Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

The last couple months the tractor has a strong burning/diesel smell. I'm suspecting something is wrong with the DPF. It still collects soot on the gauge and runs the odd regen, but this new smell is very different compared to when i first got the tractor.

I have a about 300hrs on it.

Anyone else had or heard of the DPF going so soon? Is this a warranty item or will I need to pay for cleaning or replacement?

Thanks.

·
Registered
4,493 Posts
Hi all,

The last couple months the tractor has a strong burning/diesel smell. I'm suspecting something is wrong with the DPF. It still collects soot on the gauge and runs the odd regen, but this new smell is very different compared to when i first got the tractor.

I have a about 300hrs on it.

Anyone else had or heard of the DPF going so soon? Is this a warranty item or will I need to pay for cleaning or replacement?

Thanks.
I think the emission related components are warrantied for 5 years. I'm thinking that the EPA mandates that.
I would give it a good looking over, as it could be a mouse, like coaltrain said.
It could be the winter diesel, or just bad diesel.

·
Registered
533 Posts
I've only had mine for one season, but I noticed when I put winter diesel in which had 30% #1 diesel according to the supplier, that it smelled somewhat different, I just filled the tank with diesel that doesn't have any #1 in it and didn't notice if it changed. one note, I got the different smell when blowing heavy snow at full throttle and haven't worked the tractor when back to regular diesel.

·
Registered
442 Posts
If you don’t have any active codes you don’t have a problem with the DPF. It could possibly be the diesel fuel or an additive you put in the fuel.

·
Premium Member
2020 2038R w220R MSL
146 Posts
Thanks for this thread. I have only used my 2038R for 24 hours so far but have noticed several smells which are not of the typical diesel variety. They seem to change as the engine goes up though the heat cycle. Sounds like the DPF system is doing its job and I am not loosing my mind. :)

·
Registered
3046R with 385a, 320R.
763 Posts
Thanks for this thread. I have only used my 2038R for 24 hours so far but have noticed several smells which are not of the typical diesel variety. They seem to change as the engine goes up though the heat cycle. Sounds like the DPF system is doing its job and I am not loosing my mind. :)
I’ve noticed that on my 3046 as well. Coming from a non emissions diesel which had 1 glorious smell, I now get a range of “clean diesel” smells which I’m not fond of.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts