Green Tractor Talk banner

61 - 80 of 111 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,052 Posts
Also... Have you diked and damned around your driveway and critical areas of your property? With the loader, that pile of stone, and some dirt, you should be able to at least protect your driveway. It's going to be pretty bad the next 7 days.

·
Premium Member
473 Posts
Discussion Starter #62
When it is dry, can you look at what is going on where the culvert goes under the road? Is it clogged or just too small for the "newly increased volume"?
Yes I crawled down in there. Both is the answer. Not only is it too small to pass the increased drainage, but it's halfway plugged. Notice in my last video, most of the water isn't even going under the road. It found a new path around, and part of that new path is through my yard.

·
Premium Member
473 Posts
Discussion Starter #63
Also... Have you diked and damned around your driveway and critical areas of your property? With the loader, that pile of stone, and some dirt, you should be able to at least protect your driveway. It's going to be pretty bad the next 7 days.
House is safe, nothing critical in path, it just cuts across a corner of the driveway. I know it can erode under, but I have shored up the edges with some of the stone. I haven't been able to get to the pile much because that entire area has stayed soaked. I took the 1025r in there once and turned it into a muddy mess.

·
Premium Member
473 Posts
Discussion Starter #64
Just wanted to follow up on this, I forgot to post this video. They came out and did a lot of surveying. I expect that they were gathering the data they need to get this right. It's winter now, so I doubt they'll tackle it until spring, but based on the breadth and depth of the surveying, I think they're planning something major here. Couple that with the fact that as previously mentioned, the airport runway extension now directs all run off through here, it would make sense that something more substantial is coming.

ALSO, circling all the way back to the first post where I talked about in the process of acquiring the acreage around me...,

1) For the lot to the right of "me," where this drainage issue is, there was some progress made with getting it from the county, but then it came to a halt. The county wanted only 1600 dollars for the acre, but there is 10K+ back taxes owed. The county said I had to work out a deal with the local taxing authorities, so I went to the township and school district. I said simply, "Look, it's been 10 years or so since you've received any revenue from this property, and I'm willing to start paying revenue ASAP, but I'm not willing to pay back taxes. Deal?" The township manager seemed keen to play, but the school district balked. They wanted to negotiate a settlement and I said "Then I withdraw my offer. You can continue not getting any revenue from a worthless lot. Have you seen what they're going to do to it for drainage?"

I simply refuse to pay back taxes on an otherwise worthless lot. You've seen what they're going to do on it. I simply wanted to be able to say I have "7 acres" even if most of that acre would be useless. That said, I am improving the 1/2 acre that is right next to me and I'm going to make it a park like woodsy setting. Based on PA state law, I can take the lot in 21 years anyway. The county will never do anything with it and no one will ever build on it because of that drainage project.

2) For the 5 acres to my left and behind me, me and the owner have been at a stalemate for about 9 months. I started at 15K, which I know was low, and he started at 30K. I said the most I would pay was 20K and stood my ground for that 9 months. He'd call occasionally and talk about timber value and threaten "I'm going to come clear the trees and create a nice building lot and then sell it." :munch: I continued to counter with the fact that there's a major sewage right of way right in front of the swampy area, which really limits the building potential, plus an above ground manhole in the middle of one of the lots, and the swampy area. I kept hammering on the fact that really, it's not suitable for building at all.

Well out of nowhere he calls me the other day and says he'll take 22K. That's the closest we've been, and I told him I would think about it over the holidays. I'm not going to lose the potential to insulate myself from future building, as unlikely as it may be, for 2K.

So that's good news.

I do intend on putting a pole barn on the 1 acre right to my left. :thumbup1gif:

·
Registered
23,595 Posts
Looking at all the survey markers I still say you will be getting a new box culvert installed or better. This will be put out for bid so don’t hold your breath for anything happeneing in 2019. Even once started the contractors seem to take an entire year to put these in around here.

Hope you get that piece of land. After we bought out place a little 1 acre piece came up which bordered our north line. We couldn’t afford it at the time but buying this piece would ensure our privacy having no other house or building within our view. I took a chance and offered 1/2 what the owner was asking (whom I knew - our local Deere dealership owner) and he thankfully accepted it. Had to do some real financial juggling but was well worth it.

·
Premium Member
473 Posts
Discussion Starter #66
Looking at all the survey markers I still say you will be getting a new box culvert installed or better. This will be put out for bid so don’t hold your breath for anything happeneing in 2019. Even once started the contractors seem to take an entire year to put these in around here.

Hope you get that piece of land. After we bought out place a little 1 acre piece came up which bordered our north line. We couldn’t afford it at the time but buying this piece would ensure our privacy having no other house or building within our view. I took a chance and offered 1/2 what the owner was asking (whom I knew - our local Deere dealership owner) and he thankfully accepted it. Had to do some real financial juggling but was well worth it.
Thanks for the info. I'll continue to drive this through my local rep from a safety standpoint. The damage is so significant now that after that tropical storm came through, the road is continuously covered with flowing water. The township road crew tried to come dig another ditch, but it has since filled up and water is flowing across the road again.

