Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was in the market for a new E130, and then found out it had a new feature called the "Easy Change™ 30-Second Oil Change System". Therefore I am not going to buy it, and I would like to share my reasons.

First, the oversized cartridge which contains both the oil filter and about .75 qt of oil costs between $39.95 (Home Depot) and $49.95, depending on where you buy it. This is insanity. I can do a FULL oil change with filter on my L110 for less than $20, so this "feature" doubles the cost.

Second, the oversized cartridge only contains 0.75 quart of oil. So, I am guessing that this is about half the oil actually in the engine. Why is it a "feature" to "change the oil" and leave half the dirty oil still in the engine? This will clearly shorten the life of the engine, but my guess is that JD doesn't care because it will still make it through the warranty period.

Third, what happens when JD realizes this "feature" was a dumb idea and either discontinues the filters, or jacks up the price to $100 each ten years from now? I don't like being locked-in to buying such a common item (an oil filter) from the manufacturer only.

Fourth, this "feature" solves a problem that does not exist. Changing the oil on my L110 requires me to twist off a plastic cap on the drain pipe by hand, after which ALL the oil drains out. Putting new oil in is a no-brainer. Changing the filter requires unscrewing it, and is about as difficult as changing a light bulb. So, what problem did they solve, exactly?

I have always been a John Deere customer, but I am not going to buy a machine with a proprietary oil filter that is over priced and nobody else makes. Husqvarna makes some pretty good riding mowers, and JD's introduction of this ill-advised "feature" has lost them a customer.

·
Registered
4,433 Posts
There was a lot of discussion on the points you made (all good ones, btw) when the system was announced. It was brought to light that there is in fact a retrofit kit available to convert it back to the 'normal' means of oil changing.

So just because there is a new system on these doesn't really make it a deal breaker. Personally, i would look up that kit and then re-make your decision.:greentractorride:

·
Premium Member
12,288 Posts
As the previous poster mentioned, there is a kit to switch back to a standard oil filter. It's about $10 worth of parts. Very simple to install.

·
Premium Member
12,288 Posts
How often does Deere recommend you change this high dollar filter?

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk
[h=4]Yearly or Every 50 Hours (Whichever Comes First)[/h]

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
If that model mower hits all your other buttons aside from the silly Easy change, then don’t let the system stop you. The changeover kits are super simple and easy to install and are very inexpensive-after installation the oil change is the standard one you are used to using the same oil and filter you always have.

If I were in the market for this class and size of machine I would buy it and the retrofit kit and not think twice about the Easy change garbage.

·
Premium Member
12,288 Posts
If that model mower hits all your other buttons aside from the silly Easy change, then don’t let the system stop you. The changeover kits are super simple and easy to install and are very inexpensive-after installation the oil change is the standard one you are used to using the same oil and filter you always have.

If I were in the market for this class and size of machine I would buy it and the retrofit kit and not think twice about the Easy change garbage.
Exactly! Folks swap seats and tires all the time on new machines because they don't like what it came with from the factory.

The JD bulletin for the change back to a normal filter is attached. It's like $10 worth of parts plus a filter.

View attachment Easy-Change-Oil-Filter-System-Conversion.pdf

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
I agree with everyone else here, with one minor addition.

If I had decided I wanted a particular machine that had this system, Id have the dealer do the work to change it over and pay for the kit in the negotiation on pricing.
I certainly wouldnt let that stop me from buying something I wanted otherwise.

·
Registered
700 Posts
The problem is the OP is even considering the E series.

Give your head a shake. You can get a premium Cub Cadet or Husky for the price of that E junk, if you're going to be shopping economy tractors anyways.

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
The problem is the OP is even considering the E series.

Give your head a shake. You can get a premium Cub Cadet or Husky for the price of that E junk, if you're going to be shopping economy tractors anyways.
That’s a little harsh... other than that asinine oil change system, do you have personal experience that they’re inferior to a Husky or Cub Cadet of the same price?

·
Registered
700 Posts
That’s a little harsh... other than that asinine oil change system, do you have personal experience that they’re inferior to a Husky or Cub Cadet of the same price?

There are rampant reports of self-destructing/leaking transmissions with only a few dozen hours. Now, I wouldn't care it it were JD green and it were priced competitively with MTD's, but the E series is most assuredly not "value", unless you are one of those people that "need" the 30 second engine oil change system (at which point, you should think about contracting out your mowing). JD corporate is soaking up a bunch of people with their green paint on the E series, I suspect there's going to be serious lawsuits in about ten more years. That sort of rampant failure is simply inexcusable for the premium it commands against its peers, and disturbingly, parts supply after ten years I was told by my dealer will be very poor.

Think about it. The next step up to pick up a 54" deck is an X390. A $5k machine, barebones, compared to the $2k E180. What, you think JD corporate just decided to be super-generous and take a loss on each and every E machine, and keep the X390's for those with too much money and ways to spend it? :mocking::gizmo::gizmo::gizmo:

It's not harsh, it's the truth. While most of us are well versed on the premium the green paint commands, we do it for future parts support, resale value, durability etc. None of this will exist with E series machines. You may as well paint it black, and put a Craftsman badge on there.

·
Premium Member
12,288 Posts
There are rampant reports of self-destructing/leaking transmissions with only a few dozen hours. Now, I wouldn't care it it were JD green and it were priced competitively with MTD's, but the E series is most assuredly not "value", unless you are one of those people that "need" the 30 second engine oil change system (at which point, you should think about contracting out your mowing). JD corporate is soaking up a bunch of people with their green paint on the E series, I suspect there's going to be serious lawsuits in about ten more years. That sort of rampant failure is simply inexcusable for the premium it commands against its peers, and disturbingly, parts supply after ten years I was told by my dealer will be very poor.
At least it's not as bad as the Briggs and Stratton "Check & Add" system used on a lot of their new engines.

JD is clearly targeting folks who would otherwise never change their engine oil.

·
Registered
1,846 Posts

Think about it. The next step up to pick up a 54" deck is an X390. A $5k machine, barebones, compared to the $2k E180. What, you think JD corporate just decided to be super-generous and take a loss on each and every E machine, and keep the X390's for those with too much money and ways to spend it? :mocking::gizmo::gizmo::gizmo:

It's not harsh, it's the truth. While most of us are well versed on the premium the green paint commands, we do it for future parts support, resale value, durability etc. None of this will exist with E series machines. You may as well paint it black, and put a Craftsman badge on there.
Yours is the first Ive heard about rampant failures. Is Deere doing nothing about these?
Well, dont answer, no need getting this thread further derailed, Im sure I can find the many threads on here if I go look and read up on whats happening to all these owners.
What I see with the E series is exactly whats intended. Sold to a price point to compete with other brands, and they do. Your opinion is not the same, obviously.
Who is telling you that parts wont exist for the E series? I can still look up parts for the old 165 hydro, and quite a few tractors more than 30 years old. I bought parts this year for a 32 year old garden tractor. You think Deere isnt going to have parts available in just a few years? Someone is telling you what you want to hear, not facts.
Deere has a LONG history of offering parts for machines much longer than most others, even unpopular models.
Saying they dont compete due to failures of transaxles or something else is an interesting take too, since several of these brands use the SAME transaxles from the same manufacturers.
If its a transaxle issue, then we should not only avoid the E series with that transaxle, but all brands with it. If we arent going to avoid the others, its not a valid argument.
And if its not a valid argument, what does it add to the conversation about these little mowers?

The X3xx series starts much lower than $5k. No need to spend that to get a 3 series. They start under $2500.
"premium Cub Cadet"...is that a joke? Cub Cadet actually IS MTD. So, I can get a "Premium" MTD for $2000? Yeah, sounds like a smoking good idea when said that way doesnt it?
Who is going to work on it? Husqvarna may be a similar option, but again, have to find someone to work on it, and they all use the same engines and transaxles. If its an engine problem or transaxle problem, avoid all the similarly equipped models from everyone else too, right?

·
Premium Member
12,288 Posts
Who is going to work on it? Husqvarna may be a similar option, but again, have to find someone to work on it, and they all use the same engines and transaxles. If its an engine problem or transaxle problem, avoid all the similarly equipped models from everyone else too, right?
That's for sure. The engine and transaxles are the same used everywhere so no issues there. Other than some sheet metal or plastic bits there isn't much that is JD specific on these machines. As for parts availability, keep in mind that these tractors are sold to the masses so there are a bazillion of them out there. That also means that 3rd party parts places like Oregon and Stens will have all the belts, pulleys, spindles, etc.

Should they be compared to the X-series? No. As stated before, they are built to meet a specific price point. I know quite a few folks with the older L and D-series who have been very satisfied and getting good service from them (helped by performing the scheduled maintenance).

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
At least it's not as bad as the Briggs and Stratton "Check & Add" system used on a lot of their new engines.

JD is clearly targeting folks who would otherwise never change their engine oil.
Ha, you aren’t kidding. I follow B&S on Facebook, every time they post about their “check and add” oil, they get a verbal beating by all us backyard mechanics that would change the oil in a vacuum cleaner if we were able to. :lol:

·
Registered
700 Posts
That's for sure. The engine and transaxles are the same used everywhere so no issues there. Other than some sheet metal or plastic bits there isn't much that is JD specific on these machines. As for parts availability, keep in mind that these tractors are sold to the masses so there are a bazillion of them out there. That also means that 3rd party parts places like Oregon and Stens will have all the belts, pulleys, spindles, etc.

Should they be compared to the X-series? No. As stated before, they are built to meet a specific price point. I know quite a few folks with the older L and D-series who have been very satisfied and getting good service from them (helped by performing the scheduled maintenance).

The price point it commands is definitely a premium over its peers, I priced it out having specific thoughts about abandoning mowing with the 2520 (going back and forth from the mower to the backhoe is a PITA).

Again, the old L and D series were mountains above this E series garbage. Save yourself some aggravation and cash and just go pick up an MTD if all you can afford is an E. As you mentioned, it's likely almost the same "guts" inside. My neighbour has an older L series that he bought from Home Cheapo (he used to work there ages ago), and he was thinking about buying one of the new E's for a slightly bigger deck. Being a machinist, he brought a micrometer, and he was absolutely shocked at how some of this sheet metal didn't fold when a 300lbs "test rider" sat on it.

As far as I'm concerned, the S is where the series should start, at the E price-point. Deere isn't the only one liable to this corporate gutting of quality though, everyone is doing it, including Kubota.

·
Premium Member
1,805 Posts
Sorry John Deere has already done that Craftsman Model Number 750256060 is Built On a John Deere Sabre/STX frame:bigthumb:

·
Premium Member
1,805 Posts
The price point it commands is definitely a premium over its peers, I priced it out having specific thoughts about abandoning mowing with the 2520 (going back and forth from the mower to the backhoe is a PITA).

Again, the old L and D series were mountains above this E series garbage. Save yourself some aggravation and cash and just go pick up an MTD if all you can afford is an E. As you mentioned, it's likely almost the same "guts" inside. My neighbour has an older L series that he bought from Home Cheapo (he used to work there ages ago), and he was thinking about buying one of the new E's for a slightly bigger deck. Being a machinist, he brought a micrometer, and he was absolutely shocked at how some of this sheet metal didn't fold when a 300lbs "test rider" sat on it.

As far as I'm concerned, the S is where the series should start, at the E price-point. Deere isn't the only one liable to this corporate gutting of quality though, everyone is doing it, including Kubota.
Starting in Late 2004/ early 2005 John Deere dropped the K46 from the L series except the top two Model L108 was the first Tractor to Get a T40 Transmission(the TL-200 is basically still a T40 Transmission Just a different Model Name) L. D and E series are all built On the exact same frame except for Hood changes and Lever Locations and Maybe a few More engine HP there the same tractor The S series is also Built On the exact same frame as the L, D & E series tractors only difference is Deere uses a K46 and Puts a Kawasaki engine In it.

The G100 was Built On the GT275 frame & the G110 was Built On the L series frame with reinforcement Near Transmission , The L190C was basically a G110 with a K62 Instead of a K66 which was in both the G100 and G110

Now something You should know Prior to the L series Line Deere Broke even each year On there Outdoor Power equipment line since it's Introduction. Once the L series was Introduced They Made record Profits which they had never seen Before In the Outdoor Power equipment line.

Yes they are Price Point Models But that is what they are intended to be. There Not Gutting anything. They still have the Premium lines. But Deere saw the writing on the wall if they want to compete Deere needed to get into the Box store Lines

There first venture into it was the Sabre Lawn tractor which was based on the STX Lawn tractor and they were sold In 3 Places at first Dealer, Montgomery Wards & Sears BTW Kubota was also sold at Sears In the early 1990's at the Same time the Sabre was being Produced Deere Produced a Tractor for Sears Based On the STX. The Model I mention above It was In Polo Green Not Black. Original the sabre Line was going to be called Deere-lite Because early 1990's Deere Bought Home-lite That is How they Got Into Having two Non Union Plants 1 Plant In Tennessee where the L thru E series and s200 series are Made Home Depot saw How the Sabre was selling well They Proposed Deere Make the Scott's Line for them and That really took off for Home Depot and Deere.

Deere decided for the Next century They would Introduce there own Name Line to be sold In the Box stores and so Far it has Payed off for Deere since 2003

If People would treat them for what they are designed to do which is Mow the Grass and do snow removal on a smaller scale. Bet You wouldn't Have heard of Many Problems with the Machines. But when someone Put's a aftermarket sleeve Hitch on them and turns over the Back 40 of coarse You going to have Problems with them

The Oil change Idea was Thought of the fact that most of there customers don't like to do the simple Maintenance On there Machines

Keep In Mind Forums Like these only represent a small Portion of there actual customer base regardless of the John Deere Line weathers it a E100 series or a 9000 series scraper.

E100 series is a fine entry Level Lawn tractor for what it is designed to do :bigthumb:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts