Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
713 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did a quick skim thru the manual and didn't see anything right off. The manual shows the engine oil fill cap to the right of the dip stick. There is also a yellow oil fill cap on top of the valve cover like on a car, but I don't see that one in the book. Is the top one so you don't have to pull the side cover off? Are you supposed to even use the top one for anything? Am I having a "duh" moment here? :dunno:

·
Registered
2,724 Posts
I did a quick skim thru the manual and didn't see anything right off. The manual shows the engine oil fill cap to the right of the dip stick. There is also a yellow oil fill cap on top of the valve cover like on a car, but I don't see that one in the book. Is the top one so you don't have to pull the side cover off? Are you supposed to even use the top one for anything? Am I having a "duh" moment here? :dunno:
Either is fine to use. This engine is not just used by deere. As you said, just like a car. Will drain back just like the oil in the valve train will do during operation.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
8,843 Posts
By the way, the only "Dumb" Question is the one not asked...............

I like to fill through the top oil cap as I want the valve train components and the upper engine to be coated in new oil when I fire it up after an oil change, instead of having to wait for the oil pump to bring oil to the upper components. It may be just a second or two, but anytime you can oil parts instead of them operating briefly without new oil, it's a good thing.

If the engine is idling at 1,515 RPM's, that means in one second, the engine has made 25.25 complete revolutions and that is why I fill the upper oil fill spot..........It's also why I use additional metal lubricants in my oil such as Prolong, which treat the engine components.

Do you need to run extra lubricants? NO, but it certainly won't hurt......

Personal Preference........That's why I do it...............

Prolong®: a leader in Automotive and Industrial oil and fuel additives and why you need it

I run the same high quality oil and treatment in my other Yanmar which I have had since new and it has over 2,800 hours on it and it runs fine and has not required any repairs.

·
Registered
3,873 Posts
I use the top,it's easier with a funnel and it coats the valves like SulleyBear said.:good2:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts