Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I got to drive this beast on Saturday while picking up my new lawn mower. Whoa, this thing is crazy. Never drove a center-steer tractor before, nor one with tracks for that matter. Absolutely amazing experience!

Attachments

·
Registered
572 Posts
Think they make a mid mount mower for it. :laugh:
LOL It would suck trees in from the adjacent field:laugh:

I've driven big articulated wheel loaders, with like 6ft tall tires. Takes a little getting used to, lining things up for an approach.

·
Registered
2,135 Posts
That would work on my 1 acre lot, but what do you use on a 5 to 10 acre property?

·
Registered
7,931 Posts
My neighbor has about 6 of those 9 Series machines, in both track and wheeled configuration. His son drove one to the last days of his High School before graduation last year. Several of the kids who are in high school and who farm drove their tractors to school on the same day. There were about a dozen tractors in total, but the 9 Series Track beast with 620 HP was by far, the most impressive.

He said he drove the track model machine to school because it's narrower than the tandem or triple wheeled 9 series going down the road and easier to park in the school parking lot.:lol:

The dealer I deal with has an order for 54 of the 9 series machines from one farming operation. Below is the beginning of the machines being delivered to the dealer. The farm operation that ordered them is switching from Red to Green on all equipment. That was a win for Deere and the dealer. New, those machines sell for just under $600,000 each and depending upon options, can go higher.

I am sure when you are buying them by the dozen, you probably get a better price on them........:laugh::lol:

Attachments

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The sales guy I was working with on the lawn mower joked with me, that if I bought that 9570 RX, he would mount a 54 inch blade under it for free.

I laughed about sucking trees in from the adjacent lot.

Yeah, you really have to start turning early in those. Like uncomfortably early. The equivalent feeling in a car would be like on a highway, and you see a sign for your exit in one mile. Better start turning now then!

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Cool story. The biggest tractor we have on our farm is a 8400, and that was the biggest I had driven until this past Saturday. In high school we drove tractors/mowers to school on homecoming. In high school I drove a JD 4055 with a loader, and then, I thought that was big, lol.

Some of those large farms buy several at a time - different topic all together. Around here JD has lost a lot of ground to Case IH on the large stuff and Kubota on the small. Not necessarily from product quality, but rather the dealer. The JD dealer here in town doesn't have a good reputation. People who still want JD and wish to be out of the dealer network have to travel, like I did. Not a problem for some, but for others who don't and are sick of the dealer, they go to other vendors. The Case IH dealer in town, however, is really good, and it's paying off. There are a few tomato farms around that used to run JD about 10 years ago. Now you see Case IH Steigers. Heck even my grandpa, who has been a JD guy for 60+ years, said he shopped at the Case IH dealer this fall... made my jaw drop. Customer service has to be a priority.

·
Registered
3,782 Posts
Looks like that would be ideal for my next upgrade from my 4066R

Dave

·
Premium Member
7,434 Posts
My neighbor has about 6 of those 9 Series machines, in both track and wheeled configuration. His son drove one to the last days of his High School before graduation last year. Several of the kids who are in high school and who farm drove their tractors to school on the same day. There were about a dozen tractors in total, but the 9 Series Track beast with 620 HP was by far, the most impressive.

He said he drove the track model machine to school because it's narrower than the tandem or triple wheeled 9 series going down the road and easier to park in the school parking lot.:lol:

The dealer I deal with has an order for 54 of the 9 series machines from one farming operation. Below is the beginning of the machines being delivered to the dealer. The farm operation that ordered them is switching from Red to Green on all equipment. That was a win for Deere and the dealer. New, those machines sell for just under $600,000 each and depending upon options, can go higher.

I am sure when you are buying them by the dozen, you probably get a better price on them........:laugh::lol:
They probably throw in a couple of 835i cabbed Gators for free on that kind of deal. Much better than a free hat :mocking:

·
Premium Member
738 Posts

Dayuum, you've gotta be $hitting me. I've seen what I thought to be big farming operations here in MO, but that kind of order takes the cake. Wonder how many acres they farm ??

·
Registered
4,841 Posts
It's all about the dealer

Cool story. The biggest tractor we have on our farm is a 8400, and that was the biggest I had driven until this past Saturday. In high school we drove tractors/mowers to school on homecoming. In high school I drove a JD 4055 with a loader, and then, I thought that was big, lol.

Some of those large farms buy several at a time - different topic all together. Around here JD has lost a lot of ground to Case IH on the large stuff and Kubota on the small. Not necessarily from product quality, but rather the dealer. The JD dealer here in town doesn't have a good reputation. People who still want JD and wish to be out of the dealer network have to travel, like I did. Not a problem for some, but for others who don't and are sick of the dealer, they go to other vendors. The Case IH dealer in town, however, is really good, and it's paying off. There are a few tomato farms around that used to run JD about 10 years ago. Now you see Case IH Steigers. Heck even my grandpa, who has been a JD guy for 60+ years, said he shopped at the Case IH dealer this fall... made my jaw drop. Customer service has to be a priority.
I've seen that flip both ways a few times. I don't know of anyone who can drop the :gizmo: for 54 of those but do know some farms that have flipped colors from green to red or vice versa depending on the dealer experience. These aren't small farms, 2-3 combines, grain carts, multiple large tractors, a couple of sprayers etc. They'll drop a million or so a year every year on equipment but when it breaks, they don't want to hear that the mechanic is tied up with someone else's problem. It's probably even worse with all the electronics because the dealership may only have 1-2 guys that are really good on a particular piece of equipment. If they are out, then the next guy is reading the manual and punching buttons on the computer at $150/hr. That doesn't make for a happy customer.

Treefarmer

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
I've seen that flip both ways a few times. I don't know of anyone who can drop the :gizmo: for 54 of those but do know some farms that have flipped colors from green to red or vice versa depending on the dealer experience. These aren't small farms, 2-3 combines, grain carts, multiple large tractors, a couple of sprayers etc. They'll drop a million or so a year every year on equipment but when it breaks, they don't want to hear that the mechanic is tied up with someone else's problem. It's probably even worse with all the electronics because the dealership may only have 1-2 guys that are really good on a particular piece of equipment. If they are out, then the next guy is reading the manual and punching buttons on the computer at $150/hr. That doesn't make for a happy customer.

Treefarmer
A million is only 2-3 pieces of equipment that size!
And the guys that drop that kind of coin annually have a direct line to the techs, they don't even go through the dealership. At least around here.

·
Registered
4,425 Posts
Is there a particular reason we STILL don't have a jealous button on here?:nunu:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts