Green Tractor Talk banner

DR 3pth Trimmer?

18K views 32 replies 13 participants last post by  Jer 
#1 ·
#4 ·
Looks like a neat innovation! I kind of puckered up when he was trimming the bank by the pond though. Envisioned the tractor sliding down the bank into the water. I wonder if it works with Green tractors.....???

Reactions: Levi and budman
#5 ·
Some of the reviews on this are misleading from what I can tell.
Saw at least a couple with 5 stars but the comments indicate the customer was not happy with the trimmer.

DR Power 3-Point Hitch Trimmer Mower: String Trimmer and Fence Mower

Here's one regarding their 90 day return policy:
Shaky at best

Posted by: Stephen T. from GREENWOOD, VA on 07/30/2014

Rating:

We returned our three point hitch mower today, it could not handle the rough grounds of the cattle fields. We do have a walk behind DR what we like and i was going to ask for a equal value trade on the return guarantee, but they deduct 'free shipping' from your returns so out of the $1K that I spent, I am only getting back $600 on my trade therefore I will not order another machine

#6 ·
That threw me too on the star rating. But reading through the
reviews,it sounded like many people were having setup issues.
That is why I am asking here if anyone has tried this product.

Reactions: Levi
#7 · (Edited)
DR is CRAP!!!!!!! I have a pto chipper, that has a belt drive. I was feeding it one day, and the thing got jammed.:banghead: The pto shaft twisted before the belt slipped. I had a heckuva time getting that thing off the tractor when it was stuck in the highest position on the three point. Now, recent models might have a slip clutch, if not, you will want to get a hole drilled for a shear pin.

Just my $0.02

Reactions: budman
#12 ·
DR is CRAP!!!!!!! I have a pto chipper, that has a belt drive. I was feeding it one day, and the thing got jammed.:banghead: The pto shaft twisted before the belt slipped. I had a heckuva time getting that thing off the tractor when it was stuck in the highest position on the three point. Now, recent models might have a slip clutch, if not, you will want to get a hole drilled for a shear pin.

Just my $0.02
I too have a PTO driven chipper from DR. Bought it in Feb. 2004. It's works great for me. No shaft twisted, no belt slipping and I chip up to 4½" limbs of all kinds of wood. Hard, soft and everything in between. Only thing I get plugged is the chute where it comes out if I don't get it cleared away in time. My chute is the one pointing down so it doesn't take long before it piles up. That's the only thing I wish I'd have done different, get the chute that goes overhead so you can point it anywhere you want it to go. As for the PTO trimmer, I wouldn't waste my money on it. It just doesn't look like it does a good job. I'd hate to have to keep getting off the tractor to put more line on it. I could probably do a faster, better job doing it with a stihl trimmer with a self feeding head.

Reactions: budman
#8 · (Edited)
I've looked into one in the past for trimming around our post and rail fence. The actual results and reviews where not good. DR does make good stuff, but this one isn't strong. I've been considering a lawn vac for a number of years - maybe one day.

What I did end up doing is using Cal-Mix pellets as a soil sterilant under the fence to keep things tidy. Works great.

-J.

#9 ·
I gotta admit. It looks like a cool implement if you have alot of grassy fencelines to mow.
Although that along the pond slope cutting for an extra couple feet looks like a recipe for disaster.

#10 ·
This is the thing, I know a lot of people with lots of fence line that is
accessible to my size tractor. So this looked handy.

#11 ·
I think there was some issue with the string mechanism...... sounds vaguely familiar

-J.

#13 · (Edited by Moderator)
I have also wondered about this DR PTO-driven trimmer. I've mostly had good luck with DR, had 2 of their walk-behind trimmers and have been happy with them. But they really tire me out any more to push, so some time back I ordered one of their self-propelled trimmers. Trimmer part itself was OK (same as the others), but the self-propelled part used sprag clutches in the wheels for the pulling power, but there was no way for it to free-wheel in reverse. Once I'd pulled it backward a few times (as you must sometimes when trimming) the sprag rollers turned over and then the axle just spun in the wheels and was no longer self-propelled.

I called them about it and they said I must have gotten some defective wheels so they sent me a new set of wheels. I put them on and within 20 minutes the same thing happened again. I pulled one of the sprags out and looked at it and sure enough, "Made in China". So I returned the whole thing.

I am now seriously considering one of these:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tfQZcWQY4Zc

#14 ·
What does a guy pay for one of those?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#18 ·
I mow commercially, and IMO you would always be putting string on that.. When you encounter an post or anything, with a hand held you can position away quickly so your not digging the string into the object.. I know it swings away but still.. I think Swisher makes a pull type and 3pt mounted too, and I looked into one of those, but decided to do it by hand cause I really didnt think Id save any time.. 1 you have to drive slow, and 2 always be putting string on...

I have one job with several hundred fence posts to trim around weekly, and I can do it in between a hour and hour/half.. Then another section 4 times a year that takes me 3 hrs to trim.. I can go down one side of fence and get all around the posts with the handheld, where as the pull behind or the mounted ones I would have to go down both sides..

#17 ·
:think: For what? :unknown:

Because I embedded your video? That's no big deal at all....:good2: No worries.

#19 ·
That things interests me to some degree. It'd be nice around our flower beds and deck, etc.... Edging would be nice too. It may be too much effort to try and save a few minutes, however....

#20 ·
I agree with newt here. When I was mowing commercially I got good with a hand held trimmer on a sling. A couple properties with split rail fence and a couple cemetarys. I got to the point where I could keep up while walking at a comstant slow walk. I actually got rid of my push mower I had for doing small areas that I couldn't get my zero turn to - i found it faster to just grab the trimmer and go.

But all that has changed now - my only means of triming at home is with chemical now.

#26 ·
I like the idea; but if the string pukes as quickly on this thing as it does on gas powered hand trimmers, then I can see a lot of frustration using this implement.

I did see someone inquired about using blades instead and DR just said they have had numerous requests and are looking into it.

I guess one could go adapt the thing to use stainless steel aircraft cable; but that opens up a whole can of worms too.

Reactions: gbnpp05
#30 ·
My neighbor built a fence, and he takes care of the damn weeds, etc that grows under it. They are the best neighbors we've ever had.

#31 ·
I want your Neighbors.

#32 ·
They are great neighbors Jer. They are quiet, respectful, keep their property looking great (unlike me), and so on. Actually most of our neighbors are pretty good. The few schmucks that I know of have either moved off our block, or live far enough away so as not to cause us any trouble.

#33 ·
That's great. I can't complain at all. We're so spaced out that it's really not an issue. There are some "burning barrel" smells sometimes, but whatever..... I guess that's maybe offset by our Sunday afternoon artillery-fests....

-J.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.