Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,613 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone here afflicted with the Dutch Oven bug? I thought I ought to have one on the shelf in case of an Apocalypse and I had to eat stewed squirrel cooked over a wood fire in my back yard, but the one I bought is still in the box. The more I see and hear, the more I find out there is a cult of Dutch Oven chefs out there. Anyone here in that category? Any recipes or techniques anyone would like to share? Not that I need another hobby; the Big Green Egg and my Weber grill keeps me pretty well occupied, but who knows. I am always open to a new recipe, especially if it involves charcoal or wood fires.

·
Super Moderator
4,885 Posts
I've had one for years that I only ever use when I go camping to cook biscuits and cornbread in.

I've run into a few folks over the years that really get into using them for everything but I stick to using it as an oven.

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
We have one somewhere. My wife used it years ago when we had a wood stove.
She would put it on to cook in the morning before going to work & food would be ready to eat when we got home in the evening.
I gave up burning wood years ago, so the dutch oven has not been used for years.

·
Registered
3,687 Posts
We go D-O crazy each fall,,, two preps are the minimum to get through the year,,,

chicken and rice,,,
and
peach cobbler (except we substitute apples) (this is the one with a cake mix in the recipe)

We do not cook on a fire or woodstove,, we use charcoal,,
the # of charcoal briquettes is part of the recipe.

I think I could live on the chicken and rice,,, or rice and squirrel,,, or rice and :dunno:,,,

1 - 5 of 5 Posts