Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm researching dump trailers, and am trying to decide between deckover or low profile 6 x 10.

The trailer is for personal use to haul yard waste to the town yard waste compost facility, loam, gravel and pea stone, and mulch from the local nursery, and to move debris around my yard from all the dead hemlocks on my property for disposal.

I am leaning towards a deckover because i want a narrower trailer for manuvering around in the woods on my trails. My only hesitation is that none of the trailer dealers in my area stock deckover dump trailers, which makes me think there is something i am missing by going against the grain. I would have to custom order a deckover dump trailer.

The town compost site is only 2 miles away, and the nursery is 5 miles, so the negative towing impact is minimal from the higher center of gravity and aerodynamic resistance of the deckover. I have a car hauler for moving my tractor or other equipment, so the equipment loading advantage of the low profile dump is minimized, but not entirely negated.

The deckover has the manuverability benefit, easier loading from the side with the tractor, and the ability to dump better piles of gravel or other material because the higher deck. I also imagine it will have better ground clearance over rough terrain.

My question is, is there anything i'm missing here? I think the deckover is clearly better for my purposes.

Is my use case substantially different from the average dump trailer buyer that i am correct in going with a deckover than a low profile dump? It seems to me that everyone buys the low profile dump trailers.

I am favoring cam superline trailers.

Thanks for any insight you can offer.

Steve

·
Registered
4,111 Posts
I like the idea of the deckover dump trailer. I did not even know they made them. You will have a wider bed, therefore be able to haul more and that could be important for things like brush or other lighter loads. Maybe I am just prejudiced as I have a gooseneck deckover trailer. I can tell you that it is really nice to have the flat deck to load onto.

Dave

Reactions: Levi

·
Super Moderator
5,212 Posts
The deckover has the manuverability benefit, easier loading from the side with the tractor, and the ability to dump better piles of gravel or other material because the higher deck. I also imagine it will have better ground clearance over rough terrain.
I'm not sure why the deckover would be any more (or less) manuverable than a low profile. Just speaking from my own experience dragging a trailer through the woods but my biggest problem has been the trailer width and dealing with that. My dump trailer is only 4' wide and I've rubbed it up against trees while trying to make turns between trees through the woods. The Cam Superline deckover and low profile dump trailers are the same width so that would all seem to be a wash between them. They also have identical ground clearance. The lower frame and axle setup is identical on both trailers. What makes the deckover sit up higher is an additional 6" tall frame mounted to the bottom of the trailer bed.

My question is, is there anything i'm missing here? I think the deckover is clearly better for my purposes.

Is my use case substantially different from the average dump trailer buyer that i am correct in going with a deckover than a low profile dump? It seems to me that everyone buys the low profile dump trailers.
I don't think you are missing anything per se. I think most people opt for a low profile because they anticipate towing it at highway speeds and the lower center of gravity helps with handling. It also helps with being able to utilize your rear view mirror and for those times when you are backing up. A lower deck and tailgate height gives better rearward visibility from the driver's seat.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Jim,

My impression was that the 6x10 deckover versus low pro dumps have the same box size, but the deckover will be about a foot narrower because the wheels don't protrude from the sides. The narrower width is where i presumed the deckover would be more manuverable in the woods.

Am i totally wrong on this?

I haven't seen the trailers in person, so i don't really know, and the manufacturers don't seem to post overall width in their specs.

·
Super Moderator
5,212 Posts
Jim,

My impression was that the 6x10 deckover versus low pro dumps have the same box size, but the deckover will be about a foot narrower because the wheels don't protrude from the sides. The narrower width is where i presumed the deckover would be more manuverable in the woods.

Am i totally wrong on this?

I haven't seen the trailers in person, so i don't really know, and the manufacturers don't seem to post overall width in their specs.
Nope! You are correct. :good2:

I didn't think about the tires themselves (or the fenders). The deckover should be a total width of 6' where the low-profile would be 6' + the fender width on each side. (As you say, Cam doesn't give you that number in their spec sheets! Boooo!)

·
Registered
5,675 Posts
recent purchase

I'm researching dump trailers, and am trying to decide between deckover or low profile 6 x 10.

The trailer is for personal use to haul yard waste to the town yard waste compost facility, loam, gravel and pea stone, and mulch from the local nursery, and to move debris around my yard from all the dead hemlocks on my property for disposal.

I am leaning towards a deckover because i want a narrower trailer for manuvering around in the woods on my trails. My only hesitation is that none of the trailer dealers in my area stock deckover dump trailers, which makes me think there is something i am missing by going against the grain. I would have to custom order a deckover dump trailer.

The town compost site is only 2 miles away, and the nursery is 5 miles, so the negative towing impact is minimal from the higher center of gravity and aerodynamic resistance of the deckover. I have a car hauler for moving my tractor or other equipment, so the equipment loading advantage of the low profile dump is minimized, but not entirely negated.

I am favoring cam superline trailers.

Thanks for any insight you can offer.

Steve
I recently purchased a Bri-Mar in about the same size you are looking at. First advice- go for it! I agonized for too long over getting one but now don't regret it a bit.

I think you've analyzed the issues pretty well. I do have to deal with the wheels on the side and it's a little constraining when loading dirt with my MCUT. No problem with brush but I don't have enough loader reach to fill the trailer with dirt from one side. I would check the loading height with a deckover. I bought my trailer from a person who miscalculated the height and couldn't load it with his SCUT because it was too high. You need clearance to dump a bucket so that's an issue with smaller tractors.

Either way, I would look hard at what you want/need on the tailgate. Some are two way, some are three way. Mine opens from the bottom for spreading dirt/gravel or as barn doors for dumping. It would be nice if it was a three way, spreader, barn door or top down for dumping. It's not a huge deal but would be nice to have.
One other suggestion is to have a wireless controller on it if you are ordering. I didn't consider that but my trailer came with it and it's really nice.

Treefarmer

Reactions: BigJim55 and Levi

·
Registered
373 Posts
I have no complaints on my 6X10 deckover other than the axles not being heavy enough. I only have two 3500lb axles which only leaves ~4700 for the payload. It doesnt take much media to exceed the weight limit but the trailer is extremely handy and easy to store.

Reactions: BigJim55 and Levi

·
Premium Member
1,706 Posts
I have had a 6 x 10 deckover for about 15 years. The small size is one of the things I really like about it. Not having fenders & wheels sticking out on both sides makes loading material from the sides, with a small compact tractor & loader, much easier. It also takes up a lot less room in my barn.

A disadvantage to a deckover is that it it difficult to haul wheeled items, such as garden tractors & golf carts, in it. You need long ramps to do it safely.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for all the responses. This puts my mind at ease with my decision to go with the deckover.

I'm planning on a barn door style tailgate, but I will see if there is a 3 way option.

As far as axles go, I think the 10k rated trailer is where I should be. I don't expect to be hauling that much weight frequently, but I think it is about $300 more for the 10k rated trailer versus the 7k rated.

·
Premium Member
1,706 Posts
Thanks for all the responses. This puts my mind at ease with my decision to go with the deckover.

I'm planning on a barn door style tailgate, but I will see if there is a 3 way option.

As far as axles go, I think the 10k rated trailer is where I should be. I don't expect to be hauling that much weight frequently, but I think it is about $300 more for the 10k rated trailer versus the 7k rated.
Yes go with the 10k rated model. Mine is 7k rated & it is very easy to overload it.

·
Registered
4,437 Posts
stupid question, but what does "deckover" mean and what is the difference?

·
Premium Member
10,067 Posts
stupid question, but what does "deckover" mean and what is the difference?
A deckover trailer has the entire deck of the trailer above the wheels.

A low boy/ in between the wheels style does not.

Photos courtesy of the Internet. These are flatbed trailers, but the same is true for dumps, goosenecks, etc.

·
Registered
3,687 Posts
I bought mine new in 1999, to preserve my pickup that I had just purchased.,,

I know if I had selected a deck-over,,, that fully 50% of the tasks I have done,,, would not have been possible.

A deck over has a high center of gravity,,, some of the loads I have carried would have been unsafe.

Several times, I have purchased non-running machines.
Find a grade, the non-running machine can be loaded by just rolling the machine on.

Actually, virtually every time I load any machine,, I tip the bed up slightly.
The result is a VERY low load height,,,
you feel safe going up a ramp to a bed that is only a foot off the ground. :thumbup1gif:

Two of us loaded these 700 pound non-running GT's by hand,,,
luckily, it was drizzling,, they were easy to turn,,,

·
Registered
5,675 Posts
You're gonna be happy. . .

I understand that concern, however i have a low deck car hauler with a 23" deck height that fulfills that need.

I put an order in for a deckover dump this afternoon.
I think you are going to be very happy when it arrives. I wanted one for years and finally laid out the cash. Now I wish I had done so earlier. Now I wish I had a bigger truck to pull the 10,000 trailer. It doesn't matter for brush, leaves and debris but does for rock and dirt.

Treefarmer

Reactions: pcabe5

·
Registered
583 Posts
Another down side to a deck over is loading by hand. You have to lift higher which can be quite tiresome and bad on the back. If you can load everything with the tractor, you should be good. I'm still looking for a nice dump trailer at a very good price.

·
Registered
386 Posts
I put an order in for a deckover dump this afternoon.
You mentioned Cam superline, did you order the three way one. I think It was them that claimed 12,000 (11960) pounds on 5200 (looks like they have 6000 pound listed now) pound axles. 15 inch tires and all. meaning like 2000 pound tongue load. No other entity rates like that they say they will de rate it at 9990 if I want which is what it is supposed to be the way I see it. 15 inch tires and all. None of the dump trailers seem to use shackle springs and even though the deck over needs ordered and a month or more wait seem not interested in installing anything but the slipper set up. Tipping over could be an issue with the narrower wheel width. There is one company that has a multi stage cylinder at the front end can not recall it.

How does one wheel in front of the other count for tire rating? Single would be only one and dual would be two on the same axle, at least my first guess.
ST225/75R15 LRD Max Capacity (single/dual) 2540/2200

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I ordered a sure trac sd deckover dump 6 x 10 with gvwr of 9990 and a payload of 8060.

The retailer i am using for this purchase, and who i also bought my atc open car hauler from carries cam and sure trac.

The cam raiting seems aggressive. My dealer actually has the cam 3 way in stock, but it is about $3k more than the sure trac that is coming from indiana.

The trailer depot advised that cam and sure trac are comprable in performance in cost, but i was able to get the sure trac on their next delivery possibly for the end of next week. The cam trailer would be at least a month if not longer.

I don't know enough about tire raiting to be certain, but i believe you are right that dual means two tires per side on one axle.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts