Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I put a jar of dyed #2 outside a week or two ago to see if it would get cloudy (it did) and if wax would form (it did.) Here it is after a few days in the sun.

IMG_0676-1024x1024.JPG

·
Premium Member
798 Posts
that looks an awful lot like un-dyed diesel to my untrained eye.

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
Doesn't look dyed to me either.

·
Premium Member
10,928 Posts
This is a comparison photo of dyed vs. straight diesel.

Attachments

·
Registered
12,508 Posts
Maybe the sunlight faded the dye, have any of you left a bottle of windex out in the sun, only takes a couple of days and it will be crystal clear. :thumbup1gif:

Roger, when will you reveal my prize. :lol:

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
Maybe the sunlight faded the dye, have any of you left a bottle of windex out in the sun, only takes a couple of days and it will be crystal clear. :thumbup1gif:

If that's true, I'm heading to get some clear 250-500gal fuel storage containers and running "outlaw fuel" in my truck on the highway:lolol:

·
Registered
12,508 Posts
If that's true, I'm heading to get some clear 250-500gal fuel storage containers and running "outlaw fuel" in my truck on the highway:lolol:
You'd easily find a market for it.

·
Premium Member
798 Posts

I wondered who'd be first to go looking for a 100 gal mason jar...

Yes, many dyes fade with UV exposure. I know I wasn't questioning whether the fuel started as dyed, I was just stating that it looks un-dyed.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

The check is in the mail.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
This is a comparison photo of dyed vs. straight diesel.

When I sat it out in the cold, it looked like the one on the left. It was outside at the corner of my garage. Sunshine melted a little snow off the metal roof and froze the jar down. A couple days later, it looked like the one on the right. Kind of my point. I figure the UV toasted the dye.

·
Premium Member
7,897 Posts
Ok, it toasted at least the color of the dye.

Windex left in the sun will still clean your windows.

Will the toasted dye diesel test positive when DOT takes their sample?

:munch:

·
Premium Member
10,928 Posts
Ok, it toasted at least the color of the dye.

Windex left in the sun will still clean your windows.

Will the toasted dye diesel test positive when DOT takes their sample?

Don't they just do a visual test?

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
I'm pretty sure the only difference btwn on road (high tax) and off road diesel is red dye.

·
Premium Member
7,897 Posts
Don't they just do a visual test?
Every sample I've had taken was a dip tube with some kind of paper on it. I never cared, I didn't run off-road in anything but the refer.

I know of some that tried to only put a little bit in and got busted.

I'm pretty sure the only difference btwn on road (high tax) and off road diesel is red dye.
Ok.

I don't know for sure if it is "just" the color.

You go first.

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
Every sample I've had taken was a dip tube with some kind of paper on it. I never cared, I didn't run off-road in anything but the refer.

Ok.

You go first.

This is starting to feel like a trap:doorclose:

·
Premium Member
7,897 Posts
What I do know is that you'll have to get away with running a lot of off road to make the fine negligible.

The difference in the cost isn't near as much as the fine.

In a non-commercial pickup that never sees a work site, your chances of being tested are slim.

·
Registered
161 Posts
I wondered who'd be first to go looking for a 100 gal mason jar...

Yes, many dyes fade with UV exposure. I know I wasn't questioning whether the fuel started as dyed, I was just stating that it looks un-dyed.
Not sure about dyed fuel, but I can tell ya for sure the sun will take the red out of humming bird food.

It starts out red, and within a couple of days in the sun it's clear as can be.

·
Registered
12,508 Posts
Not sure about dyed fuel, but I can tell ya for sure the sun will take the red out of humming bird food.

It starts out red, and within a couple of days in the sun it's clear as can be.
Sure does, that's why my wife has gone to red glass feeders and makes her own juice.

·
Registered
1,650 Posts

Ok.

You go first.
Ill go...:laugh:

According to Country Mark, a large semi-local fuel supplier around here, the dye is the only difference.
I had a few back and forth emails with them regarding Winter fuel blends, and a couple other things, and when asked about the difference, that was it. They take their regular blend, whatever seasonal blend it happens to be, and add dye to it, done.
Any other chemicals the dye might have in it would have to be inert to the fuel system, so its unlikely its anything else.

Now someone needs to go find a test kit and test the UV exposed dyed fuel.

·
Premium Member
7,897 Posts
Ill go...:laugh:

According to Country Mark, a large semi-local fuel supplier around here, the dye is the only difference.
I had a few back and forth emails with them regarding Winter fuel blends, and a couple other things, and when asked about the difference, that was it. They take their regular blend, whatever seasonal blend it happens to be, and add dye to it, done.
Any other chemicals the dye might have in it would have to be inert to the fuel system, so its unlikely its anything else.

Now someone needs to go find a test kit and test the UV exposed dyed fuel.
Put some in your tank and drive to the nearest DOT facility.

I'll vouch for you that it was just a "scientific test".

promise

cross my heart

double dog dare ya.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts