Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
37,404 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been using this unit since around 1962-63.
Can be seen mounted on the wall behind the right gas pump at my father's garage.

Years later we mounted it on my father's garage at home. It stayed there until a few days ago.
I still used it to fill my mother's car/lawn mower tires and to blow things off.

Although it still works,,,sort of. I'm going to rebuild it. As near as I can tell, production of these units began in 1947.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
:munch::munch::munch:

·
Registered
383 Posts
I think that's neat as all get out. Kudos to you. I'd do the same thing.
JFS and Gs I have that same stool. Really cool.

:thumbup1gif:

·
Registered
4,402 Posts
SO SO SO COOL !

But we need MORE PICS PLEASE

I remember using those since I can remember, I'd check and fill my father's car tires whenever I had the chance. Just about every gas station had one.

So what makes it go DING?
IIRC The inflators I remember lets air through in spurts, is that still true?
What does the inside mechanism look like?

·
Premium Member
12,131 Posts
There are quite a few videos about these on YouTube. Just search "ECO tireflator"

·
Premium Member
13,313 Posts
That is very neat, I love older stuff like that. :good2::good2:

Please keep us posted on your progress

:munch::munch:

·
Registered
130 Posts
Those things are crazy expensive! I did a search on eBay and couldn't believe the prices. Good luck & keep us updated.

·
Registered
837 Posts
I love that thing. I remember using one when I was a young kid. That's when things were made to last!

·
Registered
12,288 Posts
:munch::bigthumb:

·
Premium Member
14,712 Posts
:bigthumb::bigthumb::munch:

In my younger days used one, great to see one is still around.

Waiting to see the finished product, should look great.

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
37,404 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
SO SO SO COOL !

But we need MORE PICS PLEASE

I remember using those since I can remember, I'd check and fill my father's car tires whenever I had the chance. Just about every gas station had one.

I will post pictures of the internal mechanism once I get it out.
I will be using this guy to rebuild the mechanism and for parts, ECO Air Meters
From his website...

Understanding the Model 90 Series ECO
BALANCED INFLATION

First of all, the ECO does not produce air, it only meters it. So many people over the years have asked me, where is the compressor.

It operates by air pressure, not by electricity. When you lift the hose from the hook it opens the mechanism allowing the air to circulate. Once the chuck is placed on the valve stem of the tire, a shot of air is sent into the tire. It then stops and reads the pressure of the tire to see if it the same as what the setting is. If it is not the same, another shot of air is sent into the tire. Each time it does this, the bell rings. It works like this: SHOT....READ....SHOT....READ....SHOT.... It will continue to do this until the pressure in the tire is the same as the pressure that was set on the mechanism. This is what the words "BALANCE INFLATION" on the top chrome piece means.

If it does or doesn't do what it is supposed to do, you now need to repair it, my first suggestion is to get a one of my Service Manuals. If you want us to repair it CLICK HERE

I remember using those.

I also like your paper towel holder.
Cheap too. :lol:

Robnik;3052474[COLOR=#ff0000 said:
]I love that thing. I remember using one when I was a young kid. That's when things were made to last!
In my younger days used one, great to see one is still around.
The good looking lad sitting by the gas pump is yours truly. :munch:

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Cheap too. :lol:

The good looking lad sitting by the gas pump is yours truly. :munch:
I think this is cool as hell Giz but what makes it priceless is the story it comes with. Those of us fascinated with history and historical items are slowly going the way of the dinosaur. I can still hear the dinging of the bell on that and the bell from the cars coming in setting off the air bell. Thanks for sharing.

The little chap on the curb seems to have a scowl on his face. I can see the resemblance. :lol:

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
37,404 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I think this is cool as hell Giz but what makes it priceless is the story it comes with. Those of us fascinated with history and historical items are slowly going the way of the dinosaur. I can still hear the dinging of the bell on that and the bell from the cars coming in setting off the air bell. Thanks for sharing.

The little chap on the curb seems to have a scowl on his face. I can see the resemblance. :lol:
Not to mention the smart a$$ that would blow into the end of the hose that rang the bell. :lol:

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Not to mention the smart a$$ that would blow into the end of the hose that rang the bell. :lol:
I could never imagine that would've been you...naw....:lolol:

·
Chief Stick-picker-upper
11,251 Posts
That's real cool, Keith. :good2: I remember using a couple of those, when I was a wee lad.

Look here, dude!
When you finish refurbishing it, let me know. I'll send you my mailing address to ship it to me. I won't even charge you a dime. :mocking:

:munch:

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
That's real cool, Keith. :good2: I remember using a couple of those, when I was a wee lad.

Look here, dude!
When you finish refurbishing it, let me know. I'll send you my mailing address to ship it to me. I won't even charge you a dime. :mocking:

:munch:
:drinks:

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
37,404 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

Attachments

·
Registered
4,098 Posts
That is VERY COOL, Keith!! Really looking forward to seeing (and hearing) it when it's done! Be sure to post a video so we call all hear it "ding" when you fill some tires.

Love the pic - all those guys standing there with their arms folded, looking "tough". :good2:

1 - 20 of 71 Posts