Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there some sort of battery harness that exists to make it easier to keep a battery tender hooked up? Basically an extension for the terminals which keeps the positive one securely insulated when not in use?

I have to take off the hood and a battery cover on this model, and it's quite bothersome for occasional winter use.

·
Super Moderator
6,933 Posts
If you use something like the BatteryTender Jr., it has rings that attach the leads to the battery terminals and the cord has a connector in it. So you can attach it to the battery permanently and disconnect at the connector. You can run the connector to someplace easy to access so you don't have to mess with the hood.

Of course, you could put the same sort of connectors on the cable for any other battery tender if you're marginally handy with such things.

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
Lots of ways to add a battery tender. From make your own to premade.

I have a Noco setup that installs in the dash. Pretty sure they have a wire setup so you can just dangle a wire with a plug from under the hood.

A permanent battery tender wire should have a fuse as close to the battery as possible on the positive lead for fire and safety reasons.

Automotive tire Hood Wheel Motor vehicle Vehicle

Reactions: driveshaft

·
Registered
850 Posts
Great timing on this thread.

Yesterday bought another battery maintainer. A high frequency automated Viking from Harbor Freight. It came with a ring adapter as mentioned above. After seeing how difficult it was using the alligator clips, I took the hood off and did it right. Started by removing the bolt from the clamp, and ran through the ring on both terminals. The positive was fished through the boot. Zip tied to the the negative cable and ran down for the plug next to the wiring harness where the lights plug in when removing the hood.

BTW, this is a new battery. The tender automatically set to 12 volt and had AGM, lead acid and Winter mode. (also 6 volt too). Has a detector for it hooked up wrong. The instructions didn't define what "winter" mode was? Anyway, when hooked up it tells the voltage and then when plugged into 120volt it starts charging but ramps up and down for an hour at varying rates until full charge is reached and then goes green into maintenance mode.

So far it seems like a good charge but time will tell. With the cost of batteries one wants to take a little better care.

4 Amp Fully Automatic Microprocessor Controlled Battery Charger/Maintainer

·
Registered
107 Posts
We use a 3 amp Battery Tender (Deltran) purchased from Costco a few years ago for our JD2210. They now have a new 4.5 amp "SuperSmart" version but this one works great. We're using it on the 2025R now and keep the ring terminal accessory cable installed on the battery to make it easier to hook up. I had to step back from the new tractor the first time I installed it! After my hands suffered through the very small sharks mouth that is the battery area and doing the final tightening, I accidently broke off the positive ring attached to the battery... :oops: >>> :mad: Ordered a replacement cable from Amazon and went through the whole process again. Some lessons were learned about working in the battery area and removing nuts from terminals.
Tire Wheel Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive tire
Plant Automotive tire Motor vehicle Grass Engineering
Arm Human body Gesture Finger Wrist

Tire Wheel Green Motor vehicle Vehicle
Hood Tire Motor vehicle Wheel Automotive tire

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks everyone! That ring terminal is exactly what I need.

I have the Battery Tender Jr, which (at least the new one) supposedly comes with it so perhaps I tucked it away in a junk drawer years ago. Worst case it seems the replacement is $12 so that's just fine.
It even has the built-in fuse already.

·
Premium Member
17,084 Posts
I leave mine connected to the battery and disconnect at a disconnect (pull apart). On the tractor, you could run the disconnect, pull-apart outside the hood.
That's exactly what I do on all my tractors. I attach the rings to the battery terminals and just leave a pigtail sticking out onto which I connect the tender. I just disconnect at the quick-connect terminals before using the tractors.

Camera accessory Microphone Audio equipment Electronic device Font

·
Registered
107 Posts
Thanks everyone! That ring terminal is exactly what I need.

I have the Battery Tender Jr, which (at least the new one) supposedly comes with it so perhaps I tucked it away in a junk drawer years ago. Worst case it seems the replacement is $12 so that's just fine.
It even has the built-in fuse already.
FYI Amazon has them for $8.77 currently. You can also get 12' and 25' cables that go to the charger if you need some extra length. Heck, you can even get a USB adaptor that plugs into the end connected to the battery so you can charge or run devices.

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
We use a 3 amp Battery Tender (Deltran) purchased from Costco a few years ago for our JD2210. They now have a new 4.5 amp "SuperSmart" version but this one works great. We're using it on the 2025R now and keep the ring terminal accessory cable installed on the battery to make it easier to hook up. I had to step back from the new tractor the first time I installed it! After my hands suffered through the very small sharks mouth that is the battery area and doing the final tightening, I accidently broke off the positive ring attached to the battery... :oops: >>> :mad: Ordered a replacement cable from Amazon and went through the whole process again. Some lessons were learned about working in the battery area and removing nuts from terminals.
View attachment 819855 View attachment 819864 View attachment 819865
View attachment 819856 View attachment 819857
Looks like your knuckles encountered the cheese grater textured oil cooler 🧀. Temporarily tape a piece of cardboard over it next time you need to put your hands in there.

·
Registered
850 Posts
@TFM3124 It might be a bunch easier to just take the front grill off?

·
Registered
107 Posts
Looks like your knuckles encountered the cheese grater textured oil cooler 🧀. Temporarily tape a piece of cardboard over it next time you need to put your hands in there.
Noted on the cardboard... "very small sharks mouth" was hyperbole, "radiator grater" making thin slices of prosciutto is more accurate :whistle: and let's not forget the 4 spikes of retribution coming off the headlights in the center :rolleyes:

·
Registered
107 Posts

·
Super Moderator
3,977 Posts
I'm sure your 2021 2025 grille is much like my 2014 1025 grille. It comes off, but it ain't easy, and you're sticking your hands into the same areas to get it off. Just stick with the cardboard and dealing with the headlights.

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
I'm sure your 2021 2025 grille is much like my 2014 1025 grille. It comes off, but it ain't easy, and you're sticking your hands into the same areas to get it off. Just stick with the cardboard and dealing with the headlights.
And grab a battery removal strap. Spent $6 for one after I had to pull the battery out of my 2 day old tractor and rewrote the book of profanity in the process.

Reactions: kylew

·
Registered
107 Posts
And grab a battery removal strap. Spent $6 for one after I had to pull the battery out of my 2 day old tractor and rewrote the book of profanity in the process.
What is this battery removal strap you speak of? :unsure:

·
Super Moderator
3,977 Posts
Bicycle part Rim Font Auto part Technology

For top post batteries. Available at many auto parts stores, Amazon, Wally World, etc.

Reactions: Rule292

·
Premium Member
17,084 Posts
View attachment 819965

For top post batteries. Available at many auto parts stores, Amazon, Wally World, etc.
I have one of those that must be 40 years old. When I carry a battery into an auto parts store I always comment about my old strap and mention that someday I want to get one of the good metal ones. They always give me weird looks.

If you need a carrying strap for garden tractor style batteries with the eyelet posts, get yourself a 12-inch one of these. Works perfectly. :)

Font Wire stripper Metal Bicycle part Fashion accessory

·
Registered
107 Posts

·
Super Moderator
3,977 Posts
The ends of the strap just push down over the terminals. Pulling up forces the pieces to clamp onto the terminal, and as long as there's upward force, the clamps will hold. Makes pulling the battery out much easier. Since the terminals aren't in the middle of the battery, the battery will tip a little, but with the small JD battery it's not that bad. As J mentioned he has one about 40 yrs old...I learned from my dad about these about 40 yrs ago. We didn't have tractors but worked on cars/trucks and used them on the Fords. When those larger & heavier batteries tip is when you had to maneuver the battery some as you lifted, but it was still a lot easier than not having the strap.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.