Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
...and this time it wasn't KennyD's fault. :)

Bucket edge was starting to get chewed up after only a few hours of clearing snow so I decided to get the bolt on cutting edge from BXpanded. And since I'm planning on doing some dirt work this spring, I figured I'd save on shipping and get the tooth bar at the same time. That's my story and I'm sticking to it...
2015-02-21 14.34.03.jpg

It doesn't seem like they remove that much material when the cut the teeth out, but the straight bar is a lot heavier when wrestling them both around. Also the tabs on the straight bar were bent out more so it took some persuasion with the BFH to get it on, but I'm assuming that is just normal manufacturing variation.
2015-02-21 14.48.31.jpg
2015-02-21 14.56.44.jpg

Where the holes ended up being didn't quite give enough clearance for the washers, so they end up a little bit bent, but I don't think it will be a problem.
2015-02-21 15.40.17.jpg

Then I immediately went out and scratched up the straight edge scraping the driveway. Had to try it out. :)

·
Administrator
18,542 Posts
...and this time it wasn't KennyD's fault. :)
I sure don't hear that much, Thanks!:laugh:

Nice addition you made, those are fantastic!

·
Registered
23,309 Posts
Wow - I was just going to start a thread about something similar this afternoon - since you are just installing your bxpanded bars I hope you can help.

My cutting edge on my 53" bucket is showing wear also after 7 years of plowing. I might opt for one of those bars, but the problem is I already have holes drilled for a custom make tooth bar. I contacted bxpanded (forget his name right off) who told me he could make me a bar without any holes drilled in the ears so I might have a chance of my holes lining up. I hate to take a $300+ chance. Also if I had to drill new holes that would be fine but I wouldn't want them very close to my existing holes in fear of weakening the bucket.

Here is a pic of my bucket holes - I'm going to take a measurement this afternoon when I get done plowing:

P1330131.JPG

P1330133.JPG

I see the mounting ears have slots for the bolts - I am really hoping my holes might line up with those slots. I hope you can help me with the measurements so I can see if that bar will work for me.

Thanks!

Edit to add: I found my email conversation with Harry where I had given him my hole dimensions.

From the cutting edge reward to the center of the hole (measuring inside the bucket) I have 8 1/2"
From the base of the inside of the bucket vertically to the center of the hole I have 1 3/8"

Reactions: Gizmo2

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
Wow - I was just going to start a thread about something similar this afternoon - since you are just installing your bxpanded bars I hope you can help.

My cutting edge on my 53" bucket is showing wear also after 7 years of plowing. I might opt for one of those bars, but the problem is I already have holes drilled for a custom make tooth bar. I contacted bxpanded (forget his name right off) who told me he could make me a bar without any holes drilled in the ears so I might have a chance of my holes lining up. I hate to take a $300+ chance. Also if I had to drill new holes that would be fine but I wouldn't want them very close to my existing holes in fear of weakening the bucket.

Here is a pic of my bucket holes - I'm going to take a measurement this afternoon when I get done plowing:

View attachment 40697

View attachment 40698

I see the mounting ears have slots for the bolts - I am really hoping my holes might line up with those slots. I hope you can help me with the measurements so I can see if that bar will work for me.

Thanks!

Edit to add: I found my email conversation with Harry where I had given him my hole dimensions.

From the cutting edge reward to the center of the hole (measuring inside the bucket) I have 8 1/2"
From the base of the inside of the bucket vertically to the center of the hole I have 1 3/8"
From what I remember, Harry will need to supply you with a custom length ear. Your holes that are pre-drilled are much further into the bucket than those on a standard BX tooth bar.

·
Registered
23,309 Posts
From what I remember, Harry will need to supply you with a custom length ear. Your holes that are pre-drilled are much further into the bucket than those on a standard BX tooth bar.
That's the way it looked when I see mjarmstr's pics - I see his bolt head is right at the heavy part of the corner of the bucket.

When I emailed back and forth with Harry he didn't offer a custom ear solution - just that he could supply a blank ear to drill my own holes.

Doesn't really matter as this was a back up plan anyway in case I can't come up with the funds this summer for the snow pusher. Just got done plowing again and was figuring in my head how much faster the pusher would be for me anyway - rough brain dead calculations give me about 1/2 the time spent plowing with the pusher. This will be a good thing as I just can't be out in the cold anymore.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

Thanks!

I agree with Tonton, your holes are farther back. The BXpanded bars come with 3/4" hardware. Looks like the slot is about 1 5/8" x 3/4" and the back of the hole is about 7" back from where the bucket edge would insert into the tooth bar.

When I was doing the installation, I put on both bars and marked them each before drilling and they two marks aligned pretty well so it looks like they are fairly consistent.

I ran out and took some pics. Nice and sunny but only about 5 degrees out...

Attachments

·
Registered
23,309 Posts
I agree with Tonton, your holes are farther back. The BXpanded bars come with 3/4" hardware. Looks like the slot is about 1 5/8" x 3/4" and the back of the hole is about 7" back from where the bucket edge would insert into the tooth bar.

When I was doing the installation, I put on both bars and marked them each before drilling and they two marks aligned pretty well so it looks like they are fairly consistent.

I ran out and took some pics. Nice and sunny but only about 5 degrees out...
Thank you so much for going back out in the cold to take the measurements and pics for me! I know what it's like out there for sure!

Yep - this verifies that they will not work for me at all. As I said this was a back up plan for the pusher but now I know that the pusher is in my future (as if that really upsets me!).

Those bars do look like they are very well made. When I bought my tooth bar bxpanded wasn't around yet as far as I know. Quite a few of us bought tooth bars from a welding shop in North Carolina back then - that was probably before GTT existed also.

Thanks again - I now know for sure.

This is the reason why I am going to stop pushing show with my bucket with bare cutting edge:

P1330117_2.jpg

Reactions: BigJim55

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you so much for going back out in the cold to take the measurements and pics for me! I know what it's like out there for sure!
n.p. Having the measurements will likely help someone else in the future as well.

This is the reason why I am going to stop pushing show with my bucket with bare cutting edge:

View attachment 40714
Pics like that are part of the reason I bought the straight edge. I could see mine starting to go that way with only about 10 hours of pushing snow on it. I'm also hoping having that large flat bar that actually sits a little bit under the bucket will let me keep the edges of the bucket from digging into the concrete when I've got the bucket rolled up a bit to keep the leading edge from catching in the expansion joints.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I did not see the straight edge on the website. Did I just miss it?
You didn't miss it, its not there. I just saw it mentioned elsewhere on GTT. :) Same cost as the tooth bar. When I emailed them about it, the woman who responded called it the "straight edged tooth bar".

·
Premium Member
1,706 Posts
You didn't miss it, its not there. I just saw it mentioned elsewhere on GTT. :) Same cost as the tooth bar. When I emailed them about it, the woman who responded called it the "straight edged tooth bar".
Thank you.

It seems to me that it should cost less than the tooth bar though.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thank you.

It seems to me that it should cost less than the tooth bar though.
Who knows if they put it up on the site officially they may reevaluate the price. I think that are only providing it because people asked right now.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts