Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The last few times that we used the electrolysis tank it wasn't working very well. The sludge on the bottom was getting to be a couple inches deep so I stirred it up good and opened the drain. After it was empty gave it a light scrubbing and it is now ready to refill. I need to get some more sodium carbonate before I can get it fired up. I have several jobs waiting for it.

Plant Wood Tree Land lot Grass
Wood Pollinator Plant Chair Grass
Wood Rectangle Building Stairs Tints and shades

Reactions: BigJim55

·
Registered
748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i am ignorant on this .....what is a "electrolysis tank " used for
Its used to remove rust from metal parts using a battery charger. I use it for both cast iron and sheet metal tractor parts. Here is a youtube video.

Reactions: ttazzman

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
Radiator cleaning or plating? I'm in the same boat.

·
Registered
748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I added the sodium carbonate and dropped the first part in for cleaning. This is a lower radiator tank for a John Deere 60.

Wood Gas Motor vehicle Machine Grass
Water Road surface Asphalt Automotive tire Line

·
Registered
748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Pulled the part from the tank. I rinsed it off with the hose after finding a blown hose on the small pressure washer.

Wood Grass Groundcover Gas Plant
Motor vehicle Wood Plant Grass Bumper
Wood Rectangle Grass Natural material Gas
Motor vehicle Automotive tire Bumper Wood Grass
Combat vehicle Motor vehicle Self-propelled artillery Plant Tank
Wood Track Grass Bumper Road surface

Reactions: TSK575 and ttazzman

·
Registered
748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Threw it in the blast cabinet for a quick blast. Just need to treat with Ospho and paint.

Rectangle Gas Composite material Metal Font
Jaw Art Font Artifact Domestic pig
Rectangle Gas Wood Metal Composite material

·
Registered
2,901 Posts

·
Registered
748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
wish i had a blast cabinet..........wonder what the difference would have been just blasting it without the tank process?....are you going to have to mill the gasket surfaces?
I have found that it takes a lot less blasting after running the part thru the E-tank. The rust left behind is almost powdery and cuts fast. There is some pitting, but I think I will be fine on the gasket surface. Our Unstyled AO had really bad tanks when we rebuilt the rad. Milling would not take care of it so we blasted it really good and used Devcon plastic steel to fill the gasket surface back in. We then milled it off and its still going 20 yrs later.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.