I know the gears of government grind slow, but when this freezes up, I'm going to send him pictures and videos of that new danger and hopefully get some grease on the gears.

Reactions: coaltrain

·
Registered
23,595 Posts
Thanks for the info. I'll continue to drive this through my local rep from a safety standpoint. The damage is so significant now that after that tropical storm came through, the road is continuously covered with flowing water. The township road crew tried to come dig another ditch, but it has since filled up and water is flowing across the road again.

I know the gears of government grind slow, but when this freezes up, I'm going to send him pictures and videos of that new danger and hopefully get some grease on the gears.
Good for you keeping pics - like you said - if it freezes while running over the road......

I will say however that you've gotten some pretty fast and good results so far as PennDOT is concerned. I just hope you can enjoy your property soon - all of it - without being under water.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Hang in there Justin. And keep taking pictures to document the situation.

Thanks for sharing your story here. Interesting for me to read about PennDOT and your local government situations.

Good luck, Doug

Reactions: JustinHEMI

·
Premium Member
473 Posts
Discussion Starter #69
One of the engineers called me today and explained to me what all those flags were for. It's part of the hydraulic study and they used lasers and GPS to map the terrain and flow through that area. They recognize the importance of correcting the drainage in this area and are a "pulling out all the stops," his words.

·
Registered
23,595 Posts
One of the engineers called me today and explained to me what all those flags were for. It's part of the hydraulic study and they used lasers and GPS to map the terrain and flow through that area. They recognize the importance of correcting the drainage in this area and are a "pulling out all the stops," his words.
At least it sounds like they are doing it right.

What a year with record rainfall. At least with the hydraulic study they are accounting for the worst possible scenario going forward.

·
Premium Member
473 Posts
Discussion Starter #71
Just an update, I haven't posted much lately just been kinda busy with work and projects, one of the project was this, putting in a couple of catch basins, 6" drain pipes, and raising the level of the yard. Regardless of the state fixing the flooding problem, this area of the yard still needed some grading, I think, and because of the new driveway, a lot of water flows off of it into the yard.

I put a catch basin right where most of the water goes, and used 6" pipe to take it to the swampy area. I cleared that with the township and state first. One guy asked "isn't that where it ends up anyway?" It's refreshing to talk to a government worker with logic. I also installed another one at the other corner of the driveway because when that road floods, that's another area that sees a lot of water. However, I still have work to do on that lot to make it fully functional. Speaking of that lot, I've finally received taxing authority greenlight to acquire that lot from the county without paying back taxes. As soon as the deed in in my hand, I'm also going grade that a little better. I've already stripped most of the brush off of it. Then I'll ensure that this drain is functional. Right now, it'll only catch water when the road floods.

The state claims they're going to close the road and fix it this summer. Fingers crossed.

·
Registered
23,595 Posts
Nice work! It’s great to see your results with the first good rainfall.

I thought us in this area were getting out of the record rainfalls and saturated ground but it’s not looking so good now and the immediate future.

Glad to hear the state is getting the work done this summer.

And congrats on the new piece of property - the more the better!

·
Premium Member
473 Posts
Discussion Starter #73 (Edited)
Finally official on that lot!

ETA more context because I never followed up on the post below.

1) This is for the lot from the county, the 1 acre to the right of me in the photo in the original post, where the drainage will be. New people in local government saw my logic, and we finally got it done.

2) The other acres with the guy that finally gave me a number fell through when I said "deal." He got cold feet. It seems he thinks it's worth way more than I do. He said he'd clear the trees, build a house, and make 50k. :unknown: I told him to go ahead then. I did send him a package of materials detailing why I felt the property was worth what I was offering, including deeds, condemnations, rights of ways, and most importantly, the FEMA floodzone map which has the floodzone of this creek way worse on his lots to where folks would need flood insurance, if they could build at all. In fact, I came to find out that a previous deal he had on that property fell through when the buyer learned that they weren't going to be able to do anything with it. There's too much "wet land" and then the sewage right of way takes up a bunch of the property near the wet land, and that would mean a house would be up against the road. The county has set back rules so, again, like I told him, there's really not much anyone can do with it. In the package I included a best and final offer that was good for 1 year, but reduced by 10% every 90 days. I haven't heard from him, and I don't expect I will. Good luck to him!

ALSO, circling all the way back to the first post where I talked about in the process of acquiring the acreage around me...,

1) For the lot to the right of "me," where this drainage issue is, there was some progress made with getting it from the county, but then it came to a halt. The county wanted only 1600 dollars for the acre, but there is 10K+ back taxes owed. The county said I had to work out a deal with the local taxing authorities, so I went to the township and school district. I said simply, "Look, it's been 10 years or so since you've received any revenue from this property, and I'm willing to start paying revenue ASAP, but I'm not willing to pay back taxes. Deal?" The township manager seemed keen to play, but the school district balked. They wanted to negotiate a settlement and I said "Then I withdraw my offer. You can continue not getting any revenue from a worthless lot. Have you seen what they're going to do to it for drainage?"

