Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
903 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Gentlemen, you get what you pay for here. In my infinite wisdom of trying to save a buck, I (reluctantly) ordered a PTO belt for my 797, off of EBAY. Well, it had a very attractive price of $22.
I installed it today. I commenced to cutting my lawn today. 1/4 of the way into that act, the belt snapped/broke/frayed/failed etc. etc. etc. Straight up garbage!:banghead::laugh:
I e-mailed the seller, requesting a full refund. Even unreinforced, it should last a good bit longer than 30min.

Pics.
Two ends on the right are JD OEM reinforced, one on the left is EBAY special (branded; 8TEN)

Any recommendations besides the $62 OEM belt? (found one for $53, ordered it, grass is getting long!)
John Deere Original Equipment V-Belt #TCU16495 848756045469 | eBay

EDIT OEM belt for 777 and 797, is part# TCU16495

Attachments

·
Administrator
20,987 Posts
Any recommendations beyond the factory JD belts? Nope....

JD has always had the best belts. Their criteria and high standards also mean you get the most durable belts available. In some cases you can’t get the correct belt/sheave angles with aftermarket belts.

IMHO, you won’t ever save any money buying anything but JD belts for JD equipment.

·
Registered
4,886 Posts
ah you set belt tension too tights, no refun for you! ah you set belt tension too loosy, no refun for you!:lol:

Looks like 8Ten means 8 to 10 minutes of life, that one lasted 3 times that.:banghead:

Nothing works better on a JD than a JD belt. Proven once again.

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
Just me, but if the PTO belt takes anything more than 1 hour to change start to finish, I'd just buy the OEM belt. I break things down into how much B.S. and redoing of a job do I want to deal with.

Suggestion: see if your dealers offers a different belt manufacturer...

"You can pay with time or you can pay with money, you're going to pay with something."

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
23,318 Posts
I hate the price of the Deere belts but that is all I will buy. I think I’ve actually only had to buy 1 in my lifetime and that was for a 332 that I was refurbishing and put a new belt on it but really didn’t have to.

You do get what you pay for with Deere belts.

The only belt drive I have now is my 62D deck. I would normally have a spare hanging on the shelf but can’t bring myself to do it at $95. If I need one I can get one in a couple days. I’m not mowing commercially any more so it’s not a big deal.

·
Registered
903 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ah you set belt tension too tights, no refun for you! ah you set belt tension too loosy, no refun for you!:lol:

Looks like 8Ten means 8 to 10 minutes of life, that one lasted 3 times that.:banghead:

Nothing works better on a JD than a JD belt. Proven once again.
LMFAO!
Atleast in my defense, all belt tension is done by spring loaded pulleys.

I like that though, 8TEN, is purely the life expectancy of their belt. LMAO!! I got triple the life out of it, whats the problem?!?!

·
Registered
903 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just me, but if the PTO belt takes anything more than 1 hour to change start to finish, I'd just buy the OEM belt. I break things down into how much B.S. and redoing of a job do I want to deal with.

Suggestion: see if your dealers offers a different belt manufacturer...

"You can pay with time or you can pay with money, you're going to pay with something."

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

PTO Belt only takes about 10min to swap, and that includes getting tools out, and jacking the ass end up.

Lesson learned though. OEM JD belts it is from now on. I bought this machine used with 990hrs on it. I'm up to almost 1200rs now. I have no idea how long the OEM belt was on there before I got it.

·
Administrator
20,987 Posts
That was probably the original belt.

·
Registered
2,981 Posts
Never a bad idea with a well used machine to replace the tension springs along with the new belt. They aren't that expensive and should help derive best lifespan of the new belt.
What about the pulleys? Still have good profile?

·
Registered
739 Posts
On my old Gravely ZTR I used Gates replacement belts - they are top shelf quality. I just did a major service on it getting ready to sell and unfortunately I couldn't source all of them from Gates, the long one from the engine shaft to the mower deck is some brand I've never heard of but at least it's not from eBay - got it on Amazon.

This thread got me to thinking about getting a spare set for my new Z945M - I don't even have a clue how many belts it has. My Gravely has five.

·
Administrator
20,987 Posts
Gates does make excellent belts. I use them on my vehicles. They still wouldn’t be my first recommendation for anything JD though. :good2: Non-JD? You bet. :thumbup1gif:

·
Registered
455 Posts
I wouldn't go heavy on the ebay item belt you bought. First things first... Why did you need to change/remove the belt to install the ebay one? Was it bad, broken, or you just wanted to install the new one? If it broke/was frayed or so, there could be other things wrong, such as the idler. PTO pulley needs replacing. I have a 1999 JD 345 with 54" deck and the first 312 hours...about three years I had to replace 17 PTO belts during that time. It wasn't the belts that I was buying the problem, it was a bad mower deck that John Deere had made some 560 mower decks with the pulley brackets welded about I-1/4" out of place, causing the belts to heat up and fray and snap.

I buy Gates belts and have never bought another JD OEM belt since they found out their problem making the mower deck wrong. I, also have a 2013 JD Z710A with 54" deck with 312 hours and it still has the original belts under it. However, I have bought extra belts (Gates) on hand to replace when needed.

·
Registered
903 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
The OEM belt on it, just broke, which is why I went to replace it. I have no idea about how long it's been on there, like mentioned, it could very well have been the original belt. Nothing looks out of the ordinary, any advice on what too look for? PTO engages and disengages like normal. I will look into some new tension springs, can't hurt to change those out.

Edit, I don't have a operators manual for this machine. What is the proper way to engage the PTO? I usually engage it at about 1/2-3/4 throttle, and then throttle up to 100%, after the deck gets to turning.

Reactions: rtgt and BigJim55

·
Registered
23,318 Posts
The OEM belt on it, just broke, which is why I went to replace it. I have no idea about how long it's been on there, like mentioned, it could very well have been the original belt. Nothing looks out of the ordinary, any advice on what too look for? PTO engages and disengages like normal. I will look into some new tension springs, can't hurt to change those out.

Edit, I don't have a operators manual for this machine. What is the proper way to engage the PTO? I usually engage it at about 1/2-3/4 throttle, and then throttle up to 100%, after the deck gets to turning.
With a gas engine your way of engaging the PTO is the correct way. Any less throttle and the engine will stall. With a diesel it is done at idle but the torque of the diesel will not stall.

Here is the owner’s manual for your machine -

OMTCU20641_L4

·
Registered
658 Posts
A very seasoned lawn mower mechanic once told me that replacement belts tend to fail faster than the original belts, due to the fact the original belts were turning as the pulleys were broken in. I would look at your pulley grooves for and nicks, scuffs or corroded areas that may contribute to the belt failure. In our neck of the country, it is not unusual to get sticks, small rocks and/or other debris on top of the deck that could contribute to abnormal belt wear.

Brian

That was probably the original belt.

·
Registered
739 Posts
What Stan said. My Gravely ZTR owner's manual wants the PTO engaged about half throttle, what I usually do is start engaging from a fast idle and fully engage as I throttle up. My Gravely's PTO is manually operated with a lever though. Pushing a switch to engage the PTO with my Z945M is a real luxury. In 20+ years and 357 hours on the Gravely I think I've broken maybe two or three PTO belts.

Reactions: rtgt

·
Registered
903 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
If you don’t want a JD belt your best option is to hire out the mowing.
Slightly extreme option, but I get the correlation.
Already ordered a JD belt. I will give the pulleys a good looking over, when I go to install the new belt. Thanks for the info. The bit about the original belt lapping in with the pulleys, makes sense to me.

·
Registered
903 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
What Stan said. My Gravely ZTR owner's manual wants the PTO engaged about half throttle, what I usually do is start engaging from a fast idle and fully engage as I throttle up. My Gravely's PTO is manually operated with a lever though. Pushing a switch to engage the PTO with my Z945M is a real luxury. In 20+ years and 357 hours on the Gravely I think I've broken maybe two or three PTO belts.
Big yellow push/pull knob, on this machine.

·
Registered
903 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Got the John Deere belt installed tonight. It appears that the EBAY belt was about a 1/2" shorter than the JD belt. When I installed the EBAY belt, I had to pry it over the tensioner pulley at the rear of the machine. With this new JD belt, I was able to slip the belt over the tensioner pulley, by hand, with minimal effort, the way installation should be. All the pulleys appear to be in good condition, so I can't lean toward them being the culprit. I'm chalking the EBAY belt breakage, up to it being to tight, creating excessive heat, which in turn caused such quick failure. ****ty part about that is, the seller will only replace the belt, with another ****ty belt. :banghead: They will not refund my money because "the product is used", nevermind that it failed.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts