Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have one of those Earthway seeders. It does a pretty decent job and saves my back which was the real reason for the purchase. Have had it for around 30 years, so guess it doesn't owe us anything.

The problem is it plants the beets way too heavy. Too much thinning and, I think, a waste of seed. We like beet greens. Eat lots and give lots away. Have been considering taping over half the holes in the seed plate used for beets. Or a similar modification. Has anyone tried anything like that.

TIA for any words of wisdom. I had contacted Earthway about this a few weeks ago, but have yet to hear anything.

·
Registered
3,687 Posts
The Earthway manual suggests exactly what you described, get some fast drying epoxy, and mod away.

They even sell blank plates, so you can start from scratch,,, but, your beets simply need a little glue,,, :bigthumb:

I guess with the blank plates, you heat and form the seed shape and spacing that suits you,,,:dunno:

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have one I plant silver queen and my peas with. Yes I taped up some holes in the plate. It helped some.
They are a true back saver and do a great job for the most part.
We have masking tape and will give that a go.

The Earthway manual suggests exactly what you described, get some fast drying epoxy, and mod away.

They even sell blank plates, so you can start from scratch,,, but, your beets simply need a little glue,,,
Thanks for that info.

After at least 4 moves, I managed to find the manual for the seeder. The 90 day warranty card was filled out with a purchase date of 5-6-87. I guess I can give that card the old heave ho. The manual only mentions using masking tape. I downloaded the current manual. It mentions tape, beeswax and the blank plate.

Those things have not changed much. Different colored plastic parts is the only difference I can see. My seed plates are white. The black ones will stand up to UV much better.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
1 - 6 of 6 Posts