Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,884 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Woo Hoo Hoo! Three earthquakes last night; one at 5:36 am that was a doozie! Worst one we've had here, at least in my area. I have a set of "Charlie Brown/Lucy" toys (I call them my earthquake detectors) that are designed to sit on the edge of a table, etc. like they were sitting on a dock or ledge with their feet hanging over the side. Both on the floor this morning!

·
Premium Member
9,191 Posts
Zoinks!

The ground moving under you is never a good thing. Hope all is well.

We had a few when I was stationed in CA. Aftershocks were a bit un-nerving.

Kept a glass of water on the table to look at. If it wasn't moving then you knew it was just your mind playing tricks on you.

·
Super Moderator
2,707 Posts
As long as the New Madrid fault line doesn't shake. That one was a doozy the last time (1811-12) and if it goes again, it will totally devastate much of the midwest. Last time it changed the course of the Mississippi River, to the point it ran backwards for a while; created a lake in Tennessee, and lot of lives where lost, even though that area wasn't heavily populated. It even rang church bells in Montreal.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Madrid_Seismic_Zone

·
GTT's Pilot in Command (PIC)
8,558 Posts
Yep, all that fracking is coming home to roost.

·
Premium Member
2,899 Posts
Yeah, we're seeing a huge increase in small quakes northwest of us in the area that has a heavy frac activity. The earth shifts enough on its own without fracturing it.

·
Registered
91 Posts
As long as the New Madrid fault line doesn't shake. That one was a doozy the last time (1811-12) and if it goes again, it will totally devastate much of the midwest. Last time it changed the course of the Mississippi River, to the point it ran backwards for a while; created a lake in Tennessee, and lot of lives where lost, even though that area wasn't heavily populated. It even rang church bells in Montreal.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Madrid_Seismic_Zone
Reelfoot lake is a great vacation spot :)

I was just stationed in the bay area [CA] for their 1989 quake.
Getting around w/out those main highways was a pain.

The USAF decided I would crawl around inside the walls and photograph quake damage [one of those 'new guy' jobs - you vets know the first word].

·
8,558 Posts
Reelfoot lake is a great vacation spot :)

I was just stationed in the bay area [CA] for their 1989 quake.
Getting around w/out those main highways was a pain.

The USAF decided I would crawl around inside the walls and photograph quake damage [one of those 'new guy' jobs - you vets know the first word].
All I've ever heard the "new guy" referred to is, FNG.

However, I am not a veteran, or active.

·
Registered
3,554 Posts
Woo Hoo Hoo! Three earthquakes last night; one at 5:36 am that was a doozie! Worst one we've had here, at least in my area. I have a set of "Charlie Brown/Lucy" toys (I call them my earthquake detectors) that are designed to sit on the edge of a table, etc. like they were sitting on a dock or ledge with their feet hanging over the side. Both on the floor this morning!
In this house we call that a "Cat Quake" and we have lots of them... which is why the grandfather clock is attached to the wall with a small chain!

Have not noticed any "temblors/tremblers" 20 years in this house other than blasting day over at the quarry and those aren't as strong as years ago. (Probably tighter gvmnt regs.)

I think I'd rather have my house "shook down" than blown away or flooded! Wow, those folks along the MO river....!:banghead:

·
Premium Member
7,730 Posts
Personally, I suspect that all the "fracking" going on has got to have some of this earthquake activity stirred up.
"For every action, there is an equal and opposite REaction".......
Yep, all that fracking is coming home to roost.
Actually it's not the fracking itself; but the disposal of the spent fracking fluids in wastewater wells because the greenies won't let the brackish water be dumped in evaporation ponds.

When I was a kid (1960's) the Army pumped all sorts of nasty stuff into the ground at the now defunct Rocky Mountain Arsenal northeast of Denver. Once the pumping stopped, so did the minor quakes.

·
Premium Member
4,884 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
In this house we call that a "Cat Quake" and we have lots of them... which is why the grandfather clock is attached to the wall with a small chain!

Have not noticed any "temblors/tremblers" 20 years in this house other than blasting day over at the quarry and those aren't as strong as years ago. (Probably tighter gvmnt regs.)

I think I'd rather have my house "shook down" than blown away or flooded! Wow, those folks along the MO river....!:banghead:
They're starting to refer to the quakes as "underground tornadoes".

·
Premium Member
4,400 Posts
All I've ever heard the "new guy" referred to is, FNG.

However, I am not a veteran, or active.
You must mean "fairly new Guy" right FG!!!! :laugh:

·
Hey, I want a title too!
3,680 Posts
Growing up in SoCal earthquakes were common place. You'd learn about the which ones to worry about. I'm sure Pappa can attest to that.

It's crazy they are occurring in the middle of the country, it's like the sink hole phenomenon in FL. You create empty pockets underground and you can expect there to me earth shifts.

I'd think I'd take my chances with an earthquake vs a tornado though.

·
8,558 Posts
Growing up in SoCal earthquakes were common place. You'd learn about the which ones to worry about. I'm sure Pappa can attest to that.

It's crazy they are occurring in the middle of the country, it's like the sink hole phenomenon in FL. You create empty pockets underground and you can expect there to me earth shifts.

I prefer to be in tornado alley, vs, hurricane alley or earthquake heaven. Hurricanes and earthquakes get everything around them, and with an earthquake, if it doesn't bring your down, the tumbling things around it might get yours. With a tornado, it might take your house, but leave your neighbor's untouched. Better odds with the tornado, IMO, but I hate all of them.

·
Registered
5,969 Posts

I am very familiar with them as a matter of fact. Grew up if the bay area where they were common. I went to Los Angeles several days after the Northridge earthquake of 1994 and worked with FEMA for several months doing damage inspections. It was common to have many 5 to 5.5 aftershock quakes every day after the main quake hit. At first I would get a little flustered but after a week of it it became ho-hum. Many of the local residents slept in their yards for months afterwards because they were afraid of another big one to hit. These little "fracking quakes" are nothing but that so far!:laugh:

·
Registered
747 Posts
Interesting that you had one in Oklahoma, BC coast near Victoria had one the next day, Dec29 around 11:30pm, about a 4.4. I didn't notice anything here in Alberta but have friends and relatives say they felt/noticed something about that time.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts