Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I know there are a lot of differing conditions, and a lot of different opinions on what to use for driveway maintenance.

I think for my needs (after reading and research) what I need is a LPGB "land plane grader blade" as opposed to a box blade. I have about 500 ft of rocky packed level roadway with a thin layer of what we call "base course" on top - made by crushing a hard granite type lava - known as "blue rock" and fairly expensive when delivered. It is used under all the roads here, with plenty of fines and smaller gravel type rock. I eventually hope to have a 3-4 inch layer of 1/4" minus base course on top of the much "gnarlier" mix of the old packed 1 1/2", 6", and even larger rock underneath.

From what I can gather, for just maintaining a top layer such as I have planed, a Land Plane would be easier and do a quicker cleaner job than a box blade, and certainly better than back dragging with my FEL - as I do now. A box blade will just bounce off the larger rock "under base" - so really of no use for major road work at all. I previously used a DR Power Grader pulled behind my utility vehicle. But when it hit a bigger rock it was trouble. However the idea worked pretty well when confronted with strictly loose material. But now I have a tractor. :)

So, if you agree - do you have any recommendations for an implement that will fit/work on my 1025r TLB for my needs??? Maybe something that can use blocks for weight - as shipping a heavy piece of equipment here to Hawaii can be expensive. I do have a JD dealer here, who brings in stuff in large containers, but to ship individual pieces personally can sometimes cost almost as much as the piece of equipment itself.

·
Registered
3,687 Posts
I do not believe there is any "magic" for larger rocks buried under smaller material.

My LP weighs over a half ton,,, if I hit a rock the size of a football,, the LP simply flies in the air.

I have seen these same rocks hit by a 953 CAT,,, the rocks never move.

removing the problem rock is the only answer.

·
Registered
768 Posts
Agree with the post above... need to remove the problem rocks.

A land plane is certainly a good option for what you need to do (better than a box blade). I would highly recommend an Everything Attachments land plane. I really like the quality of my EA box blade and so far, nothing compares to it and their land plane is just as solid, so you can't go wrong. A 60" should work well on the 1-series.

https://www.everythingattachments.com/Land-Leveler-Land-Plane-With-Scarifier-Rippers-p/eta-land-leveler-ws-2.htm

·
Registered
4,290 Posts
Do you still have the DR Power Grader? If so, pull it behind your tractor! As much as I would like a land plane, if I already had a bought-and-paid-for Power Grader, I'd be hard pressed to buy the land plane if the PG did an acceptable job. As much as I like to buy "cool toys" (and i've bought more than my fair share of "cool toys" - even just in the last 2 weeks!), I'm still pretty frugal when it comes to spending money I don't necessarily HAVE to.

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
Land Grader - Tarter Farm & Ranch

Tractor Supply or Southern States carries it. The price there is right at $1k. It weighs 476lbs and is a CAT 1 and quick hitch compatible. I am saving my pennies for this one. I have a tarter landscape rake and it's built right so I like this company. A land scape rake might as good of a solution for you and will be cheaper than a land plane.

Tarter doesn't have any dealers in Hawaii unfortunately but I am sure you are used to this type of challenge. :banghead:

Reactions: BigJim55

·
Registered
70 Posts
I did alot of researching and looking at availability. I have lots of dealers local with 6 different brands atleast(they could also order various brands), and decided to go with a grading scraper(same thing as land plane, just heavier with scarifiers. After talking to dealerships and researching on line, I ended up purchasing a Cabela's 60" grading scraper that is made by Woods. Actually shipped directly from Woods painted for Cabelas. I found out alot of companys rebrand Woods equipment. Good brand, solid reputation, and good parts availability. It was cheaper for me to purchase online and have curb side delivery then purchasing through a dealer unless I went with a Chinese brand. Since Cabelas just recently got purchased by Bass Pro I notice they no longer sell tractors or equipment online but still highly recommend the Woods.

I live down a 1 mile driveway with about 15 residents. This thing is night and day easier and faster then a box blade. It only cuts half inch at a time and depends on how hard ground is but works awsome. Only way to go. We do have a good foundation though and plenty on top. I wouldn't go any larger then a 60". My hydraulics on my 1025r struggle to lift it. Only brings up about 3/4s of the way up.

Here is a picture of mine and a before and after. The up close picture is after I modified my skids with thicker hardened chromium steel for better wear. Hope this helps or points you in direction. There's also YouTube.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
7,924 Posts
Konakid:

What are the chances of finding someone to fabricate a land-plane for you? It might be cheaper than buying one and having it shipped to the middle of the Pacific Ocean as there isn't much to them.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I have a 250' of gravel driveway and I use a ratchet rake on the loader and 1060L 60" blade on the back, does the job just fine. I like the RR as I can rip out brush as well.

·
Registered
23,057 Posts
Do you still have the DR Power Grader? If so, pull it behind your tractor! As much as I would like a land plane, if I already had a bought-and-paid-for Power Grader, I'd be hard pressed to buy the land plane if the PG did an acceptable job. As much as I like to buy "cool toys" (and i've bought more than my fair share of "cool toys" - even just in the last 2 weeks!), I'm still pretty frugal when it comes to spending money I don't necessarily HAVE to.
This is the first thought for me as well.

·
Registered
2,781 Posts
I did alot of researching and looking at availability. I have lots of dealers local with 6 different brands atleast(they could also order various brands), and decided to go with a grading scraper(same thing as land plane, just heavier with scarifiers. After talking to dealerships and researching on line, I ended up purchasing a Cabela's 60" grading scraper that is made by Woods. Actually shipped directly from Woods painted for Cabelas. I found out alot of companys rebrand Woods equipment. Good brand, solid reputation, and good parts availability. It was cheaper for me to purchase online and have curb side delivery then purchasing through a dealer unless I went with a Chinese brand. Since Cabelas just recently got purchased by Bass Pro I notice they no longer sell tractors or equipment online but still highly recommend the Woods.

I live down a 1 mile driveway with about 15 residents. This thing is night and day easier and faster then a box blade. It only cuts half inch at a time and depends on how hard ground is but works awsome. Only way to go. We do have a good foundation though and plenty on top. I wouldn't go any larger then a 60". My hydraulics on my 1025r struggle to lift it. Only brings up about 3/4s of the way up.

Here is a picture of mine and a before and after. The up close picture is after I modified my skids with thicker hardened chromium steel for better wear. Hope this helps or points you in direction. There's also YouTube.
Nice.
I just requested a quote for a 54" Woods GSS54S land plane from a local Kubota dealer that is also a Woods dealer.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I do not believe there is any "magic" for larger rocks buried under smaller material.

My LP weighs over a half ton,,, if I hit a rock the size of a football,, the LP simply flies in the air.

I have seen these same rocks hit by a 953 CAT,,, the rocks never move.

removing the problem rock is the only answer.
Thanks for all the feedback - and the above quote is why I asked, in hopes someone had an answer or solution I am unaware of. The pics below give some idea of what I have to work with.

So, the little DR grader (only a 48") does okay in the areas where there is a liberal top coat, and no chance of hitting a rock. This whole island is a rock (volcano) - and anytime you do construction, plant a tree, build a road - there is a saying when you come across a rock that won't move. When you hear, "that's part of the island," you know you will need to hire a "hammer" - that big jack hammer that goes on the end of an excavator. Then you are left with a hundred smaller rocks to work with.

So, I guess the only answer is to bring in a good 6-8 inches of the expensive 3/4" minus and cover the entire driveway and parking area. Doing the math - that means 500+ yards. (15 tons costs me $500 delivered). I think that's about 12 yards - or $20,000+ to cover what I have. So, you can understand why I don't already have a liberal top coat. And you can also understand from the pics why any tool with tines (like box blade or DR Grader), complains loudly when dragging and hitting what is under the top layer.

So, I was thinking maybe a landscape rake (with the pliable tines) plus a land plane might be my best option as I can quickly groom/maintain and slowly add more and more topping material over time - as I can afford it.

Any other suggestions for exact make and type of implements will still be appreciated. A good tropical storm can do job on the road - so having the right solution and good maintenance program is more or less a must for me, and an expense I will have to find the dollars for.

Attachments

1 - 12 of 12 Posts