Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
37,776 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's that time again. Anyone have recommendations as to the sealer they like. Preferably 5 gal pails. The last time we did it we went to Home Depot and bought something, don't remember what the brand name was. Wife and I will put in down. For the benefit of Dieselshadow and DRobinson I will be a working supervisor on this project. Just Sayin!

·
Registered
3,554 Posts
The only driveway sealing experience I've had was having a guy spray paint mine black. It lasted about as long as rattle can paint would for the same service use. I probably will never have mine done again, I'm just sealing the water out of the cracks as I go along. I really like the "gray" finish look of unsealed blacktop once it's all the same shade again.

I can't find anybody here who puts an actual melted petroleum sealer down, only the cold blackwash stuff. I also paid extra for the inclusion of "traction material" in the sealer. This material closely resembles ordinary beach sand to me (although it was highly touted as a "special sand") and it lasted a much shorter time than the coating that was put down AND I use a rubber plow edge. I guess if you buy the materials and know what you are buying you could do a far better job than I got.

·
Registered
12,047 Posts
It's that time again. Anyone have recommendations as to the sealer they like. Preferably 5 gal pails. The last time we did it we went to Home Depot and bought something, don't remember what the brand name was. Wife and I will put in down. For the benefit of Dieselshadow and DRobinson I will be a working supervisor on this project. Just Sayin!
Gizmo:

If you can find a double wide brush for your wife, she can be done in half the time. Cutting time to get a job done always makes the supervisor look good. :laugh:

Don

Reactions: Gizmo2

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
The only driveway sealing experience I've had was having a guy spray paint mine black. It lasted about as long as rattle can paint would for the same service use. I probably will never have mine done again, I'm just sealing the water out of the cracks as I go along. I really like the "gray" finish look of unsealed blacktop once it's all the same shade again.

I can't find anybody here who puts an actual melted petroleum sealer down, only the cold blackwash stuff. I also paid extra for the inclusion of "traction material" in the sealer. This material closely resembles ordinary beach sand to me (although it was highly touted as a "special sand") and it lasted a much shorter time than the coating that was put down AND I use a rubber plow edge. I guess if you buy the materials and know what you are buying you could do a far better job than I got.
Your experience sounds about like mine. The black "paint" they sell at Home Depot looks nice (well, it looks like you just painted your driveway), but I'm not sure it really does anything other than make you feel good until it wears off.

All I care about now is sealing any cracks.

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
37,776 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You guys are making me think, why do it at all. The driveway is already riddled with cracks.

·
Registered
3,554 Posts
My opinion: The main thing with blacktop is to keep the water out of the subsurface as ice will increase the cracking. As long as the aggregate is well bonded and you're not losing surface stones and you don't mind the "gray look", just fill the cracks that are open through the surface...

Reactions: andy b. and Gizmo2
1 - 7 of 7 Posts