Green Tractor Talk banner

81 - 100 of 111 Posts

·
Registered
2,841 Posts
What’s the significance of the buried gas line locates?

·
Premium Member
473 Posts
Discussion Starter #82
What’s the significance of the buried gas line locates?

Sorry I didn't realize there was a reply to this so long ago, and I hadn't been here in a bit, been busy with other things. Anyway, on that, it's funny. There's a telephone pole in the developing trench and the electric company came through and replaced all the poles on this road, including the one that's getting washed away lol. It's right out of frame of the picture showing the road dissolving away. I spoke to the crew doing it and explained the situation and showed them that the pole location is being eroded away. They just shrugged and said they follow the plan. :rolleyes:

ANYWAY. I came to update where I am on this. Months went by again with nothing happening. "OK, Covid maybe," I thought. But I did get in touch with the original engineer and the following is the conversation I've had over the last few months, and the last couple of days.

ME: "Mr. Engineer,

You're listed as the project manager for the project and I'm writing to inquire about the status.The road continues to flood and the roadway itself is now being eroded away. My property is being severely eroded and the flooding is damaging my new driveway.

I know that the world is focused on CONVID-19 and that many PennDot projects are probably going to be delayed, but I'd like to know what/when the intended repairs to this drainage is going to take place? I first raised this concern 2.5 years ago.

I'm linking the many videos that I've taken over the years. I'm also attaching photos of the roadway erosion. Both the flooding and road erosion are major safety hazards."

HIM: "Hi Justin,

I was working on the issue on McClain Road during a temporary reassignment to PENNDOT Maintenance, I have since returned to my regular position in our design section. So I am unaware of the current status.

These other guys would be able to get you an answer (I copied them on this e-mail)."

Engineer 2 replied all: "Thank you for passing the info along and making me aware of the issue at this location."

That was in March, and included on all of the emails was my local state rep. So, once engineer 2 replied, I gave them a few months to see what would happen. Fast forward last Monday and we had massive storm after storm and the flooding was worse as I've ever seen it. They had police on both sides to prevent people from going through it. So I send the following email to everyone on the list.

ME: "Another huge flood last night. Police had to blockade the road. Can I please get a status update on this project? Thanks"

Engineer 2: Justin, My name is Dean I’m am the acting county manager and will be investigating your concern personally being that this issue has gone on for so long with out a plan or resolution. Please provide me your property address along with a good contact number for me to reach you so I can provide an update once I know more regarding the area of concern.
Thank you"

I so provided the information.

Then a day or two later my local state rep jumped in.

Jim: "Justin, I am meeting with Dean Friday and will continue to make your issue a priority. Sincerely,
Jim."

Then on Friday he sends,

Jim: "Justin, Dean and I were at the cross pipe today and he will update you on the timeline. Jim"

I replied

ME: "I really appreciate your help in this. It's a huge safety issue on that road as for right or wrong, people fly down the road and when it floods, I've seen many people skid across the flooding and almost lose control. When it's real bad, police come and block it.

Also, as I'm sure you saw, the road is now being eroded away from below which compounds the safety concern.

It's not just the fact that the flooding is damaging my driveway, but real public concerns as well, and I appreciate your support."

Jim: "I agree, and Dean seemed intent on a significant improvement this summer."

So that's where this saga stands. When I speak to Dean next, I'm going to see if he can include in the project budget the cost of repairs that need to be done to my driveway because of this. There is one section that was continually wetted with flood waters that is now crumbling away because it never cured properly. Otherwise, it's off to court I go.

Reactions: BigJim55 and rtgt

·
Registered
23,595 Posts
And the saga continues....patience is a virtue I guess. Nothing much else you can do.

·
Premium Member
473 Posts
Discussion Starter #84
Dean called me personally today, he apologized profusely, and he expects to get to work end of July/Early August. He's going to meet up with me to see my concerns, and collaborate on where they're going to have materials delivered, since I now own the property where they want to start staging. I was very willing to help them and even offered to allow their workers to park in my driveway. He mentioned wanting to be a good neighbor and I expressed my appreciation for him kicking this into gear. I also inquired about them fixing my driveway, and he said although "technically" there's not much they can do, they will make sure there's enough asphalt to help me out.

·
Registered
23,595 Posts
Progress! Sometimes it takes a different person to get things into gear. I hope he comes through for you - it's been long enough!

·
Premium Member
473 Posts
Discussion Starter #86
Woo hoo! Finally starting this week! The past week they spent staging their road closed signs, and even some cones next to my mailbox. Friday, they came and cut through the pavement where they're going to dig out the drainage!
You can see some spray paint with an arrow pointing towards the drainage, a similar line is painted on the other side.

I'm hoping this indicates the breadth of the repairs they're going to make. If so, that's great news for my property.

·
Premium Member
473 Posts
Discussion Starter #87
Finally!

·
Premium Member
473 Posts
Discussion Starter #88
Making slow but sure progress. It sat much like the first picture for a long time because I think they're still waiting on the pipe and other materials.

I'm enjoying having the road closed. They can abandon the project now. :D

It's amazing how many people ignore the road closed signs at the other end of the road and have to turn around here.

·
Registered
23,595 Posts
Making slow but sure progress. It sat much like the first picture for a long time because I think they're still waiting on the pipe and other materials.

I'm enjoying having the road closed. They can abandon the project now. :D

It's amazing how many people ignore the road closed signs at the other end of the road and have to turn around here.

They usually use pre-cast concrete culverts for jobs like this. They come in sections which are lowered in and put together. They are probably made to order for each job so that is likely the hold up.

·
Premium Member
473 Posts
Discussion Starter #90
Gotcha. They're out their tinkering now but have been cutting loose pretty early.

Interestingly they have the little creek blocked off and are pumping it up over the road around the work location.

It's neat to see how they do this so up close.

I guess it's good we're sort of in a drought to make this job a little easier.

·
Premium Member
473 Posts
Discussion Starter #91
So as Murphey's law dictates, of course I had nearly 18 hours of torrential downpour and I came home to this.

The drainage system I install was completely overwhelmed, and so was the trench that they had dug. It concerned me that maybe the drainage under the road wasn't the only problem because water was just flowing out of the woods everywhere along the road, indicating that maybe there's further blockages upstream.

This is their trench the day after.

But then the pipe arrive and they started stripping back into the woods. I feel better about the scope of this project.

One positive thing about the flooding the other night, and you can see it in the photos of my yard, is that the grading I did is much more effective at running that water off the back of the property to the creek. Previously, the water would stand and the ground would be soaked for days.

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
I guess it's good we're sort of in a drought to make this job a little easier.
^^^Here's where you set yourself up!

That sucks about flooding the yard, was it enough rain that the creek would have been above it's banks regardless of what the work crew did?

·
Premium Member
473 Posts
Discussion Starter #93
That's possible.

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
amazingly lucky the rain didnt take out the exposed utilities at the road cut......i am sure it did help them with thier excavation ...LOL....

also it looks like you will still have issues with heavy rains even after the install .....obviously the excavation was larger than the flow structure they are installing

·
Premium Member
473 Posts
Discussion Starter #95
It seems like they had the work area diked off so that might explain things. I'm going to have a conversation with them tomorrow and the concern that there might still be problems.

When I talked to the engineer when the first came out, he mentioned that he didn't think the area where the water was coming from was diked properly. He knows it's crossing the road and indicated they are going to do something, I just want to get some more details after what happened the other day.

·
Registered
23,595 Posts
It seems like they had the work area diked off so that might explain things. I'm going to have a conversation with them tomorrow and the concern that there might still be problems.

When I talked to the engineer when the first came out, he mentioned that he didn't think the area where the water was coming from was diked properly. He knows it's crossing the road and indicated they are going to do something, I just want to get some more details after what happened the other day.
Good you got some pics to show them exactly what happened with the heavy rain.

·
Premium Member
473 Posts
Discussion Starter #97
Another update, I hope yinz don't mind these, I'm sort of using this thread as a timeline archive in case I need all the details in the future. ;)

Anyway, after the last round of flooding, they came and did more work and yesterday, we had another day of continuous heavy downpour.

Progress! The flooding no longer comes down my driveway and through my yard. It is still spilling over the road but flowing through their work area now.

What's interesting is that 24 hours later, with a hot sunny day, water is still flowing over the road and you can see in the video how the creek basically found it's own way around the work area. Until today, they were trying to pump it around the work area but they appear to have given up on that.

This project is much bigger than it first appeared. I'm just happy it isn't coming down my yard right now.

·
Registered
23,595 Posts
Looking at the first pic of your last post me thinks they might better reevaluate their pipe size and/or engineering. There is way more water coming through that trench than those pipes will be able to handle.

Maybe it's a good thing you had those downpours to prove that - that is if they are even paying attention....

Keep the updates and pics coming!

·
Premium Member
1,052 Posts
Ya that looks like a lot more water than there is pipe. Once that "little" pipe is in there, all that water has to go somewhere else....

81 - 100 of 111 Posts