Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was woken up by my fire pager a little after 2am yesterday saying that there was a structure fire at a business in town. So, out the door I went and was on scene within a few minutes. I couldn't believe my eyes when I got there. The 20,000 sq ft garage/shop was totally engulfed and three quarters of the roof was down (first pic). I immediately grabbed my radio and told our dispatch (Sheriff's Office) to call our 2 neighboring Fire Departments and have them send "EVERYTHING". This business is a trucking company with close to 50 trucks and employs about to 80 people. The business owner, who is also a member of the fire department, was already on scene and told me that we absolutely had to save their office building……….which was less than 50 feet from the garage. He said that all of their records, files, and computers systems were extremely vital to the survival of the company.

When my guys arrived with all the equipment, I told them to just focus on saving the office building. We immediately began watering down the office from 3 sides. It was tough because the 30 mph wind was pushing the fire and hot embers towards us.

When the other two departments arrived I told them to setup on the front and back sides of the garage and begin trying to knock down the blaze.

Within an hour the garage was completely down and the fire was contained. I couldn’t believe how fast this place burned down. I was told a little after that the garage had 11 trucks and 1 trailer parked inside. Each truck was full of fuel (240 gal). Now I knew why………….2,640 gallons of diesel fuel will do that to a building.

Thanks to the quick work by my guys………..we were able to save the office and the business is still running.

It’s been nearly 20 years since we’ve had a structure fire this big. The first and third pic were taken from the same spot at a different angle. It shows you how close the office was to the garage.

Fire Demolishes St. Agatha Trucking Company Building - Maine's News, Sports, And Weather Leader - WABI TV5

https://bangordailynews.com/2014/11/22/news/aroostook/early-morning-fire-destroys-trucking-company-building-in-st-agatha/

This is the third fire in our county this past week. The two others were fatal fires……….extremely sad.

https://bangordailynews.com/2014/11/21/news/aroostook/3-year-old-boy-set-fire-that-killed-caribou-family/

St. Francis man killed in fire likely caused by his using gasoline to start wood stove — Aroostook — Bangor Daily News — BDN Maine

Attachments

·
Administrator
20,677 Posts
Wow.... I hope they are able to make a recovery from that. 80 people without jobs this time of year could be another major disaster.

·
GTT's Pilot in Command (PIC)
8,558 Posts
Gives new meaning to the word, Inferno. I am glad that y'all were able to save the office and records. Sure hope there is some insurance to help with the losses.

And a huge thanks to you and the others for being there and doing such a great job of trying to save the important papers. I don't think first responders get enough credit, but this one incident shows how valuable they are!

·
Administrator
17,962 Posts
That is so sad to see, at least no one was hurt. Any idea of the cause yet?

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
37,435 Posts
sterling40man, You're a fine person. I got cold chills just looking at the pictures. It happens so often, any time, any place and to any one.
I liked Farmgirl's comment "I don't think first responders get enough credit, but this one incident shows how valuable they are!"

·
Super Moderator
5,101 Posts
2,600+ gallon of fuel! Must have been like a rocket launching. Does your Dept. even have foam trucks to deal with that sort of thing?

Hats off to you and the crews! It takes an awful lot of dedication to climb out of a nice warm bed to tackle this kind of thing.

(Reading your posts kinda makes me long for "The County"! Not in the middle of winter, but I miss the community!)

·
Premium Member
2,899 Posts
Wow!

·
Registered
2,158 Posts
so sad, glad no one was hurt...great work by you and your team....

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for all the support! It means a lot. We've had a lot of support from the community as well. The owners and their families are extremely active in our town. They've done a great deal for us and I can't thank them enough. Like I said........one of the owners is on the department and so are two of his mechanics. Whenever there is something mechanically wrong with one of the fire trucks.......he'll have one of those two fix it on company time. If we get a fire call during business hours........he pays them anyway. Extremely generous people.

All three departments worked extremely well together. Mutual aid a huge asset to have. Here are some answers to your questions.

• Not all employees will be without work. They have setup a temporary shop in an adjacent building and a local farmer has offered his work shop.
  • The business was well insured.
  • No one was injured.
  • The Fire Marshall called me yesterday afternoon and said because of the extreme damage the cause is undetermined.
  • There was no fuel explosions (thank god). We do have foam on our pumper and one of our neighboring departments has a foam trailer with a deck gun. That would only be used for fuel tanker fires, etc. The fuel burned out fast. The building had a metal roof and walls. Once it was down we called in a logging crane. He took the metal off so we could extinguish what was under. As I'm sure you all know.........shooting water on metal is a waste of time.

·
Registered
967 Posts
Why would you have to tell your guys to save the building as opposed to..... what?

·
Registered
11,895 Posts
Volunteer firefighters and EMS people are truly lifesavers for our small communities. Thanks for doing what you do, Bob and thanks to the rest of you who are volunteers in your towns.

·
Premium Member
971 Posts
Great save on the office. Metal roofs on any structure are very frustrating. Your crew and mutual aid partners did a fantastic job!

Pete

·
Registered
71 Posts
I agree. Metal roofs are a pita for a fire dept. We had a fire at my work a couple years ago and within 30min of the initial call of a fire the roof of our building was glowing red hot in the 5am darkness.
The building was a total loss but we rebuilt and changed the way the building was done the second time. All concrete!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Why would you have to tell your guys to save the building as opposed to..... what?
I'm king of confused about your question..........but I'll give it a shot.

..........as opposed to saving the office building "and" trying to extinguish the garage at the same time. The garage was already gone. We focused everything we had to save the office building..........5 hose crews........that's 10 guys throwing water to keep the office building cold. The fire was extremely hot and the wind was pushing fire towards the office building less than 50 feet away. With only one pumper and one tanker at the time.........we were limited until the other departments got there. You have to understand.......this is a volunteer department with 22 guys. Everyone of us has a full time job. I had 15 guys show up that night.......and that's a big crew. Once the other departments got there.......they began knocking the fire down.

·
Registered
967 Posts
I'm king of confused about your question..........but I'll give it a shot.

..........as opposed to saving the office building "and" trying to extinguish the garage at the same time. The garage was already gone. We focused everything we had to save the office building..........5 hose crews........that's 10 guys throwing water to keep the office building cold. The fire was extremely hot and the wind was pushing fire towards the office building less than 50 feet away. With only one pumper and one tanker at the time.........we were limited until the other departments got there. You have to understand.......this is a volunteer department with 22 guys. Everyone of us has a full time job. I had 15 guys show up that night.......and that's a big crew. Once the other departments got there.......they began knocking the fire down.
Thank You for clearing that up. (20-Year U.S.A.F. Fire Fighter with a Shingle)

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thank You for clearing that up. (20-Year U.S.A.F. Fire Fighter with a Shingle)
Pardon my ignorance.............what's a Firefighter with a Shingle?

·
Registered
967 Posts
1 - 20 of 23 Posts