Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,296 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When is the best time to do this project?
Let me start by saying I have done the driveway right several years ago with a good base followed by crusher run on top. I know I don't want to wait until the dog days of summer when the driveway is like concrete, but is it too wet and soft now or should I wait a little longer until dries out some more? I recently bought a box blade and played around with it making a pad for a shelter behind the garage but I'm still fairly new to it's use, any tips and pointers will be appreciated.

·
Premium Member
12,105 Posts
I don't know your exact soil type but you can typically work on it anytime the ground is in the middle between soggy mud and hard as concrete. :)

·
Premium Member
3,803 Posts
I always test the surface with my Box Blade first. If to wet it just hangs up in the Box and won't spread good. If too dry it just makes a fluffy looking surface that has to be packed when damp. When the material flows out under the rear blade a little damp it looks so nice flat and even. I love grading with my Box Blade it is very forgiving compared to a regular rear blade that can dig in once in a while on a soft spot and start a wave action on the surface that is hard to remove back to flat.

·
Premium Member
13,296 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I don't know your exact soil type but you can typically work on it anytime the ground is in the middle between soggy mud and hard as concrete. :)
I always test the surface with my Box Blade first. If to wet it just hangs up in the Box and won't spread good. If too dry it just makes a fluffy looking surface that has to be packed when damp. When the material flows out under the rear blade a little damp it looks so nice flat and even. I love grading with my Box Blade it is very forgiving compared to a regular rear blade that can dig in once in a while on a soft spot and start a wave action on the surface that is hard to remove back to flat.
That was pretty much my mindset too, right now it would roll into mud so I'll wait another week and do it.

·
Registered
5,419 Posts
Think days

That was pretty much my mindset too, right now it would roll into mud so I'll wait another week and do it.
This time of year things dry out rapidly and you are basically working the top couple of inches of the road so it could be right in a day or two and concrete in a week.

Treefarmer

·
Premium Member
13,296 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
This time of year things dry out rapidly and you are basically working the top couple of inches of the road so it could be right in a day or two and concrete in a week.

Treefarmer
I know what you mean, we're going from 38* and rain/snow to upper 70's tomorrow, it will dry up very quick.

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
37,385 Posts
I know what you mean, we're going from 38* and rain/snow to upper 70's tomorrow, it will dry up very quick.
My driveway will be nice and dry tomorrow. :munch: Just Sayin!

·
Premium Member
13,296 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
My driveway will be nice and dry tomorrow. :munch: Just Sayin!
Let me think about that, certainly more fun than working :lol:

·
Registered
625 Posts
If you just want to 'dress up' the driveway, extend the top link a bunch and put the rockshaft lever in the float position (all the way down.) I tilt the box blade some and run down the driveway sides to keep the crown and work my way to the center alternating sides. My main drive is about 14' wide and my box blade is 6' wide, I make two passes on each side.

I've used a box blade for hundreds of hours and I still get really frustrated using it, on my list of implements to buy is a land plane. I think it would be much easier to use for driveway maintenance.

·
Premium Member
13,296 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
If you just want to 'dress up' the driveway, extend the top link a bunch and put the rockshaft lever in the float position (all the way down.) I tilt the box blade some and run down the driveway sides to keep the crown and work my way to the center alternating sides. My main drive is about 14' wide and my box blade is 6' wide, I make two passes on each side.

I've used a box blade for hundreds of hours and I still get really frustrated using it, on my list of implements to buy is a land plane. I think it would be much easier to use for driveway maintenance.
I agree, but if one can only afford one of the two you can do more with a box blade than a land plane. A land plane will be on my list of "some day" implements as well. :thumbup1gif:

·
Premium Member
3,803 Posts

Land Plane would be nice on the roads and driveways. I would have a problem with one in my curved parking area. Not sure how a land plane works going in sharp circles & figure 8's on gravel making the whole place look the same when done. Aren't they longer then a box blade?

Forgot was on the tractor today to feel better. Worked when I was on it then feel like crap off it. Did about 1 mile of driveway for a friend using my back blade. It is 8 ft wide and so is his driveway or was 8 ft. I cut the edges to 10 ft wide. Made a nice day out of it. See the doctor in the morning. I bet they will "try/convince/put" me in the hospital? If they do they have to tell me why their bed is better the mine. If there not fixing me in there all day I will go home. My bed fits me just right at home.

·
Registered
5,419 Posts
Hope you are better

Land Plane would be nice on the roads and driveways. I would have a problem with one in my curved parking area. Not sure how a land plane works going in sharp circles & figure 8's on gravel making the whole place look the same when done. Aren't they longer then a box blade?

Forgot was on the tractor today to feel better. Worked when I was on it then feel like crap off it. Did about 1 mile of driveway for a friend using my back blade. It is 8 ft wide and so is his driveway or was 8 ft. I cut the edges to 10 ft wide. Made a nice day out of it. See the doctor in the morning. I bet they will "try/convince/put" me in the hospital? If they do they have to tell me why their bed is better the mine. If there not fixing me in there all day I will go home. My bed fits me just right at home.
I hope you are better soon. A hospital is ok when you need some specific treatment but it's definitely not the place to rest or recuperate. I'm glad you got a little tractor time in. Reshaping and widening a road is a lot of fun but definitely time consuming. I've never liked the results when I tried speeding up the process and mostly have finally learned to be patient.

Treefarmer

·
Registered
625 Posts
Land Plane would be nice on the roads and driveways. I would have a problem with one in my curved parking area. Not sure how a land plane works going in sharp circles & figure 8's on gravel making the whole place look the same when done. Aren't they longer then a box blade?....
Yes, I think they are much longer than a BB which is one of the advantages of the design.The part of my driveway in front of the house is circular but I increased the diameter by taking out a few trees which makes it easier to maintain with the BB. A land plane would only work for the center part of the circular drive though. I will get off the tractor and use a landscape rake for the areas I can't access with the BB.

The other 1,000' of drive is fairly straight or gentle curves and easy to work with.

·
Premium Member
13,296 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

·
Registered
12,280 Posts
Yes sir, definitely doing it this weekend.
:munch:is this going to happen THIS WEEKEND?:dunno:
OR HAS ALREADY HAPPENED?:mocking:

we need action shots of this said work in progress:lol: as u know :ttiwwp:

by they way--i liked the action shot of ur new disc running--put the camera on the tractor next time so we can see the dirt being torn up-maybe.:hide:am i being to picky:laugh:

·
Administrator
20,664 Posts
Too picky? Whoa fella, whoa. As a picture (and video) cop here on GTT, you earn the big bucks for demanding quality pictures and videos. It comes with the territory. You gotta do what you gotta do. :drinks:

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
37,385 Posts
Too picky? Whoa fella, whoa. As a picture (and video) cop here on GTT, you earn the big bucks for demanding quality pictures and videos. It comes with the territory. You gotta do what you gotta do. :drinks:
I think he's being a PITA. :lolol:

·
Premium Member
13,296 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
:munch:is this going to happen THIS WEEKEND?:dunno:
OR HAS ALREADY HAPPENED?:mocking:

we need action shots of this said work in progress:lol: as u know :ttiwwp:

by they way--i liked the action shot of ur new disc running--put the camera on the tractor next time so we can see the dirt being torn up-maybe.:hide:am i being to picky:laugh:
This weekend BigJim, as in, probably tomorrow. :good2:
And yes, I will provide before and after pics.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts