Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have any experience transitioning a paved driveway to a gravel road? Our driveway and quarter-mile long private road are crusher run and I'm thinking of having our driveway only paved. I have some concerns with the snow plow peeling up a newly paved driveway and general damage at the transition. My initial thoughts are to pour a concrete transition apron and tie the blacktop into the concrete apron. Any thoughts and/or experience with this or other ideas?
Thanks.

·
Registered
2,965 Posts
The edge needs to be supported or it will crack. You're on the right track concerned about plow catching it, but frozen under snow isn't when - it's the grader blade coming through once a month all summer that'll rip it up.

If it were me, I'd go gravel to gravel, or gravel to concrete. Make it harder than the plow/grader can break or make it the same stuff so they can blend it at the edge. Asphalt is semi-fluid even in its hardest state. It doesn't have any structural rigidity of it's own beyond it's bond to itself.

·
Registered
5,485 Posts
Good luck

Our subdivision has dirt roads which end at the state road which is tar. We've not had a great issue of the tar breaking but our many neighbors who have lead feet manage to dig potholes at the edge of the dirt. They are a bit of a pain to fix as it's difficult to fill potholes from one side.

Treefarmer

·
Registered
2,965 Posts
Get much snow in Virginia? :mocking: I keed. :flag_of_truce:

If the base is compacted well, it's not the end of the world. The problem we have with those transitions is that they just paved over what was there, and it often wasn't made for it.

My sister's house has an asphalt driveway to go up a rather steep hill and it terminates at the bottom to gravel. They haven't had too bad of luck with it, but they plow with an ATV and the town doesn't plow anywhere close to it. There are ruts in that asphalt, and they still end up salting it or they wouldn't be able to drive to the house with ice.

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
I used to like the concrete apron at the bottom of my drive until 4 years ago.

The state came thru and ground up all the old asphalt on the state highway adjacent to my apron, repaved and left a 2 inch hump of concrete apron that I have to drive over getting into my drive.

I've tried the asphalt patching compound to try to smooth out the transition but there's not enough room between the highway and the apron to make a gradual slope. Then in the winter, the plow trucks obliterate the patch work I've done.

Just saying, if was an asphalt apron it could be dug up easier than the concrete one to redo.

·
Premium Member
3,964 Posts
If it were me I would pave up to the apron and leave the apron gravel. We have a concrete bridge with gravel on both sides and the transition is not bad.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
4,406 Posts
Anyone have any experience transitioning a paved driveway to a gravel road? Our driveway and quarter-mile long private road are crusher run and I'm thinking of having our driveway only paved. I have some concerns with the snow plow peeling up a newly paved driveway and general damage at the transition. My initial thoughts are to pour a concrete transition apron and tie the blacktop into the concrete apron. Any thoughts and/or experience with this or other ideas?
Thanks.
Good morning Big Cat, you are pretty close to what I have dealt with as far a climate goes so this is what I would do and have done in my past business. keep the asphalt back off the road so no town plow or grader can touch it, about four feet or more, end the asphalt with a straight edge then use; 6"-12" (depending what you have for a good base) deep or so of 3/4 to 1.5 "crushed stone" to the street, not stone that is "screened at the plant from dirt" crushed rock will hold tight, screened has rounded edges not jagged like crushed and can be repaired if the plows ruin it.. The transition at the asphalt will hold true.. "Compaction" is the key, Like I said , I have done this in Vermont, Mass and New Hampshire, lots of dirt roads and not everyone wants a dirt driveway.. I have never had an issue with this nor any complaints either.. If you snowblow, you need to pay attention to the rocks, so mark the area with reflectors or something so shear pins don't get abused.. The stone will save the asphalt and is easily repaired.. Remember crushed stone and compacted with a plate or jumping jack compactor in very small lifts, I would do half the thickness at a time.... A little extra time will yield a great result.. One other little hint with asphalt,, do not use asphalt that has screened stone either, demand crushed stone and if the plant doesn't use it buy it somewhere else.. your asphalt will last years longer for sure and not be so "pliable or soft" during hot months.. An example, put a little pile of screed stone and a small pile of crushed stone and take a 1" square stick and push it straight down into the pile.. which one will go to the bottom?? Like I said, I never wanted call backs and had a great reputation and built all over new England.. Have fun with your project..
Jeff

·
Registered
4 Posts
Building a driveway requires some knowledge and experience. You can contact professionals for help because making a driveway requires a great deal of heavy labor and careful planing but if done right can provide many, many years of service. So, getting help from long island driveway paving contractors would be great choice.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks Fred Taylor. Ended up paving the driveway and the road so no transition to worry about.

Attachments

·
Registered
12,342 Posts
Big Cat--that paved driveway sure looks sweet.:bigthumb: I wanted a paved driveway badly, when we moved here, but just couldn't seem to accomplish that yet!! i bet u love to plow snow on it.:good2:

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
That's some serious amount of driveway paving!:good2:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts