Green Tractor Talk banner

EA Wicked root grapple worth it?

18K views 65 replies 34 participants last post by  Fastrunner08 
#1 ·
I have a ton of fence rows that need cleared, and i'm thinking a grapple would make quick work of it. I have been thinking about the 60 inch wicked root grapple for the 3046r for a few years now. I finally convinced my wife to let me pull the trigger, and called their sales team today.

Of course the price went up about $3500 for the 60inch right now. I'm OK with that, the struggle I have is that there is a 5-6 month lead time and they want the full price up front. Now this is something I struggle with, and i'm asking you guys if you think it is worth it? I would be OK with a deposit and then the rest at shipping, or paying up front for a net 30 to 60 day waiting period. Holding on to my $3500 though for 6 months seems extreme. Why should they collect interest on my money while I sit for half a year with nothing to show for it?

I guess with the "new normal" I should be used to companies demanding that from customers these days, but I'm curious to those who own one is it worth the wait/cash tie up or should I be looking for some other company that wants my business more?

#36 ·
It looks like a Black berry vine killing machine.
I'm amazed at how large the opening is.
And It appears it will grab a Log......
Will it Hold it vs a grapple with a "L" shape lower jaw.

Why is a 2 jaw upper supreme..Tim..?
I have my thoughts= uneven load perhaps....yours?

#40 ·
It looks like a Black berry vine killing machine.
I'm amazed at how large the opening is.
And It appears it will grab a Log......
Will it Hold it vs a grapple with a "L" shape lower jaw.

Why is a 2 jaw upper supreme..Tim..?
I have my thoughts= uneven load perhaps....yours?
Yes. Every single load is uneven. …we’ll, except for those ‘cherry picked’ for marketing photos of the single clamp grapples.

We show and discuss this frequently in our videos. Usually as we are in the midst of a real world project.
Two clamps just grabs tighter. In almost every load, once clamped tight, you will see the two clamps are not close to the same level, indicating that exact situation.

Also, we compare pros and cons of the two styles of grapples. Hard for me to choose a favorite! The Artillian is better for some applications, and the Precision ‘clamshell’ is better for others. Again, we illustrate and discuss this in our videos, showing the good and the bad for each.

The good news is that either style gets the job done!

Tim

#37 ·
Isn't this the grapple used to move the Hindenburg around in high wind conditions?

Reactions: Tractor Tim
#38 ·
Nope
Thats the Fronteir one with the single upper jaw
Sits on the Fork frame
In reality
I think its the best bang for the buck.

I just want one........and it ain't easy for a 70A loader frame.
Now the op has a ton of choices..... 😜

#39 ·
I dont really get it sometimes. People here clammor non stop "bring back jobs", "we need good paying jobs", "wish there was an American made option". And then EA goes and does exactly that and people meltdown when lead times go through the roof because people respond to it in kind.

If EA is guaranteeing its prices and requires the full amount, I dont really have an issue with that. Dealt with plenty who want full money down. I just ordered 3k worth of doors that were 6 weeks out. Full money required up front. Ordered windows for the house this summer, 5k full down up front with a 12 week wait. It isnt unheard of and it isnt unreasonable when material prices are out of control. I do agree that EA lead times are crazy, but I just checked on a landplane from the local dealer and they are a year out..... so is 6 months really that bad? They have also committed to what I am sure is a multi million dollar expansion and are paying guys a living wage to do factory line work.

#41 ·
I dont really get it sometimes. People here clammor non stop "bring back jobs", "we need good paying jobs", "wish there was an American made option". And then EA goes and does exactly that and people meltdown when lead times go through the roof because people respond to it in kind.

If EA is guaranteeing its prices and requires the full amount, I dont really have an issue with that. Dealt with plenty who want full money down. I just ordered 3k worth of doors that were 6 weeks out. Full money required up front. Ordered windows for the house this summer, 5k full down up front with a 12 week wait. It isnt unheard of and it isnt unreasonable when material prices are out of control. I do agree that EA lead times are crazy, but I just checked on a landplane from the local dealer and they are a year out..... so is 6 months really that bad? They have also committed to what I am sure is a multi million dollar expansion and are paying guys a living wage to do factory line work.
EA says they pay a minimum of $30/hour for anyone that works there.
Without a significant down payment or full money up front I think they’d get ghosted on a lot of orders, for example you need a grapple ASAP so you order from 5 different places then cancel 4 of them once one gets delivered.

#45 ·
Life isn't life without a grapple. Have fun, and good luck.

#46 ·
Enjoy. I think the precision and ea are probably the best out there. I’m picking up my Frontier AV20F Monday. I can’t wait. In stock and half the price. I think it will do all I need it to. I was lucky to find a dealer that had one at the old price of $1500 and not the new list price of $2100. I see agfolks says the precision is about a 12 wk lead time. If You have the time and the $$ it’s a really nice grapple.

#49 ·
Looks like the price has gone up as bit since I bought mine.

Rectangle Font Parallel Screenshot Number
Rectangle Font Parallel Pattern Number
Rectangle Font Parallel Number Monochrome

#52 ·
Several points of view stated on the way EA does business.
Yes, it’s always good to support a business that puts out quality products and services.

What differentiates one business from another is how they manage their capitalization and the cost of doing business.

Yes, it’s America. Whenever possible, we want to keep jobs in America and buy American made.

However, there are choices available, right now, from companies that can deliver with far tighter schedules and at competitive prices. It’s up to us to do the due diligence (including asking our friends on the forums).

I am a member of several motorcycle forums. I hear the same topic frequently: 100% upfront. It depends on what you’re buying & when you need it.
I prefer to do business with companies that don’t need 100% upfront money.
Some projects require 100% upfront payment. But usually the delivery schedule is far more acceptable.

EA will continue to do business in a manner that’s appropriate for them. Perhaps they will restructure their business plan to something a bit more acceptable, in terms of turnaround.

I agree with the original OP’s contention: Six months is too long.

Reactions: theduke
#53 ·
I have a ton of fence rows that need cleared, and i'm thinking a grapple would make quick work of it. I have been thinking about the 60 inch wicked root grapple for the 3046r for a few years now. I finally convinced my wife to let me pull the trigger, and called their sales team today.

Of course the price went up about $3500 for the 60inch right now. I'm OK with that, the struggle I have is that there is a 5-6 month lead time and they want the full price up front. Now this is something I struggle with, and i'm asking you guys if you think it is worth it? I would be OK with a deposit and then the rest at shipping, or paying up front for a net 30 to 60 day waiting period. Holding on to my $3500 though for 6 months seems extreme. Why should they collect interest on my money while I sit for half a year with nothing to show for it?

I guess with the "new normal" I should be used to companies demanding that from customers these days, but I'm curious to those who own one is it worth the wait/cash tie up or should I be looking for some other company that wants my business more?
I would not do business with anyone who disrespects let alone abuses me in advance. There are alternatives, one I highly recommend is Compact Tractor Attachments, LLC out of Malone, WI, whose website is www.ctattachments.com. I purchased a grapple for my 3039R Cab and have found it a more than capable unit at a fair price. It works as it should, is made from good steel, not excessively heavy and is a good design lubrication wise. I doubt you will have any problems but if you do have any problems they stand behind their product. This buy was a fresh welcome experience in these fetid times.

#54 ·

I use a 60" Rhino on my 3046R. Probably my most used attachment. $1500.00 two years ago. Grapples are great tools but I've never been as successful clearing brush as some of the videos. Have a lot of out of control boxwood and assorted vines & briars.

#56 ·
EA is great at marketing. Is the grapple good? Sure… do you need the wicked? Id venture to say 90% or more dont need the added beefiness. The extreme would probably be more than sufficient.

To add, its expensive… too expensive if you ask me. I own some of their stuff, and Ive been around skid steers, mini’s etc etc a long time being in construction… again its good stuff but doesn’t warrant the price tag - enter their marketing.

The wait time is usually longer than quoted as well, believe that.

#58 ·
I recently purchased a nearly new JD 4044m with the primary purpose being clearing my property of brush, blackberries, dead trees, and hundreds of 2-4" elm trees. In the last few weeks I've spent dozens of hours reading and watching videos about grapples. Ive read until my eyes hurt. This thread has been very helpful.

I was leaning heavily toward the EA, but I need a grapple much sooner than 6 months. After reading this I'm looking at stump buckets and then a less costly grapple just used to move the trees and debris. I had ruled out the Brush Crusher, but using the stump bucket may make it more appealing because it saves the 3rd function addition cost?

I have a lot more questions that are probably better suited for a different thread.

My research list now includes CTA, MS, Precision Manufacturing, and maybe the smaller Frontier av20f.

Decisions, decisions.

#59 ·
Aside from EA's new facility opening up, and I expect that them having more room will hasten production. I've not heard anyone mentioning having canceling an order from EA. ?
If I'm not mistaken, you have the ability to cancel an order with them at any point, at no penalty cost to you. 100% refund. They'll simply offer it on their FB page as unclaimed and available to first come, first served.
Please correct me, only if you know I'm mistaken... ;<{P}}}}}}}

#60 ·

I have an EA grapple on my 3046R and for the job you’re describing, I think it is well worth the price.

I ordered a land plane from them this fall and ran into the same thing. I paid for it up front but won’t see it until spring. I have been very satisfied with the company and from what I see and hear, they have a very good reputation. One way to look at it that may be valid in these strange and high inflation times is that you are locking in the price.

Would I do it again? Yes.

#64 ·

I have been looking for a grapple as well, found homestead and they said could have it to me in 6 weeks. Don’t know which is the better of the 2.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.