Green Tractor Talk banner

Downward Exhaust to Upward Exhaust

595 Views 16 Replies 9 Participants Last post by  bjpeiffer
I just purchased a 1020 gas. It's being tuned up before I bring it home. It has the downward exhaust. What might it entail to switch it to upward. Are the exhaust manifolds the same? Assuming I can find either a hood with the hole cut out, or have it cut out. Thanks!!
Reactions: Stevo3556
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Welcome to GTT from Texas.

Sorry I don't own a 1020, so don't have any advice for you.

I'm sure someone with great advise will step up shortly.

If you search there might be a thread on just that. I believe I read one at least a year ago on converting the large frame tractors. Always wondered if that would be better on my 4044M, might be more in my face without a cab and easier for trees to try an modify the design.....

Steve
Thanks Steve! I'll continue searching.

Bruce.
Yes you will need a different manifold T20251.
Reactions: 2mtrucks
Thank you! I appreciate this!

Bruce.
If you can't find the correct manifold you could try fabricating a pipe to accommodate a muffler.

Drinkware Font Liquid Still life photography Glass
Wheel Tire Vehicle Tractor Automotive tire

Wheel Tire Vehicle Tractor Automotive tire
Drinkware Font Liquid Still life photography Glass
Reactions: Stevo3556
Thank you! It might come to that.

Bruce.
Reactions: flyweight
Maybe you can find someone with an up exhaust the wants to swap. Don't cut your hood until you search that possibility.
I have seen posts where a guy has looked for years for down exhaust hood with no luck. Different model, but same principle.
There are advantages to downwards
no issues with door height, tree limbs, exhaust fumes, discoloration of hood from the heat transfer, less exhaust noise. No chance of rain going down exhaust unless u have muffler flap on upward exhaust or 90degree turn
This is what it will look like.
Green Motor vehicle Gas Machine Auto part

Vehicle Tractor Automotive tire Agricultural machinery Motor vehicle
Thank you! It might come to that.

Bruce.
A fabricated vertical exhaust makes sense to me. No destroying the hood or if you want to go back to a down system. May be less expensive in the long run.
Yes, don't destroy the hood.

I actually did the opposite on a 2440. It broke one day while brush hogging and a tree limb rubbed on muffler. When I had manifold welded I was told this was the last time. It had been welded so many times before. So to avoid it happening again I reversed it.

Brings me to a question. What is the reason you want to change it?

Attachments

Reactions: flyweight
Disadvantage to horizontal mufflers. One must stop engine when attaching 3 pt equipment if no quick hitch is available because exhaust fumes are very annoying. If factory upright muffler is added one will need to cut hole in hood. On 95°+ F temp the muffler will roast operators left foot. BTDT
no issues with door height, tree limbs, exhaust fumes, discoloration of hood from the heat transfer, less exhaust noise. No chance of rain going down exhaust unless u have muffler flap on upward exhaust or 90degree turn
Just thinking....direct it out the front like a CUT.
Disadvantage to horizontal mufflers. One must stop engine when attaching 3 pt equipment if no quick hitch is available because exhaust fumes are very annoying. If factory upright muffler is added one will need to cut hole in hood. On 95°+ F temp the muffler will roast operators left foot. BTDT
On my 1967 1020RU the exhaust goes down and out under the axel. and it works great. I used it heavily to mow 4 acres with a 72" Landpride finish mower behind it. I replaced the muffler a few years back and I thought about changing it to a up flow, but with the new manifold and so i decided not to.
Good input. Thanks
1 - 17 of 17 Posts