Green Tractor Talk banner
61 - 77 of 77 Posts
I didn't have to. NY is a Common Enemy state. This means water runoff is a common enemy to all and it is up to the individual property owner to take care of or protect them self from the water. We found this out 2 years ago when our whole neighbor dispute exploded.
I know it's not funny, but.....out west there have been fights over water for over a hundred years. CP has had his own fight here in the east but for the opposite reason.

CP, if there are any active quarries in your area, it might be worth looking for some of there blasted rock for your headwall. If you can find a piece that they drilled for their TNT (usually a 6" hole) you might be in luck!
As far as backfill goes, you're definitely in the right by going with aggregate. I've been on too many jobsites where contractors don't properly backfill and have pipe failures in the same day. No need to backfill the whole trench with aggregate, just a couple inches over the pipe itself.

CP, if there are any active quarries in your area, it might be worth looking for some of there blasted rock for your headwall. If you can find a piece that they drilled for their TNT (usually a 6" hole) you might be in luck!
As far as backfill goes, you're definitely in the right by going with aggregate. I've been on too many jobsites where contractors don't properly backfill and have pipe failures in the same day. No need to backfill the whole trench with aggregate, just a couple inches over the pipe itself.
:munch: hey-CP-come on down here's my drill rock-this is what ya need to run the end of the pipe thru:lol: Yard Garden Backyard Plant Shrub

:hide: u might want a hair smaller size rock-oh.

Discussion starter · #64 ·
That rock is cool Jim[emoji1360] I think I am going to stack some rock I have here on hand. Once complete, my mowing and spraying in this area should keep it open and easily accessible for monitoring and maintenance [emoji1360]

That rock is cool Jim[emoji1360] I think I am going to stack some rock I have here on hand. Once complete, my mowing and spraying in this area should keep it open and easily accessible for monitoring and maintenance [emoji1360]
aw-come-on CP-it wouldn't be that bad to dig with them young backhoes u got:mocking: show that to ur boys and see how far they run-huh:laugh:

I didn't have to. NY is a Common Enemy state. This means water runoff is a common enemy to all and it is up to the individual property owner to take care of or protect them self from the water. We found this out 2 years ago when our whole neighbor dispute exploded.
Actually, I was just busting your butt, but that is interesting. Never heard of that deal.

I thought that the state government was the common enemy of all New Yorkers, especially the ones "upstaters".

Discussion starter · #68 ·
Actually, I was just busting your butt, but that is interesting. Never heard of that deal.

I thought that the state government was the common enemy of all New Yorkers, especially the ones "upstaters".
It is amazing with all the regs we have, that the DEC doesn't require something. Shhhhh, I better not say that too loud:lol:

aw-come-on CP-it wouldn't be that bad to dig with them young backhoes u got:mocking: show that to ur boys and see how far they run-huh:laugh:
They'd run right over to that golf hole we just put in. They've been living on that thing every day after school.:good2:

Discussion starter · #71 ·
Thanks for posting the drain project. I have to get going on my small project and you gave me some good ideas.

What are the vertical pipes for, is that a future cleanout?
Thanks. Yes, I put cleanouts along the way, just in case. Being a surveyor, I also mapped out where everything is with sizes, perf/solid pipe and the locations of the cleanouts as we don’t intend to own this place forever. The second pic isn’t so much a cleanout as it is an over flow I put in to capture runoff from my said problematic neighbor. Anything that’s runs off his property seems to be sludgy and slimy (how appropriate, I know[emoji23]). I put a grate cap in that vertical stand pipe to allow water in (if it ever builds up that high, which so far it hasn’t) but not all the crud. Just to the left of the grate, is a low area that his runoff outlets to and occasionally water pools up. The grate is similar to a pond overflow I suppose.

Thanks. Yes, I put cleanouts along the way, just in case. Being a surveyor, I also mapped out where everything is with sizes, perf/solid pipe and the locations of the cleanouts as we don’t intend to own this place forever. The second pic isn’t so much a cleanout as it is an over flow I put in to capture runoff from my said problematic neighbor. Anything that’s runs off his property seems to be sludgy and slimy (how appropriate, I know[emoji23]). I put a grate cap in that vertical stand pipe to allow water in (if it ever builds up that high, which so far it hasn’t) but not all the crud. Just to the left of the grate, is a low area that his runoff outlets to and occasionally water pools up. The grate is similar to a pond overflow I suppose.
Thanks for the info. I'm at the stage of buying stakes and line for my line level. A bit under your skill level.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

If the ditch is still open I would put a silt protected perforated drain pipe in the ditch for the ground water in the soil to drain also. Just being from a dry area I am not used to seeing that much water in soil here unless it is next to my lake. Then a gravel course over it with another silt screen then back fill. Nice ditch and the grass is not messed up!! When I did my water system I had the ditch dug with a Track Hoe and down 4-5 ft in areas. I always said Pipe is cheap compared to the ditch so I put a extra couple water pipes and 2" Electrical PVC Conduit for what ever to the pump house, home and power pole. I only have to mow grass in pastures twice if I do it at the right time of the year for fire season. Maybe 5-8 times for the small front dog yard. Stuff grows slow with out the rain & high water tables. I can dig down 10 ft and totally dry soil just damp enough to hold it together. Better not let that dry out before packing it again it can turn to what we call Moon Dust! Important to take advantage of some rain if your going to blade anything in the summer here. 7-12" of rain average during the spring and summer months.

Discussion starter · #75 ·
I've been trying to clean up some pics from my devices and realized I had never updated this thread. Phase 3. This was summer 2019. There has always been a spot in the front yard that is the low point and collects water. It will soak in during a long rain, within an hour or two of the rain stopping, but can pool pretty good. If it gets up high enough, it will creep over to the garage and seep in under the man door and also flow onto the concrete pad in front of the garage doors. I have always wanted to put a yard drain in. But knowing how much water I would be adding to the system, I wanted to pipe in the section of the original stone filled ditch that I didn't put pipe in.

So I bartered with my uncle for some surveying work in exchange for use of his New Holland CUT and backhoe. At the same time, I dug a trench to run electric from the garage to a post so that we could have a dedicated plug for the camper. The worst part of this job was cleaning/digging the old stone out of the ditch. I did not re-use it, I backfilled with fresh No. 2 stone.

Digging the electric trench:

Electric trench dug and pipe laid in the stretch that was previously just stone filled:

Digging the trench for the yard drain (I guess we didn't do a very good job matching the paint on the garage???):

Yard drain installed:

I also had the guy who does excavating work come in and add a parking pad:

I still have some dirt to be hauled in and yard repairs to be made, but this phase has worked well, I'm very happy with the yard drain and eliminating any pooling. And Mrs. CP loves having the ability to run the A/C in the camper.

Reactions: Gizmo2
Discussion starter · #76 ·
Phase 4 and what is the end, I hope! Despite the success of the yard drain, I still had some water coming downhill along side the landscaping by the garage and getting to the man door. I had the pipe on hand and had left a connection in the yard drain line as I suspected this may happen. I got out my manual backhoe and had this knocked out in 3 hours one afternoon last week. My oldest helped, and we were both happy with how this turned out. There is one more spot out in the back yard that I may extend a pipe that outlets behind the barn, over to an area beyond the yard. That is on the list but not a priority, but would definitely give some seat time.

Before:

During:

And after:

Reactions: Gizmo2
61 - 77 of 77 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.