I simply refuse to pay back taxes on an otherwise worthless lot. You've seen what they're going to do on it. I simply wanted to be able to say I have "7 acres" even if most of that acre would be useless. That said, I am improving the 1/2 acre that is right next to me and I'm going to make it a park like woodsy setting. Based on PA state law, I can take the lot in 21 years anyway. The county will never do anything with it and no one will ever build on it because of that drainage project.

2) For the 5 acres to my left and behind me, me and the owner have been at a stalemate for about 9 months. I started at 15K, which I know was low, and he started at 30K. I said the most I would pay was 20K and stood my ground for that 9 months. He'd call occasionally and talk about timber value and threaten "I'm going to come clear the trees and create a nice building lot and then sell it." :munch: I continued to counter with the fact that there's a major sewage right of way right in front of the swampy area, which really limits the building potential, plus an above ground manhole in the middle of one of the lots, and the swampy area. I kept hammering on the fact that really, it's not suitable for building at all.

Well out of nowhere he calls me the other day and says he'll take 22K. That's the closest we've been, and I told him I would think about it over the holidays. I'm not going to lose the potential to insulate myself from future building, as unlikely as it may be, for 2K.

So that's good news.

I do intend on putting a pole barn on the 1 acre right to my left. :thumbup1gif:

·
Registered
23,595 Posts
1 lot down - 1 to go...maybe.

That guy will probably hold on to that lot forever.

About 2 years after we bought this place - and we were broker than broke - the place to our north sold. The is a 1 acre piece next to it on my side. Both are out of the view from my house so it wasn’t a big deal to us - as long as we don’t see any neighbors. His price was high of course. We offered half what he was asking as that it all it was worth to us.

I was very surprised that he took the offer. For what I paid I am glad to have that extra piece.

·
Premium Member
473 Posts
Discussion Starter #75
I might as well post an update about the state drainage work, which didn't happen this year. I called and they said they are working on the environmental permitting. :banghead:

Government can't get out of its own way.

Another side note is that I now own the lot that they're going to work on. I wonder if they will reach out to me see there is no right of way or any other indication of encumbrance for drainage?

I'll continue to to clear and work that lot patiently waiting for them to get to work. I really hope they do a great job. I don't want to go too crazy until I see what they do.

Here's some of the progress I made this summer. This was once choked with jaggars. I've basically cleared up to the point where the drainage is. I'm going to start on the other side this winter now that I own the lot.

·
Registered
23,595 Posts
Looks great! I know all about jagger bushes.....

I feel it won’t hurt anything to do that clearing ahead of time. Maybe it will give the engineers/powers to be a better sight of the effect of what they will be doing to your property.

·
Premium Member
473 Posts
Discussion Starter #77
Here's what their inaction is doing to their road, making the job bigger and bigger as time goes by. Because the water has found any way that it can to cross the road, and cut new ditches, it has begun eating away at the road in these areas, up to 15 feet away from the main drain!

I'm sending these photos to Penndot and my representative to again kick them in the butt.

·
Corndog Hater
11,875 Posts
Yep! Send the pics!!

Reactions: JustinHEMI

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
So in your video about the catch basins and drain pipe, did you dig the trenches for all that with your backhoe or rent something to do it?
Any pictures of that going in?
My neighbor has some pretty good runoff we need to do something with to manage flooding around his house and garage, and after some research, figured a catch basin or two, with even a 4" pipe would clear it out. Id thought about doing that with the 260B.
We have an 8 or 10" pipe running through the woods to a buried culvert pipe (county calls it a named ditch), that we can run to. Here, the county only owns/maintains whats near the road, nothing on property unless its specifically labeled on their maps, and ours isnt, so good news there I guess in that we can manage it ourselves.

·
Premium Member
473 Posts
Discussion Starter #80
So in your video about the catch basins and drain pipe, did you dig the trenches for all that with your backhoe or rent something to do it?
Any pictures of that going in?
My neighbor has some pretty good runoff we need to do something with to manage flooding around his house and garage, and after some research, figured a catch basin or two, with even a 4" pipe would clear it out. Id thought about doing that with the 260B.
We have an 8 or 10" pipe running through the woods to a buried culvert pipe (county calls it a named ditch), that we can run to. Here, the county only owns/maintains whats near the road, nothing on property unless its specifically labeled on their maps, and ours isnt, so good news there I guess in that we can manage it ourselves.
I rented a mini ex because I don't have the hoe for my tractor. Sorry, no pictures since it didn't have my tractor in it. Just some trenches, pipe, cloth, gravel. 6" pipe for the main drains, didn't want it clogging easily.

61 - 80 of 111 Posts