Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I bought my 4010 last week I noticed the chain stabilizers were both broke. I figured $10-15 and I would be good. JD sure is proud of those little buggers. I can't find any cheaper than the ones in the link. I think I can build a Coupe using some grade 8 left handed nuts, bolts, 3/4" iron pipe and chain.

Here's my plan. Take the eyes off the swing arm and welding 1/2 a link to the lh bolt head. This will work just like the OEM part. Then weld a lh and rh nut on each end of a 4" section of iron pipe, the weld another chain link to the rh bolt on the tractor side. For leverage I'll weld another chain link to the pipe to make it easier to turn.

http://www.griggslawnandtractor.net/oem-style-john-deere-chain-stabilizer
Think it will work?

·
Registered
11,776 Posts
i don't see why u can't build ur own. i liked the one that had the handle on the piece that u had to tighten up. but it was out of stock. and it was only $20 too. good luck, and post some pics when ur done ok.:thumbup1gif:

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Registered
11,776 Posts
i like the first link u posted. why-because of the handle to tighten it up with. but both have a jam nut u are gonna have to tighten up, every time u change implements. that is another great reason to go with a I-match. then u aren't bothered by them little devils every time u change a implement.

on my 2520 mcut--a snap pin or one of them round circle ring goes thru a hole to keep mine from coming loose, once u tighten them up, and it's tight to work their also, at least for my big hands.

whatta u mean when u say time isn't free???:munch:

·
Premium Member
11,045 Posts
on my 2520 mcut--a snap pin or one of them round circle ring goes thru a hole to keep mine from coming loose, once u tighten them up, and it's tight to work their also, at least for my big hands.
I refer to those as "devil rings". :)

·
Bonehead Club Lackey
10,204 Posts
I refer to those as "devil rings". :)
I use a bungee strap going from one to the other over the top of PTO guard. No rings or snap anything.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ended up buying these. The ones I liked better were a bit too long and these fit on more like the OEM part. Built a couple bushings out of iron pipe to fill the gap, but still left a little space to allow for a little movement.
20170227_163343.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

1 - 7 of 7 Posts