Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
2,276 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I seldom use Ebay anymore unless it's something I just can't find elsewhere, and such was the case the other night. But when I clicked on "Buy Now" and went to pay, was informed that this seller no longer accepts PayPal. Never ran into this before so I just canceled the buy. One of the few reasons I still like Ebay is the ease of using PayPal, without having to give my CC info to anyone else.

Since Ebay originally owned PayPal it seemed like even after they split into separate companies that Ebay still highly recommended if not required that sellers accept PayPal. This got me wondering so I went searching on the web to see what was going on. In case I'm not the last person in the world to hear about this, here is a link explaining what is happening.

Ebay Cutting Off PayPal

·
Premium Member
10,732 Posts
Nope... hadn't heard anything about it. I have used PayPal occasionally for buying and selling.

The article is a bit confusing. Especially this statement:

"After the existing eBay-PayPal agreement ends in 2020, PayPal will remain a payment option for shoppers on eBay, but it won’t be prominently featured ahead of debit and credit card options as it is today. PayPal will cease to process card payments for eBay at that time."

Soooo... in one sentence they say PayPal will remain a payment option for shoppers but then go on to say PayPal will cease to process card payments for Ebay? Huh?

·
Registered
715 Posts
Nope... hadn't heard anything about it. I have used PayPal occasionally for buying and selling.

The article is a bit confusing. Especially this statement:

"After the existing eBay-PayPal agreement ends in 2020, PayPal will remain a payment option for shoppers on eBay, but it won’t be prominently featured ahead of debit and credit card options as it is today. PayPal will cease to process card payments for eBay at that time."

Soooo... in one sentence they say PayPal will remain a payment option for shoppers but then go on to say PayPal will cease to process card payments for Ebay? Huh?

PayPal currently provides two ways to pay: an "e-check" that is an ACH transfer from a bank account (or a PayPal balance) to a sellers PayPal account or to use a credit card on file with PayPal to accomplish the same thing. That statement probably refers to the latter option.

I use eBay and Amazon a lot, partly because of the convenience of a few clicks and done. No running downstairs to get my wallet and repeatedly enter all the information, especially since my billing and shipping addresses are almost always different (no home delivery of mail in our town - only PO boxes). Once nice thing about a small town is that you can address a letter to me @ Caroga Lake NY and it will end up in my PO box. In fact, a lot of eBay sellers will not ship to PO boxes even though they are using USPS or Surepost to ship. I just give my street address and it ends up delivered to my PO box anyway.

PayPal's processing fees are high IMO (this affects the seller directly; me indirectly) but they do provide an effective protection against fraud. Beyond the enhancement of profit, this was one of the reasons why eBay insisted that sellers accept PayPal. The buyer could opt out and take the risk by paying directly, but PayPal had to be one of the payment options.

Al

·
Registered
248 Posts
First I've heard of this too.

I expect the majority of customers will move on to a seller that still accepts paypal as you did. I like the one click checkout and use paypal at ebay, walmart. home depot, and any other merchant that offers it.

The sellers have the paypal fee built in to their price. I doubt many of them will want to suffer the loss in sales to make a move to something different.

·
Premium Member
798 Posts
Merchants (Ebay) rarely directly process payments with the credit card companies (I'm not aware of any that do, but there might be some) and instead rely on 3rd parties (payment processors) to actually handle the payment transaction.

PayPal provided 2 main services to Ebay. Direct payments through PayPal using your PayPal account. And credit card processing for payments that were not facilitated through your PayPal account. So if a customer chose to use a credit card instead of a PayPal account, PayPal was still involved as the backend payment processor between Ebay and the credit card companies. Make sense now?

·
Super Moderator
4,850 Posts
Merchants (Ebay) rarely directly process payments with the credit card companies (I'm not aware of any that do, but there might be some) and instead rely on 3rd parties (payment processors) to actually handle the payment transaction.

PayPal provided 2 main services to Ebay. Direct payments through PayPal using your PayPal account. And credit card processing for payments that were not facilitated through your PayPal account. So if a customer chose to use a credit card instead of a PayPal account, PayPal was still involved as the backend payment processor between Ebay and the credit card companies. Make sense now?
I do believe that this right here is the correct answer. It's all about who FleaBay uses as their credit card processor and that won't be PayPal in the future

·
Premium Member
798 Posts
I do believe that this right here is the correct answer. It's all about who FleaBay uses as their credit card processor and that won't be PayPal in the future
I'd give it a 99.99% chance of being accurate. :mocking:

·
Premium Member
10,732 Posts

I'm not sure - I'm probably still confused. :) So are you saying that for folks like me that have a credit card and bank account linked to PayPal for the purpose of buying and selling that nothing will change?

·
Registered
111 Posts
I seldom use Ebay anymore unless it's something I just can't find elsewhere, and such was the case the other night. But when I clicked on "Buy Now" and went to pay, was informed that this seller no longer accepts PayPal. Never ran into this before so I just canceled the buy. One of the few reasons I still like Ebay is the ease of using PayPal, without having to give my CC info to anyone else.

Since Ebay originally owned PayPal it seemed like even after they split into separate companies that Ebay still highly recommended if not required that sellers accept PayPal. This got me wondering so I went searching on the web to see what was going on. In case I'm not the last person in the world to hear about this, here is a link explaining what is happening.

Ebay Cutting Off PayPal
Watching a program last night and can't remember just which one but think it was Tucker Carlson on Fox and it seems PayPal is owned by an big donor to the Democrat Party and despises Donald Trump. There was quite a discussion over this man. Maybe some of you saw the program and can tell more about the deal and the man himself. Would be nice to know the details. I thought at the time about how many people would no longer use PayPal.

Anyone know anything?

·
Administrator
20,310 Posts
Watching a program last night and can't remember just which one but think it was Tucker Carlson on Fox and it seems PayPal is owned by an big donor to the Democrat Party and despises Donald Trump. There was quite a discussion over this man. Maybe some of you saw the program and can tell more about the deal and the man himself. Would be nice to know the details. I thought at the time about how many people would no longer use PayPal.

Anyone know anything?
Let's please not go political here. It's ok to discuss who's who and what not, but let's no go into political views and opinions. We have a dedicated forum for that. :good2:

Carry on especially if we can provide links (to credible sites) but know that this can easily get pushed into a different theme and therefore into the politics forum. :thumbup1gif:

·
Super Moderator
4,850 Posts
I'm not sure - I'm probably still confused. :) So are you saying that for folks like me that have a credit card and bank account linked to PayPal for the purpose of buying and selling that nothing will change?
That is correct. If you're credit card info is coming from your PayPal account you should see no change.

·
Super Moderator
5,464 Posts
I also think whatever you have linked to PayPal will stay valid. I wish Amazon would start accepting PayPal.

·
Premium Member
798 Posts
To my knowledge there will be no change in your relationship with PayPal. They have been a separate company from Ebay for several years.

That is correct. If you're credit card info is coming from your PayPal account you should see no change.
Yep. :cowboy:

I also think whatever you have linked to PayPal will stay valid. I wish Amazon would start accepting PayPal.
I'm not sure that Ebay will maintain the linkage between your Ebay account and your PayPal account, there is no public commentary on this topic that I could find. Personally I think they'd be silly to unlink the accounts but I also thought they were silly for spinning PayPal off as a separate business.

·
Registered
2,338 Posts
To my knowledge there will be no change in your relationship with PayPal. They have been a separate company from Ebay for several years.

Yep. :cowboy:

I'm not sure that Ebay will maintain the linkage between your Ebay account and your PayPal account, there is no public commentary on this topic that I could find. Personally I think they'd be silly to unlink the accounts but I also thought they were silly for spinning PayPal off as a separate business.
Firstly, eBay did not "originally own PayPal." eBay acquired PayPal at some point, and then spun them back off.

Secondly, there will be changes between eBay and PayPal as to the effect of what has been mentioned... eBay will still "accept" PayPal after 2020 as a payment option, but you will only be able to pay via PayPal using a PayPal Cash or Cash Plus account - no more charging the purchase to your credit card via PayPal.

Thirdly, your relationship with PayPal is changing. They are "blaming" the Federal Government for passing laws that require the changes, and I can't comment (and won't try) on how much truth this holds. At the end of the day, your PayPal account will only be able to be linked to a credit card or one of their cash account options. You will need to create a cash or cash plus account, link that to your PayPal account (think of it as a master account), and then link it to your bank. In the end, the net effect to you is mostly the same. The one difference is that you will not have the option to dispute a purchase via your credit card company if you have a problem with the eBay seller and PayPal finds in the seller's favor (because you will have paid in "cash"). Honestly, I think this might be a really good thing because a LOT of people have stopped selling on eBay because shady users dispute everything... and win... all the time. Sellers are left without their item, having paid shipping fees to send it, and they have no revenue from it.

·
Premium Member
7,460 Posts
I remember when PayPal used to not charge the receiver if a credit card was not used. They constantly wanted me to "upgrade" my account to accept credit card payments. Then ebay forced sellers to have a PayPal account to sell. Then I was forced to "upgrade". I thought I would only pay their fees if a credit card was used. WRONG once I upgraded my account, I had to pay for every incoming transaction. :nunu::nunu::nunu:

·
Premium Member
10,732 Posts
I remember when PayPal used to not charge the receiver if a credit card was not used. They constantly wanted me to "upgrade" my account to accept credit card payments. Then ebay forced sellers to have a PayPal account to sell. Then I was forced to "upgrade". I thought I would only pay their fees if a credit card was used. WRONG once I upgraded my account, I had to pay for every incoming transaction. :nunu::nunu::nunu:
The only time I ever saw when they didn't charge a fee was if a buyer used a credit balance sitting in their PayPal account to make a purchase. That's been a while now so that too may have changed.

PayPal, like everything else these days, sees fit to make big changes just as using their service becomes effortless and convenient.

·
Premium Member
7,460 Posts
The only time I ever saw when they didn't charge a fee was if a buyer used a credit balance sitting in their PayPal account to make a purchase. That's been a while now so that too may have changed.

PayPal, like everything else these days, sees fit to make big changes just as using their service becomes effortless and convenient.
That was what it was, no fee if sender had a balance. IIRC one credit card transaction per month was also permitted. They CONSTANTLY emailed me to upgrade so I could accept credit cards, at 3%, so they said. When I upgraded, they charged for EVERY transaction. This was late 90s or early 00s. Then ebay bought PayPal and forced seller to accept it for payment. An additional cost of selling on ebay. Shipping, ebay fees, and PayPal fees made selling small items on ebay a lost cause for me.

More of my stuff goes to GoodWill or the landfill now. I don't sell on CL, I don't want the thieves and scammers coming to my place.

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
I sell occasionally on Ebay and buy regularly. From a seller's perspective, the payment processing fees were the same whether it was PayPal or a credit card. I have a few credit cards linked to my Ebay account, so it is no more difficult to utilize them verses PayPal.

On one occasion, I had the very issue meburdick referred to: The purchaser disputed the sale to Ebay/PayPal (one in the same then) and it was decided in my favor. He then went to his credit card company and it was charged back. I was thinking that may just be the case with the card companies favoring the cardholder, but we utilize a credit card authorization in lieu of a cash deposit on our vacation rentals. I had one guest that did nearly $3000.00 worth of damage last summer. I charged his card, he disputed it, I prevailed---though the credit card company took 90 days to do so (more time using someone else's money).

My issue as a small volume seller with Ebay is there fees---pretty much 10% off the top.

My new issue as a buyer is sales tax. Ebay purchases often represented the best value as sales tax only applied to MN seller transcation. With the Supreme Court decision last summer, Ebay is now collecting MN sales tax (8% here) on out of state, low volume seller volumes to MN. For example, when I was reconciling my one of my credit card statements the other day, there was a number of charges from Ebay that totaled up to about $25.00. I was trying to figure out what they were for and finally realized it was sales tax. There was a seller in NJ I had made two separate purchases of internal blu-ray disc drives (thanks to meburdick getting me on to moving all blu-rays/dvds to a media server). Even though the seller didn't do enough business in MN to be impacted by last summer's decision, MN Revenue considers the seller to be Ebay and they, of course, do.

The MN state slogan is "Land of 10,000 Lakes". For those of us that reside here, it is the "Land of 10,000 Taxes". That 8% adds up quickly.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Let's please not go political here. It's ok to discuss who's who and what not, but let's no go into political views and opinions. We have a dedicated forum for that. :good2:

Carry on especially if we can provide links (to credible sites) but know that this can easily get pushed into a different theme and therefore into the politics forum. :thumbup1gif:
Sorry I had no intentions of offending anyone here. I just simply ask a question or made a statement, Could this have anything to do with the split? But, I will just stay out of the discussion since I simply don't want any hurt feelings.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts