Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a ton of fence rows that need cleared, and i'm thinking a grapple would make quick work of it. I have been thinking about the 60 inch wicked root grapple for the 3046r for a few years now. I finally convinced my wife to let me pull the trigger, and called their sales team today.

Of course the price went up about $3500 for the 60inch right now. I'm OK with that, the struggle I have is that there is a 5-6 month lead time and they want the full price up front. Now this is something I struggle with, and i'm asking you guys if you think it is worth it? I would be OK with a deposit and then the rest at shipping, or paying up front for a net 30 to 60 day waiting period. Holding on to my $3500 though for 6 months seems extreme. Why should they collect interest on my money while I sit for half a year with nothing to show for it?

I guess with the "new normal" I should be used to companies demanding that from customers these days, but I'm curious to those who own one is it worth the wait/cash tie up or should I be looking for some other company that wants my business more?

·
Premium Member
12,965 Posts

·
Registered
2,658 Posts
I’d say EA attachments are worth the cost and the wait. If you ordered it 6 months ago you’d have it now and would’ve paid less. Nobody’s earning any interest on money in the bank right now. Would you rather pay a deposit then in May get a bill for even more as inflation keeps rising?
Since they have a 6 month wait that should tell you their products are in demand. Check out their FB group page, they show pics and videos from inside their factory all the time. Top notch products and good people to deal with in my experience.

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Not for my budget or beliefs in how a business should operate. I could maybe see a partial deposit but all the money up front and that kind of wait period might catch up with somebody somewhere down the line.

Back when they were two thousand and something and still wanted up front money to build I bought a 60" MTL for $1100 and had it at my door in three days.

There are other grapple and implement companies to deal with that build then sell as they should.

MTL's statement on their web site says for grapples that are more than 12 days out will show as "SOLD OUT". They have single lid 60" models starting at $1279.

This is a new world we are living in these days so I say shop around and do what you are comfortable with.

·
Registered
503 Posts
I was a little perturbed by having to pay nine hundred bucks up front for a BXpanded order with a two month wait. Four times that for six months would put me over the edge.

If when I am ready to order my aerator from EA it my be reconsidered if the terms and wait time are the same as your grapple.

Reactions: Jimmy Walker

·
Registered
339 Posts
Might want to talk to these guys

·
Registered
2,658 Posts
Whichever you decide you’ll probably want to invest in a grill guard and maybe hydraulic line guards on the loader arms to minimize damage from ambitious grappling!

·
Registered
507 Posts
The wait time is what I have a problem with. I have an EA Grapple and I will say it was one the best items bought for the tractor. Price and delivery time will be something to think about.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It seems that I'm not completely off my rocker to think that full price upfront with that kind of a wait is crazy. I'm still not sure what to do, because I have read the reviews, and I like what I see. When I ordered my Lathe from Grizzly last in 2020 there was a 6 month lead time, and they didn't charge a dime for the order until it shipped from their warehouse. That is how to do business, or a simple deposit. I guess I have the weekend to think it over, but I have to say i'm very disappointed.

·
Registered
2,658 Posts
If you’re concerned they are going to stiff you then put it on a credit card with fraud protection. EA has been in business for a very long time and is currently building additional space to increase production. I don’t see them pocketing your money and disappearing. Long wait times are now the norm for quality manufactured durable goods.

·
Premium Member
236 Posts
I find mine very useful. I have used it to clear trails in my woods. Approximately 4" trees in sandy soil. I can get under the tree and most of the time lift the whole tree out of the ground. I have used it to clear an old fence line. Pulled the old fence posts and some old wire that was buried out of the ground. Moved an 800 pound 42" pipeline cap out of my truck and placed in in the front pasture for a fire pit. I use it to hold trees off the ground for cutting into firewood sized logs, then moving the tree tops to a pile to be mulched. Moved railroad ties, water troughs, ect.

I shopped on Craig's List for a few weeks and found several grapples for sale. Settled on the EA that looked like new for less than half price of new, a few hours away, but with the skid steer mount. Had to cut that mount off and weld on the JD quick coupler. Works great if I lost this one buying another would be high on my priority list.

One thing I had not considered until I used mine was how it closes. The ends "fingers" touch which leaves a big opening inside the bucket, or one where the fingers of the bucket interlace. For holding a whole tree to cut into fireplace sized logs, I would rather have the bucket close all the way on the trunk to hold it securely while I cut it. My EA closes and the ends of the teeth touch leaving the tree "floating" in the middle of the bucket. As long as it is balanced it is OK, but would rather have the bucket hold it firmly.

·
Registered
2013 John Deere 3520
288 Posts
I like my EA root grapple. I didn't like the wait, or the lack of communication regarding order status. At the time I ordered i was told 12 weeks. It turned out closer to 19 weeks before I received it. Calling and emailing gets you a canned response.

I will say it is very well built. I have a tendency to abuse things and I haven't broken or bent it yet. I can't say the same for the grill on my tractor. Day 1 with the grapple and I destroyed the grill. No damage to the radiator, thank God. The advice about a grill guard should be heeded.

I haven't had the success uprooting trees or stumps that others have had. Could be the hard soil we have here, or my lack of expertise.

Sent from my SM-G998U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
If you’re concerned they are going to stiff you then put it on a credit card with fraud protection. EA has been in business for a very long time and is currently building additional space to increase production. I don’t see them pocketing your money and disappearing. Long wait times are now the norm for quality manufactured durable goods.
I don't know about your cards but mine have a 3 month time limit to dispute a charge.

I tried to purchase a garage door last year and they charged the whole amount up front. THEN they told me it would be at least 6 months before it arrived at the installer which would THEN schedule to fit THEIR schedule. I canceled and got a refund. Had I went along with it and got stiffed I would have been out the whole amount. I tried several other door installers and got a similar run around. One had a disclaimer on their quote that said scratches and dents were normal on a new door and no resolution would be offered for poor condition. REALLY?

Like I said, we are living in a different time but if we don't accept it things will return to normal.

Reactions: FLA-STAN and rtgt

·
Premium Member
12,965 Posts
I would not be concerned with EA stiffing you.

That said I would still shop elsewhere because their terms are unreasonable.

They build good stuff, but they are a bit too proud of themselves IMO.

There are lots of other companies that make good quality products to choose from.

@JDLTG ordered a grapple a while back (during this stupid pandemic) and didn't get bent over a barrel for it and didn't have to wait forever to get it either.

I realize that it took a while to get "approval" and your ready to pull the trigger but there are plenty of deer in the woods. You don't have to shoot the first one you see.

·
Premium Member
2,332 Posts
I read about EA and shake my head. Their product is made well, but not any better than many of the other re-sellers you'll find if you look hard enough. I am and have been a Frontier fan for many years. I can buy attachments through my dealer, have no issues with quality (as good or better than EA), pricing is decent and negotiable.

Below is a link to the Frontier attachment page. Take a look at the demolition, debris, and root grapples. I'm sure you'll find the grapple to fill your needs and your dealer may even have one in stock. Plus, you can add it to your revolving account at 9% if you feel like doing that. My grapple is the AV20F. Two years of hard work and no issues at all.

Frontier™ Loader Attachments | John Deere US

Motor vehicle Green Automotive tire Vehicle Gas
Wheel Tire Vehicle Plant Automotive tire
Plant Tree Grass Groundcover Pollution

Reactions: EVT and Montana Dan

·
Registered
631 Posts
It seems that I'm not completely off my rocker to think that full price upfront with that kind of a wait is crazy. I'm still not sure what to do, because I have read the reviews, and I like what I see. When I ordered my Lathe from Grizzly last in 2020 there was a 6 month lead time, and they didn't charge a dime for the order until it shipped from their warehouse. That is how to do business, or a simple deposit. I guess I have the weekend to think it over, but I have to say i'm very disappointed.
When I contract for a job, I ask for 50 - 60% down to cover materials. Then get the remaining, + upgrades when finished. I think that's fair and keeps everybody committed and motivated.

·
Premium Member
3,458 Posts
I would check out CTA in Wis. I got my grapples in 4 days back in the old days. I know SulleyBear just got a plow and grapple from them, I don't remember him having trouble getting what he wanted. Their QA is great.

Reactions: offroad00 and rtgt

·
Registered
36 Posts
Add me to the crowd that doesn't get it. Don't get me wrong, from what I can see they build a great product, but there are many others out there that are just as good without the wait. I follow the FB page just to watch the comments. I bought my CTA grapple earlier this year and had it in about a week (including a couple days that the shipping company failed to notify me that it was in). At the time, EA I think was telling everyone 12-14 weeks.

·
Administrator
21,597 Posts
I have a friend with the CTA grapple on his 3039R, its a fine piece of equipment.

1 - 20 of 65 Posts