Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went out to the garage this morning and noticed the left axle leaking at the pivot on the spindle. So, I tore into it this afternoon. Only thing I could see was that seal looked a little tore up and that plate was a little dirty. Brass bushing looked ok (ever so thin on one side) and the spindle and bearings looked good.

How would you guys recommend repairing? Are there any factory repair procedeures online for putting it all back together or does someone have it that is willing to share?

BTW: Machine has 685 hrs. and I always have the ballast box on when the loader is on.

·
Registered
992 Posts
I just had the right side seal replaced about two months ago, failed without warning. Not sure what thread it's in, but somebody posted an exploded view diagram.

·
Registered
13,543 Posts
Went out to the garage this morning and noticed the left axle leaking at the pivot on the spindle. So, I tore into it this afternoon. Only thing I could see was that seal looked a little tore up and that plate was a little dirty. Brass bushing looked ok (ever so thin on one side) and the spindle and bearings looked good.

How would you guys recommend repairing? Are there any factory repair procedeures online for putting it all back together or does someone have it that is willing to share?

BTW: Machine has 685 hrs. and I always have the ballast box on when the loader is on.
FWIW---if u aren't in the bottom of ur case--then ur not deep enough yet. i had replaced my seal 2 times till i went deeper-and then i found the problem. their is a brass bushing -IIRC--been many yrs since i done mine--when the 2720 came out-jd redesigned the front cases to include a better bearing in them. i redid my to be just like a 2720--thinking i had close to 3 grand it that deal, but i have never had a problem since. do a advanced search and u should find my write up about it.

now only my left side wore out-back then i would use my brush hog for ballast--i could lift my right rear tire off the ground easy-so i really think that's why i had trouble with my tractor. after replacing the front hubs-i had a ballast box built-way bigger than what jd sells--i never weighed it-but its heavy for sure..

here is my write up about mine thanks to gizmo2 http://www.greentractortalk.com/for...16625-jd-2520-front-axle-leaking-repairs.html -good luck-come back if u need more help-ok

Reactions: glc

·
Super Moderator
6,041 Posts
I thought from 2009 and newer that the 2520 also had the upgraded front axle!

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My tractor is serial# LV2520H407409 not sure on the year.
FWIW---if u aren't in the bottom of ur case--then ur not deep enough yet. i had replaced my seal 2 times till i went deeper-and then i found the problem. their is a brass bushing -IIRC--been many yrs since i done mine--when the 2720 came out-jd redesigned the front cases to include a better bearing in them. i redid my to be just like a 2720--thinking i had close to 3 grand it that deal, but i have never had a problem since. do a advanced search and u should find my write up about it.

now only my left side wore out-back then i would use my brush hog for ballast--i could lift my right rear tire off the ground easy-so i really think that's why i had trouble with my tractor. after replacing the front hubs-i had a ballast box built-way bigger than what jd sells--i never weighed it-but its heavy for sure..

here is my write up about mine thanks to gizmo2 http://www.greentractortalk.com/for...16625-jd-2520-front-axle-leaking-repairs.html -good luck-come back if u need more help-ok
Oh boy I hope it don't cost that much. I am at the bushing and it looks good but I will likely replace it. Not sure if I should replace all the bearing as well.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well looks like a new shim and a couple of new seals and I'm back in business. The shaft, bearings and the gears all looked new. Took it down to the bare cases to inspect it all. 1st mowing for the season is just days away!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts