Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok I may be missing something here but when I got my tractor the service manager told me to make sure I grease the driveshaft as it’s something that’s missed often.. let me first state I have a 3033r power reverser.. I now have 13 hours on the machine.. I went through all the grease fittings I could find on the machine.. brake fittings and front axle.. as well as all loader fittings at 10 hours.. I can’t seem to find a fitting on the drive shaft.. am I missing it or does the 3 series not have a drive shaft grease fitting?

·
Premium Member
16,180 Posts
According to the latest 3033R Operator's Manual, there are no grease fittings on either drive shaft. I also checked JD Parts and for the Power Reverser both the main driveshaft and MFWD driveshaft just use couplers and do not have any U-joints (see below).

I'm not sure what the service manager was talking about. There are grease fittings on the front axle trunnion.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
According to the latest 3033R Operator's Manual, there are no grease fittings on either drive shaft. I also checked JD Parts and for the Power Reverser both the main driveshaft and MFWD driveshaft just use couplers and do not have any U-joints (see below).

I'm not sure what the service manager was talking about. There are grease fittings on the front axle trunnion.

View attachment 792565
Thank you.. I was under the same assumption but I wanted to make sure… this is the same service manager that couldn’t tell me what grease was used on my tractor.. finally found out it was the moly grease.. I’m thinking they need a new service manager haha

·
Registered
X320, 3720 W/ 300cx loader, 5'ford 917 flail, CL 6' box blade, 64 massy 165
181 Posts
Thank you.. I was under the same assumption but I wanted to make sure… this is the same service manager that couldn’t tell me what grease was used on my tractor.. finally found out it was the moly grease.. I’m thinking they need a new service manager haha
Thanks from me as well, I have a new to me 05, 3720 560hrs. I spent a couple hrs going over it and greasing every thing. Spent quite a bit of time looking for fittings on drive shaft. Concluded they didn't exist. As I only saw coupling in your pic. Never did find them on trunion either?? Could you point us to them jgayman?

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks from me as well, I have a new to me 05, 3720 560hrs. I spent a couple hrs going over it and greasing every thing. Spent quite a bit of time looking for fittings on drive shaft. Concluded they didn't exist. As I only saw coupling in your pic. Never did find them on trunion either?? Could you point us to them jgayman?
The trunion has 2 of them I don’t have a picture but mine has one of the front right indent and rear left indent.. yours may be different mine is a 2021 3033r

·
Premium Member
16,180 Posts
According to the Operator's Manual the 3720 doesn't have grease fittings on the trunnion. In fact, it doesn't even mention a trunnion. JD Parts doesn't show anything either.

I could be wrong but I have a feeling the 3720 front axle pivot gets its lubrication from the axle gear oil. The 3033R parts illustration clearly shows zerk fittings on the trunnion.

Then again, it wouldn't be the first time grease zerks were omitted from an Operator's Manual.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Not sure about the 3 and 4 series but the xx10 and xx20 series tractors do not have grease zerks on the driveshaft. However the couplers or a known wear point that will most likely fail over time. After replacing the coupler once on my 4310 I now take the driveshaft apart to grease it once a year. If you rarely use fwd I wouldn't worry about it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts