Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm in the market for another trailer. On and off, I've wished I had a dump trailer. But, I can use a 2nd deck-over trailer to haul hay off the field (ahead of the rain :raindance:) and moving another piece of equipment in convoy.

Questions about dump trailer issues. Like reliability of the pump system and colder weather use (lighter wt. hyd fluid)? Also, I've noticed that there's alot of 10'-12'-14' trailers available but, just a few 16's and never to be seen 18'-20' footers. Why is that - besides just higher cost?

Are the longer trailers harder to dump safely? Twist the frame; tip over more easily if not on pretty flat area?

If I bought a dump trailer, I'd like to use it to haul the 110TLB in it to where ever I was working. It sure would be easier with at least an 18'er.

Any observations appreciated.

AKfish

·
Super Moderator
5,198 Posts
I'm just tuning in because I'm having the same debate with myself. I'd REALLY like to have a 16'-18' dump trailer... I think. Finding them around here is like finding hen's teeth.

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
A dump feature is really nice when you need that option.
The newer hydraulic dump trailers in the 16' - 18' and above can be ordered with a dual ram system, which eliminates any of the unstable characteristics of a single ram mounted in the center.
Expensive? I think so, but, you get what you pay for, and the dual ram systems are safer than the singles.

·
Registered
231 Posts
I have a 16' load trail low pro dump that I haul the 110 around it. The reason you don't see larger ones frequently is the weight. My trailer empty weigh about 5k+. Another issue is load placement, it's not fantastic for the 110 and that's with me taking off the loader bucket and placing it in the truck bed.

It's a pita to tie down the tractors with the limited space also. I trailered the 110 back from N Carolina to Conn and the trailer did the job but if I end up hauling the tractor more a deck over gn will be at the top of the list.

Matt

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks. Did not consider a double ram configuration. Definitely more stable.

Matt, I thought about locking the loader in the up position with the boom arm (safety block) and keeping the bucket on. I don't suppose another 2' feet would give you enough room to leave the bucket down and just hang more of the backhoe over the rear doors? Maybe load too unbalanced?

Does your trailer have tie-downs inside the box? Just saw a good suggestion here on GTT to tack some extruded wire mesh down on the metal floor to make loading and unloading much safer.

AKfish

·
Premium Member
2,228 Posts
I'm your man......!!!! I just went through this.

I just grabbed a loadtrail gooseneck 16' single-tridem in may of 2014, with a deckover. I love it. I've not put anything as big as a 110 in it, but I'm sure I could.

I do wish that it was a 20', but that's a huge jump in price. I paid about 11000$CDN, and a 20' is easily 5K more. I have a single ram hoist, tie downs, 3 way rear doors, and a roll-up tarp (absolutely essential). I'm cautious when I dump, but I haven't had any close calls.

I'll try and post pics here in a bit.

I hummed and hawed about one for about 6 years - I don't regret it a bit. If I could've found a 20' I wouldn't need my 25' gooseneck anymore.

-J.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1426904043.202362.jpg

·
Registered
447 Posts
Depending on the size you want, this may fit your needs. Sure-trac makes a nice deckover dump trailer with fold down sides for side loading materials. Sure Trac |

Reactions: Levi

·
Premium Member
2,228 Posts
oh ya, mine has fold down sides too...very handy at the lumber yard.

-J.

·
Super Moderator
5,198 Posts
Depending on the size you want, this may fit your needs. Sure-trac makes a nice deckover dump trailer with fold down sides for side loading materials. Sure Trac |
That particular style is only available as a 14'. Booooooo!

To get a 16' or 20' model from them you have to jump up to this: Sure Trac |
I'm guessing that's a whole lot more $$.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I like that fold-down side feature! :thumbup1gif: What do you use that platform on the gooseneck for, Jer? Is that for chains, etc.?

The triple axle configuration looks like it would be real stable under load and when dumping, too. Maybe that's why it was $11K, too?

Wonderin' if the only way to get an 18' footer is to pre-order and given how heavy they are with a triple or dual wheel axles...?

Appreciate the info.

AKfish

·
Premium Member
2,228 Posts
The deck over platform is for attachments, or fuel, or setting the loader on.....etc, anything really. (Coolers??)

I did pre-order, and 16' is the max, until you step up to the 16-20000$ models. Then you're in tandem Dually range, 12000# axles, oil bath, etc. Nice big trailers, but $$$, and need at minimum a 350/3500 to make them usable, if not a top-kick or sport chassis type thing.

-J.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The deck over platform is for attachments, or fuel, or setting the loader on.....etc, anything really. (Coolers??)

I did pre-order, and 16' is the max, until you step up to the 16-20000$ models. Then you're in tandem Dually range, 12000# axles, oil bath, etc. Nice big trailers, but $$$, and need at minimum a 350/3500 to make them usable, if not a top-kick or sport chassis type thing.

-J.

Hmmm... I guess that's the cutoff for 7K axles - 16 foot.

I drove down to the Lower 48 twice last year and flew down once. At least one trip over the road every year since '07. I buy a new trailer and haul equipment back and then sell the trailer for what I've got into it. Typically, that's $2-3K less than the trailer dealers up here.

Been wanting a 1-ton dually truck for a few years as well.

My wife saw a Top-Kick and said "you should buy one of those" ! I just about swallowed my tongue! I'd have to throw one of the tractors out in the cold! I don't have a shop and it sure wouldn't fit in the garage!

Need to get on the phone, I guess.

AKfish

·
Premium Member
2,228 Posts
With the dollar as it is, look in Canada. Call Tom at Ffun trailer sales in Regina. Actually, Alberta saves you 5% - try Airdrie trailer sales.

If you're gonna get a mini semi, get a Pete or a freight. Top kicks R ugly!!!

·
Registered
231 Posts
Thanks. Did not consider a double ram configuration. Definitely more stable.

Matt, I thought about locking the loader in the up position with the boom arm (safety block) and keeping the bucket on. I don't suppose another 2' feet would give you enough room to leave the bucket down and just hang more of the backhoe over the rear doors? Maybe load too unbalanced?

Does your trailer have tie-downs inside the box? Just saw a good suggestion here on GTT to tack some extruded wire mesh down on the metal floor to make loading and unloading much safer.

AKfish
Mine has tie downs (d rings) welded into the bed from the factory. I've also got the scissor lift single piston setup like Jer.
I actually take off the bucket and let the loader arms rest on the front of the trailer. They over hang about 12". The hoe gets locked into the transport position and then I chain it to the rear bed tie downs. Now if DOT wanted to give me issues they certainly could as the hoe should be resting securely in the bed. I actually bought this trailer when I had my 3320 tlb. I could get everything in there with the 3320.

Mine is a lower profile than Jer's unit and has the standard 3 way tailgate. The tarp kit comes standard from Load Trail which was a selling point for me.
I really like having the tarp when hauling mulch. I opted for the solar charger which was inexpensive and works well. If you going larger than 16', get the GN. Mine is BP and handles very well considering it's BP. I opted for fork pockets on mine which LT told me was the first time they built the low pro version with the pockets.

Attachments

·
Administrator
20,866 Posts
Load Trail makes an awesome trailer.

I've never seen the fork pockets before. Is that so you can store your forks for transport?

·
Registered
231 Posts
Load Trail makes an awesome trailer.

I've never seen the fork pockets before. Is that so you can store your forks for transport?
That's correct, super hand to have and not a costly addition by any stretch. I custom ordered that trailer and paid about $8500.
I got exactly what I wanted for less than what anyone in three states had instock. The only regret is the jack, the dealer spec'd a 10k hd jack.
But I had the brilliant idea to opt for the 7k since I was fine on my previous PJ Trailer. Now I haven't had any issues with the 7k but for how HD the trailer is the 10k was a no brainer.:banghead:

Matt

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
With the dollar as it is, look in Canada. Call Tom at Ffun trailer sales in Regina. Actually, Alberta saves you 5% - try Airdrie trailer sales.

If you're gonna get a mini semi, get a Pete or a freight. Top kicks R ugly!!!

Top Kicks are definitely butt ugly! I'm not at all interested in one. I am more inclined to buy a 1-ton dually.

Thanks for the dealer tips. I still have to decide if I'm gonna buy a dump or another deck-over gooseneck. Much depends upon whether I buy a fertilizer spreader and a manure spreader (~100 Bu). No spreaders, I'll get a dump trailer.

I like that pallet fork storage, Matt. That's a new wrinkle for a pre-order. I'm gonna go with a gooseneck hitch regardless of the trailer type. Better handling and control - IMO.

AKfish

·
Registered
618 Posts
There is nothing wrong with the Top Kick. :) I like trucks though, at least it not one of these tiny little Izzuzu runabout trucks. Personally, I am partial to the International TerraStar and DuraStar models. Although I have my eye on an F450 at the dealer too. So many choices so little funding.

·
Registered
992 Posts
I'm just tuning in because I'm having the same debate with myself. I'd REALLY like to have a 16'-18' dump trailer... I think. Finding them around here is like finding hen's teeth.
I think there are several makers/ vendors not that far from you. One on RT 16 in Mendon, one down off Rt. 7 in Smithfield RI and one over in Medfield, Ma.

·
Premium Member
2,228 Posts
Top Kicks are definitely butt ugly!

I like that pallet fork storage, Matt. That's a new wrinkle for a pre-order. I'm gonna go with a gooseneck hitch regardless of the trailer type. Better handling and control - IMO.

AKfish
Amen on the goose and the handling... I love mine.

I didn't say a topkick wouldn't work, I hear they're great trucks, I'm just stating fact - scientific fact - they're fugly.

-J.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts