Green Tractor Talk banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Premium Member
247 Posts
In the world of structural steel, the rule is “no reduction of area for holes”, that is, don’t worry about bolt holes when designing so long as you follow the standards. There are exceptions, such as the so called “critical path” but the exceptions are not relevant to isolated instances such as your bolt holes. Of course this isn’t structural steel, but in my mechanical design work, I rarely worry about holes from a strength perspective as few things are designed so close to the ultimate limits where it would make a difference.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8,789 Posts
Thats similar time house building. A few bore holes for electric and plumbing are expected in code, Big old u-cuts are not. My house was full of u-cuts, I either sistered or replaced the joists before drilling round holes.

I wouldn’t worry a bit about drilling holes for hooks, especially with a backer plate. On my loader the hooks are out by the sidewalls, I can lift a truck bed or 40 loader with the load all outstretched using the curl and nothing has ever bent.

·
Premium Member
4,755 Posts
I have used my KBO hooks to do all sorts of things and if I had to do it over, I would put the clevis plates on the inside of the bucket
Of course you know it would just be loosening two bolts to do it over, right.

Sorry, you always on your game and just lobbed that one out there.

·
Registered
9 Posts
If you have concerns about bending the bucket when lifting something with the hooks, three things you can do to minimize the possibility.
1- mount the hooks at or near where the bucket attaches to the loader, around 10-12" in from each side.
2- add a flat plate inside the top lip of the loader, underneath the surface where the hooks are mounted. I used a piece of 3/16" thick by 3" wide piece of steel that ran the width of the bucket (side to side), bolted in 8 points, including the bolts that held the hooks in place. That will significantly stiffen the top of the bucket and distribute a load from the hooks. It may be overkill, what you'd be able to lift with the hooks might not be enough to bend the top anyway.
3-When lifting something using the hooks, tip the bucket down (dump) as far as it will go, which puts the hooks vertical as well as the plate they are mounted to.
View attachment 724488
Hi folks! I have a 1025R Loader, Back Hoe, Box Blade and Forks. I bought the Ford forks and saved about $100 - still green! Rear tires filled with Beet Juice. I use my machine fairly aggressively. Lifting, removing tree trunks, maxing out loader with massive boulders, hills, swamp, woods, dragging a 400 yard long gravel driveway also using the back side of the loader blade to reverse drag/smooth driveway, snow removal etc. As to the bucket integrity, one would have to try very hard to to bend or damage that thing! I wouldn't hesitate to install these hooks...that is, if I had any idea how ya'll are using them! It has never occurred to me to add the hooks, please tell all.

·
Premium Member
11,016 Posts
Hi folks! I have a 1025R Loader, Back Hoe, Box Blade and Forks. I bought the Ford forks and saved about $100 - still green! Rear tires filled with Beet Juice. I use my machine fairly aggressively. Lifting, removing tree trunks, maxing out loader with massive boulders, hills, swamp, woods, dragging a 400 yard long gravel driveway also using the back side of the loader blade to reverse drag/smooth driveway, snow removal etc. As to the bucket integrity, one would have to try very hard to to bend or damage that thing! I wouldn't hesitate to install these hooks...that is, if I had any idea how ya'll are using them! It has never occurred to me to add the hooks, please tell all.
The hooks have almost infinite uses, especially when combined with a clevis backing plate. They can then be used with chains, straps, ropes, etc. whatever you need. Very handy for lifting things and can also be used to secure large loads in the bucket. A friend hauled a gun safe in his bucket and secured it with straps attached to the hooks.

These days I lift everything heavy with the bucket and hooks whenever possible.

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
That bucket looks like an old oil drum

·
Registered
9 Posts
The hooks have almost infinite uses, especially when combined with a clevis backing plate. They can then be used with chains, straps, ropes, etc. whatever you need. Very handy for lifting things and can also be used to secure large loads in the bucket. A friend hauled a gun safe in his bucket and secured it with straps attached to the hooks.

These days I lift everything heavy with the bucket and hooks whenever possible.
Thanks so much for your reply. Ah, I see. I can see how these hooks would be a huge asset! I haven't thought about hooks before because I have the Ford Forks which are green btw and match the tractor. I may consider adding the hooks to the frame of the forks. I pile brush & tree limbs 10' high on those forks and it tends to get squirrely over bumps on the way to the burn pile. Strapping some of those loads down would be a good idea! You folks sure know your stuff! I really appreciate your insight(s).

21 - 29 of 29 Posts