Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thought I would show off my dump conversion I made to use with the 1025. It started life as a rusted 5x10 utility trailer. I cut 2’ off to make it 5x8. Stripped the sides and wood floor and built a dump frame for it. Steel floor and sides.

Sides are 12” with the 2x6 it bumps it to about 18” deep. I went with a scissor style lift mechanism to keep the stroke short and everything compact inside the frame. First test went well I did before paint I filled it with approximately 2000# of concrete pavers and it dumped flawlessly.

Still have to add a box up front for dc power unit as well as battery, wire for lights and paint the rims.
All in when I’m finally finished id say it cost less than $1000 to build and about a week of work.

The original trailer was my fathers and was over 30 years old and had no practical use to me. I can now use this around the yard to haul dirt and mulch with the tractor.

A neighbor has a deal with an arborist who dumps hundreds of yards of mulch at his place. Before I’d go down with my truck and dump trailer then walk back and get the skidsteer to fill the trailer, drive the truck back and walk back for the skidsteer (1/2 KM each way). This way I only have to uncouple the hitch, load it, hook up and head back home.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,711 Posts
Very nice and it’s a clean looking build.

One word of caution. When you load it with dirt and go to dump it the hitch is going to go up. You may want to tie down the 3-point to the drawbar to keep it from slamming up. Might also want to make sure it will not pick up the back of the tractor.

·
Registered
12,511 Posts
Very nice and it’s a clean looking build.

One word of caution. When you load it with dirt and go to dump it the hitch is going to go up. You may want to tie down the 3-point to the drawbar to keep it from slamming up. Might also want to make sure it will not pick up the back of the tractor.
I agree, I would buy this Rear Receiver Hitch Plate for John Deere Sub-compact Tractors and pull it from a drawbar, assuming as Herm mentioned that it does not pick rear of the tractor up.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Good advice. When lifted to max height it does “balance” itself and lift slightly. When I add box, power unit and battery that should put some weight back on the tongue.

The yellow receiver in the photo was one of the first things I made and I’ve since added the quick hitch but have not made it compatible so it sits sloppy in the quick hitch.

Considering I will be doing loader work with it I’m going to have to use a lower receiver or modify my ballast box to carry the trailer around

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
36,047 Posts
I agree, I would buy this Rear Receiver Hitch Plate for John Deere Sub-compact Tractors and pull it from a drawbar, assuming as Herm mentioned that it does not pick rear of the tractor up.
This is one of many things I learned the HARD way. :lol:
BTW, Nice job dombougie. :thumbup1gif:
https://www.greentractortalk.com/forums/sale/134810-heavy-hitch-2-receiver-hitch-plate-1-series-tractor.html

·
Premium Member
4,711 Posts
This is one of many things I learned the HARD way. :lol:
Me too.:hide:

Was dumping my 14k dump trailer and as the dirt slides back it picks up on the hitch of the truck, enough that if it is in two wheel drive and there is some dew it will slide the truck a few feet,. Luckily I don’t stand between them so I can see the back of the trailer.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts