Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,630 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just a thought: What's the chances of getting the staff to put the cookbook in downloadable form? I think as it matures and grows, there will be a demand for it; I know I would be willing to share it with friends and even the car club. I think it has other possibilities; perhaps a bit of self-serving info on GTT and maybe even a sponsor? I would personally be willing to pay say $15 or so for a hard copy for Sharn Jean and myself, even assuming the downloadable version was free.

I would be happy to share quite a few other tried and proven family recipes.

Anyone?

·
Premium Member
10,057 Posts
Right now the cookbook is a collection of links to threads where people have posted recipes. In order to be downloadable, all the recipes would need to be copied into a single document. It would be time consuming to do, but a basic copy/ paste would work though any included photos may not make the transfer.

It's something anyone could do, and then we could host the single document somewhere that it's accessible.

·
Premium Member
6,593 Posts
It's something anyone could do, and then we could host the single document somewhere that it's accessible.
I think HE is volunteering. :mocking:

·
Premium Member
10,057 Posts
I think HE is volunteering. :mocking:
:flag_of_truce:

We've got so much going on right now it's hard to add another project. For the time being most of my posting is done from my phone, trying to create a document the size of a cookbook would be incredibly difficult and time consuming.

·
Premium Member
6,593 Posts
:flag_of_truce:

We've got so much going on right now it's hard to add another project. For the time being most of my posting is done from my phone, trying to create a document the size of a cookbook would be incredibly difficult and time consuming.
You misunderstood, 2Lane is volunteering. This isn't the first time one of our fine members has suggested we ain't got nothing else to do.

·
Premium Member
4,630 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You misunderstood, 2Lane is volunteering. This isn't the first time one of our fine members has suggested we ain't got nothing else to do.
Excuse me. I was not suggesting anything of the sort. I was merely asking a good faith question; the last thing I expected was a cheeky answer. Please disregard my post.

·
Premium Member
6,593 Posts
Excuse me. I was not suggesting anything of the sort. I was merely asking a good faith question; the last thing I expected was a cheeky answer. Please disregard my post.
Sorry but, it was more than a question, it was a request for someone to take on a huge task. I like to use some humor around here and forget that not everyone is so easy going, my apologies. :hi:

·
Premium Member
6,593 Posts
And in addition, this is a great idea, if one of our members is willing to put in the time for such project we are more then willing to post it in a sticky for all to use. :thumbup1gif:

·
Premium Member
727 Posts
And in addition, this is a great idea, if one of our members is willing to put in the time for such project we are more then willing to post it in a sticky for all to use. :thumbup1gif:
I'd volunteer to assemble the document as long as I have the latitude to work on it as I have time. I'd like to get it done yet this winter, as I have a garage/shop build coming up this spring. I'm thinking a single .PDF with the content from the recipe post, clickable links to the original posts (for additional information) and a table of contents with clickable bookmarks would suffice?

·
Premium Member
4,630 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Sorry but, it was more than a question, it was a request for someone to take on a huge task. I like to use some humor around here and forget that not everyone is so easy going, my apologies. :hi:
I offer my apologies also. I did not understand that it was a huge task, and I never meant to suggest that the staff didn't have enough to do. FWIW, I have great respect and admiration for the staff here, primarily because it is such a top notch site...that didn't come by accident; the personality and character of any organization comes from the top down.

Regards,
Dennis

·
Administrator
17,300 Posts
I'd volunteer to assemble the document as long as I have the latitude to work on it as I have time. I'd like to get it done yet this winter, as I have a garage/shop build coming up this spring. I'm thinking a single .PDF with the content from the recipe post, clickable links to the original posts (for additional information) and a table of contents with clickable bookmarks would suffice?

That's a fantastic offer 56!

I think there are two issues at play here:

1) The "pdf" or "doc" file would have to be updated every time a new recipe is added, then uploaded to the forum in place of the old one so it stays current. Then, a post would have to be made to the thread so everyone know's it's been updated. Neither of which is a huge deal, but it would require some moderator or administrator intervention to help edit the original post that contains the file.

2) After awhile, the file will become to large and exceed the upload limits, so there will have to be a second file made...then a third and so on. Again, not insurmountable problems, just "food" for thought before this whole thing becomes a recipe for disaster (pun's intended :laugh:)

·
Premium Member
727 Posts
That's a fantastic offer 56!

I think there are two issues at play here:

1) The "pdf" or "doc" file would have to be updated every time a new recipe is added, then uploaded to the forum in place of the old one so it stays current. Then, a post would have to be made to the thread so everyone know's it's been updated. Neither of which is a huge deal, but it would require some moderator or administrator intervention to help edit the original post that contains the file.

2) After awhile, the file will become to large and exceed the upload limits, so there will have to be a second file made...then a third and so on. Again, not insurmountable problems, just "food" for thought before this whole thing becomes a recipe for disaster (pun's intended :laugh:)
I believe I'll assemble the raw file in MSWord or a google doc and make a pdf, so each format in theory could be made available assuming there's physical space. I personally like PDFs since it offers the utility of making links within the file to jump from a table of content item to the actual recipe.

What if we shot for a quarterly or semi-annual update rather than with each new update? The annual calendar would be in the sticky so everyone would know the next release date and the last date for inclusion into the next issue.
I'd be willing to work with whom ever, that certainly isn't a problem, you all seem pretty friendly.:thumbup1gif::flag_of_truce:

Let's make this happen!! Is there a graphics person in the house that would like to make a cover? Otherwise I could always kluge something together. I would entertain offers if others would like to help, in the vein of "community spirit".

·
Administrator
20,363 Posts
I've kinda spear-headed the cookbook thing from the get-go. Let me know what I can do to help you out. I can update the thread with your file at any time. :good2:

·
GTT's Pilot in Command (PIC)
8,558 Posts
Since I am so tech challenged, I'll add my thoughts. I think a downloadable cookbook would be great, as long as, we did not lose the thread of the cookbook we have here. I enjoy reading the recipes already posted and planning how I can make them fit into a new trial for me. If the current thread would disappear, I would be unhappy. Otherwise, the more places we can share the GTT cookbook, and enjoy the recipes, I'm all in for that!

·
Administrator
20,363 Posts
The current thread as you see it now FG, would not go anywhere. :good2: At this point we're talking about adding an attachment to that first post that is a downloadable file of all the posted recipes. Right now all that thread is is a compilation of links to all of the recipes that have been posted.

A downloadable file would allow you to access all of the recipes from your computer at any time without the need to be connected to the Internet assuming you downloaded the file. :lol:

·
Premium Member
727 Posts
Since I am so tech challenged, I'll add my thoughts. I think a downloadable cookbook would be great, as long as, we did not lose the thread of the cookbook we have here. I enjoy reading the recipes already posted and planning how I can make them fit into a new trial for me. If the current thread would disappear, I would be unhappy. Otherwise, the more places we can share the GTT cookbook, and enjoy the recipes, I'm all in for that!
You know you bring up a great point that would be easy to include and I'd hope this wouldn't replace the thread.

It's one thing to have the actual recipe, but all the fodder in the thread that accompanies the recipe is almost as good as the recipe itself. I'll make a note of the post that contains the recipe, and include a link to it in the document. In theory, you could mash a link and go directly to the thread where it originated.

You wouldn't want alpha test on your phone would you???

·
Premium Member
6,593 Posts
Darwin,

:thumbup1gif::thumbup1gif::thumbup1gif:

·
GTT's Pilot in Command (PIC)
8,558 Posts
You know you bring up a great point that would be easy to include and I'd hope this wouldn't replace the thread.

It's one thing to have the actual recipe, but all the fodder in the thread that accompanies the recipe is almost as good as the recipe itself. I'll make a note of the post that contains the recipe, and include a link to it in the document. In theory, you could mash a link and go directly to the thread where it originated.

You wouldn't want alpha test on your phone would you???
I think it would be nice to have the cookbook, in conjunction with the thread. Thanks for offering to do that. REALLY great!! :good2:

What's alpha test? :unknown:

·
Premium Member
727 Posts
I think it would be nice to have the cookbook, in conjunction with the thread. Thanks for offering to do that. REALLY great!! :good2:

What's alpha test? :unknown:
The first test run...everyone seems to relate to beta testing, but alpha is where it's at!

·
Premium Member
727 Posts
The first test run...everyone seems to relate to beta testing, but alpha is where it's at!
Speaking of first run, I've made substantial progress in getting the recipes assembled into a PDF. If there are recipes in your private, closely guarded collection that you would like to include, please get them posted to the Cooking/Grilling/Food thread.

If you want to see what is in the current document, the http://www.greentractortalk.com/forums/cooking-grilling-food/11370-official-green-tractor-talk-cookbook.html thread assembled by dieselshadow has a really nice index. Not to say that you cannot duplicate a recipe that's already listed, but if you have a recipe that would fill an obvious hole, by all means let's get it added.:good2:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts