Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First time homeowner with a septic field. I’ve heard you should never put anything heavier than a light lawnmower on top of the field. I’m getting a 1025R with a 60D deck on Wednesday (woohoo!) and am wondering if I should pick up a push mower to mow my drain field.

The concern about the weight also has me questioning whether or not to get fluid in the tires. Is the 1025R stable on moderate
slopes (15°) without tire ballast?

I saw a few threads about septic fields, but they were about mound systems. I just have a conventional septic system.

·
Registered
4,811 Posts
I definitely avoid driving my 4720 or my skid loader over my conventional drain field, but I have been driving my x748 and 997 over it for many years. Your 1025 is 400ish pounds heavier than my x748, but 300ish pounds lighter than my 997. I think your fine. I've never been a fan of fluid filled tires or wheel weights for lawn mowers.
I would mow without the loader, and without ballast on the drain field.
There will be others that will be knowledgeable on its stability on slopes. The fluid would for sure make it more stabile on slopes.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Same as Arlen. I wouldn't worry about it. Avoid if soggy after rain. My 2305 mowed mine for years. I took the loader off to mow but had filled r4s. No ruts or any noticable issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,045 Posts
I mow over my septic field with my 4066R, but my soil conditions could be quite different than yours.

Dave

Reactions: TylerG and arlen

·
Registered
3,741 Posts
I have been driving my 1026R over my septic field since a got it back in 2011. I mowed over with a 20hp Murray for 15 or so years before getting the 1026.

Reactions: TylerG

·
Registered
197 Posts
I would be more worried about the actual septic tank,,,saw a bulldozer cave in the top of one at a new house construction site. The dozer driver blamed the builder for not marking ,where it was. The builder said you broke it you pay for it.

·
Registered
938 Posts
I have driven my 1026R with the Wheel Weights, FEL and rear three point chipper or brush hog over my field for years, never over the septic tank. Only use the 445 over the tank. If and when the 445 dies, I will use the 1026R for finish mowing duties and then it will go over the tank. Don't expect any problems with the 445, I have only had it for 26 years so probably I will start pushing up flowers before it fails me.

·
Premium Member
6,145 Posts
Depends on the perk test. If it’s an above ground (mounded) drain field it basically failed the perk test and I wouldn’t drive anything on it due to the pipes being elevated and vulnerable to the weight of a machine.

·
Registered
838 Posts
I have big fears about driving heavy tractors regularly over my 5 year old $30k septic beds.

I do drive the x738 over the bed but I cut it less frequently. It's a low bed for a cocoa shell system so I am ever vigilant about protecting my crappy assets.

In the olden days no one cared as long as the tank didn't back up inside the house. Now every level of government seems to be seeing more $$$$ in aging systems. In our state the pumper has to fill out a review sheet of the condition of the septic bed. I suspect this may be something that came from the EPA down to state DEPs.

As septic has become more hyper-regulated It's worth it to protect things like the leach field at all costs.

·
Registered
3025E
273 Posts
You’ll be fine driving your tractor over the septic field. I would definitely recommend getting your tires filled, the dealer will typically charge you a fair amount to have this done. Get some pricing from the other ag tire dealers around. Green Oak tire did mine for a few hundred bucks, I think Randy’s out in Fowlerville loads tires too.

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
No worries with septic field, or tank. We run 1025r and 2038r both with filled tires over our septic field consistently without damage.

I would highly recommend getting your tires filled.

Tim

·
Super Moderator
6,290 Posts
If you Google your question you'll find a bazillion sites where septic pros are telling you to "Never drive ANYTHING over your septic field!" Some will tell you a mower is fine and I even found one that claims you shouldn't drive over it with anything heavier than a child's bicycle. (My 110 lb wife weighs more than my grandson and his bike combined. I guess she can't walk across the lawn any more!)

But then the few that do have pictures of when a problem resulted from someone driving over a septic field, it's always a fully loaded triaxle dump truck that fell into an antique system.

Consider the math. If you have a tire (or any point load) applying 1,000 lbs of weight to the ground, the weight (per sq in) is cut in half every time you go down an amount equal to the tire's width. So if you have a 12" tire with 1,000 lbs, at 12" down you are down to 500 lbs. At 24" down you are down to 250 lbs.

A 1025R weighs in at ~1500 lbs. Probably closer to 1,700 is you have a mower deck on it. That weight is distributed to 4 different tires. So you're probably starting with ~600 lbs on any given tire at most. The rear tire's patch is probably close to 12" x 4" so you'd be looking at roughly 48 sq in. For grins, let's say it's 12" x 3" or 36 sq in. 600 lbs spread over 36 sq in = 16.6 lbs/sq in. At 12" down you'd be at 8.4 lbs/sq n.

You can do the math from there and see what you feel comfortable with. I have no problems with driving my 2032R with loaded tires across my lateral lines. I don't do it daily and I don't play around on my septic mound. But if I need to cross it I don't hesitate either.

·
Registered
838 Posts
If you Google your question you'll find a bazillion sites where septic pros are telling you to "Never drive ANYTHING over your septic field!" Some will tell you a mower is fine and I even found one that claims you shouldn't drive over it with anything heavier than a child's bicycle. (My 110 lb wife weighs more than my grandson and his bike combined. I guess she can't walk across the lawn any more!)

But then the few that do have pictures of when a problem resulted from someone driving over a septic field, it's always a fully loaded triaxle dump truck that fell into an antique system.

Consider the math. If you have a tire (or any point load) applying 1,000 lbs of weight to the ground, the weight (per sq in) is cut in half every time you go down an amount equal to the tire's width. So if you have a 12" tire with 1,000 lbs, at 12" down you are down to 500 lbs. At 24" down you are down to 250 lbs.

A 1025R weighs in at ~1500 lbs. Probably closer to 1,700 is you have a mower deck on it. That weight is distributed to 4 different tires. So you're probably starting with ~600 lbs on any given tire at most. The rear tire's patch is probably close to 12" x 4" so you'd be looking at roughly 48 sq in. From grins let's say it's 12" x 3" or 36 sq in. 600 lbs spread over 36 sq in = 16.6 lbs/sq in. At 12" down you'd be at 8.4 lbs/sq n.

You can do the math from there and see what you feel comfortable with. I have no problems with driving my 2032R with loaded tires across my lateral lines. I don't do it daily and I don't play around on my septic mound. But if I need to cross it I don't hesitate either.
I like the fact that many of the State Universities Extension Services have taken up the cause of things like septic systems and well water.

I would love to see one of them do some scientific analysis on the impact of "impact" on septic beds from driving things over them.

·
Registered
94 Posts
YMMV but I mow with my 2025r with backhoe attached over mine and never had a problem.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thank you everyone! Sounds like it shouldn’t be an issue for me at all. I’m going to go ahead and get the tires filled up.

Tlyons86: The dealer is offering to do it for $250. They mentioned that they send it out to a tire shop to have it done.

JimR: Thanks for the math lesson. Putting it into pounds per square inch made me realize just how little force is actually being transferred to the ground.

·
Registered
2020 JD 3035D w/Loader
17 Posts
First time homeowner with a septic field. I’ve heard you should never put anything heavier than a light lawnmower on top of the field. I’m getting a 1025R with a 60D deck on Wednesday (woohoo!) and am wondering if I should pick up a push mower to mow my drain field.

The concern about the weight also has me questioning whether or not to get fluid in the tires. Is the 1025R stable on moderate
slopes (15°) without tire ballast?

I saw a few threads about septic fields, but they were about mound systems. I just have a conventional septic system.
Been driving trucks, tractors, and everything else with 4 wheels over my septic field for 17 years. Just had the tank pumped out it’s first time ever, and it really wasn’t necessary. With that said, I’ve been lucky. Another field might not have survived all that abuse.

·
Registered
261 Posts
I wouldn’t worry about it especially if it’s an infiltrator system in the field, best to drive across the lines then down them.

I mow with my zero turn and have driven my 3025e with filled tires over mine, no issue just make sure it’s dry and not soggy.

·
Registered
55JD50 57JD420C 57JD420U 55JD40W 66JD110 73JD140H3 2006JDGX335 44JDBO 45JDBR 85JD750
401 Posts
Back in the 60s we had about a dozen fruit trees around our house. Our neighbor, a large fruit farmer would while spraying his trees, run through our small orchard with a 430 Case with a 3pt sprayer. He ran through our new drain field and buried it almost to the axels. He had to walk a 1/2 mile back home to get his IH crawler. I got to hop up on the Case as he tried to pull it out with the crawler. It was unsuccessful. My dad had to call a friend with a tow truck to give it a try. He hooked it to the Case and it pulled the truck back even with the rear wheels blocked. He had to use a snatch block with one end of the cable hooked to the crawler. It finally came out of the mud. This all happened late at night and lasted at least 3 hours. I can say our good intentions neighbor wasn't very happy and for good reason. But for a 10 year old kid it was a night to remember.

·
Premium Member
1,788 Posts
Unless your 1025R happens to be in the back of a loaded dump truck, no you have nothing to worry about.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I drive my 4310 over mine on occasion. In fact drove it over it dozens of times in one week with the loader full filling in low spots. Tilled it over and box graded it level and smooth. The lbs per sq inch is so low it will never damage it. My septic is a gravel-less system. My rental unit has a gravel bed system.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts