1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
740 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Found this for sale today and was wondering what yous guys thought of the overall design. It would be pulled by my M which is somewhere in the ballpark of 20hp. I only have a 75' driveway to maintain and grading is a once a year maintenance chore, but land planes are definitely superior to back blades for this task.

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
Depends on price. Overall design, you will probably like it. It doesn't have replaceable blades so at some point it will need some sort of repair, but for your use that could be a long time from now. I suspect it would work best on loose gravel and might do a lot of bouncing around on a driveway that's compacted. If cheap enough, its similar to other blades manufactured for this purpose so might be worth giving it a shot at keeping your drive in shape.

·
Registered
740 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
They were asking $375 for it. One of the perks of the shop I work at is that employees can purchase steel at cost... And we stock a lot of 2x3x3/16 angle. At under $2 a foot and full access to the shop for a few hours each day after work, there is absolutely no reason for me to buy the one pictured above. :good2:

It probably wouldn't work at all on compacted gravel. One of my chores this summer is going to be to spread a truckload or two of new gravel and it should work well there.

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
They were asking $375 for it. One of the perks of the shop I work at is that employees can purchase steel at cost... And we stock a lot of 2x3x3/16 angle. At under $2 a foot and full access to the shop for a few hours each day after work, there is absolutely no reason for me to buy the one pictured above. :good2:

It probably wouldn't work at all on compacted gravel. One of my chores this summer is going to be to spread a truckload or two of new gravel and it should work well there.
It's similar to what track crews use to run over a track after each truck/tractor has made a pull. I would want some blades on it for both cutting and weight

·
Administrator
20,721 Posts
I see these a lot at tractor pulls to groom the track after a pull. They do a great job. At least on loose material.

·
Old Pa-pa
11,763 Posts
Looks like it would do the job, also looks like it would be simple as heck to build.

·
Premium Member
1,004 Posts
It does look effective - but also like a home-build and at the $375, they maybe doing some 'fishing'. I don't think I'd offer full price...do some 'fishing' yourself.

·
Registered
12,337 Posts
I see these a lot at tractor pulls to groom the track after a pull. They do a great job. At least on loose material.
:think::think: i knew i had seen these before--just couldn't remember where?

evergreen-for that price of $375--u should just build ur own. :munch: waiting on pic of ur design and build-ok:lol:

·
Registered
740 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Looks like it would do the job, also looks like it would be simple as heck to build.
I bet I could have it cut out and welded up within two lunch breaks. There really isn't much to it.

evergreen-for that price of $375--u should just build ur own. :munch: waiting on pic of ur design and build-ok:lol:
I think the only thing I would like to change is to add some extra gussets and braces just to stiffen it up a bit. Perhaps a box for adding extra weight too.

·
Registered
2,178 Posts
I bet I could have it cut out and welded up within two lunch breaks. There really isn't much to it.

I think the only thing I would like to change is to add some extra gussets and braces just to stiffen it up a bit. Perhaps a box for adding extra weight too.
Project L P coming soon!!! :good2:

:munch:

·
Registered
967 Posts
Wrong color!:hide:

·
Registered
5,472 Posts
Wish I had a welder

Has anyone every added onto a box blade to make it a convertible land plane? I keep thinking that it's already got the scarifiers and the hitch frame. Surely with a little head scratching it should be possible to make it work. . . One of these days, I'll try to figure it out but if I had a torch and a welder and maybe just a bit of steel. . .

Treefarmer

·
Official "Groovie" Dude
5,663 Posts
Has anyone every added onto a box blade to make it a convertible land plane? I keep thinking that it's already got the scarifiers and the hitch frame. Surely with a little head scratching it should be possible to make it work. . . One of these days, I'll try to figure it out but if I had a torch and a welder and maybe just a bit of steel. . .

Treefarmer
Interesting idea.?

·
Registered
740 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
^^^^agreed^^^^

·
Registered
4,122 Posts
Take another look at the OP's pic and the pic in post 11. In the OP's pic, the angles of the channeled steel on the back "blade" are facing the opposite way of the one in post 11.

When I first took a look at the OP's pic, I thought it was odd that you'd have the angle facing the inside. I thought that would just accumulate material and not spread it effectively.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Optical illusion

Take another look at the OP's pic and the pic in post 11. In the OP's pic, the angles of the channeled steel on the back "blade" are facing the opposite way of the one in post 11.

When I first took a look at the OP's pic, I thought it was odd that you'd have the angle facing the inside. I thought that would just accumulate material and not spread it effectively.
Nope they are facing the same way. Look at the second picture in the OP. The first and third they look funny. The second is a side view and look correct.

Steve

·
Registered
740 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Those were just pictures I found from an ad on Craigslist. I think mine will end up looking more like the yellow one above.

I showed the pictures to my boss and he wants one now too. Looks like I'm going to have to make a second one now!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts