Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
21,138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is something new to me that another member mentioned in another post. Thought it should have its own thread (as dieselshadow suggested) since I am seriosly thinking of getting a pair.

Original thread:

http://www.greentractortalk.com/forums/sub-compact-utility-tractors-scut/17621-back-blade-snow-removel-tips.html

In this thread LIS Sailor posted a nice review in post #5.

Here is the Edge Tamer:

Edge Tamer | R2 Manufacturing

Looks like just the thing for us with gravel driveways using the bucket for snow removal. I've been using my bucket for 7 winters now with good success. The problem comes in the early and late winter when the ground isn't frozen yet - unless I pay close attention to the cutting edge angle I am scraping gravel. Plus when pushing back have to also pay attention so I won't tear up a lot of turf. I've become quite good at controlling my cutting edge over the years and have very little damage in the spring now but like the idea of these skid shoes.

The only thing I don't like about them is leaving the 1/2" of snow. When my driveway is frozen and have a snow pack I don't want to leave that 1/2" every time I plow. By the end of winter I'll end up with a 12" snow pack on the driveway to deal with in the spring (read ICE).

Any other thoughts on these?

·
Administrator
20,280 Posts
Couldn't you use them until a base layer was built? Then you could remove them and use your regular cutting edge.

·
Registered
21,138 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Couldn't you use them until a base layer was built? Then you could remove them and use your regular cutting edge.
That's exactly what I was thinking. Also use them in the spring after the driveway is thawed and we get those big heavy wet snows in spring.

But then the frugal part of me says that I am doing fine without these things by accurately controlling my cutting edge (most of the time).

·
Registered
110 Posts
Just remind the frugal part of you what raking rocks feels like and that part will quiet right down! Thats what i just did and it worked pretty well! Im thinking $100.00 or so wont seem like a lot after 5 minutes of raking gravel or chewing up a new set of gator blades during that first mowing session!!! I will be ordering some today i think.

·
Registered
21,138 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just remind the frugal part of you what raking rocks feels like and that part will quiet right down! Thats what i just did and it worked pretty well! Im thinking $100.00 or so wont seem like a lot after 5 minutes of raking gravel or chewing up a new set of gator blades during that first mowing session!!! I will be ordering some today i think.
You're exactly right! Plus to add to that is that while both of us could use a rake if we had to, we both would suffer for the next 3 days. I remember one spring a long time ago my wife spent 6 hours straight raking gravel off the grass back into the driveway (while I was working). Her other point was that gravel is too expensive to waste like that!

·
Registered
2,742 Posts
This is something new to me that another member mentioned in another post. Thought it should have its own thread (as dieselshadow suggested) since I am seriosly thinking of getting a pair.

Original thread:

http://www.greentractortalk.com/forums/sub-compact-utility-tractors-scut/17621-back-blade-snow-removel-tips.html

Here is the Edge Tamer:

Looks like just the thing for us with gravel driveways using the bucket for snow removal. I've been using my bucket for 7 winters now with good success. The problem comes in the early and late winter when the ground isn't frozen yet - unless I pay close attention to the cutting edge angle I am scraping gravel. Plus when pushing back have to also pay attention so I won't tear up a lot of turf. I've become quite good at controlling my cutting edge over the years and have very little damage in the spring now but like the idea of these skid shoes.

The only thing I don't like about them is leaving the 1/2" of snow. When my driveway is frozen and have a snow pack I don't want to leave that 1/2" every time I plow. By the end of winter I'll end up with a 12" snow pack on the driveway to deal with in the spring (read ICE).

One thing this site and it's members are good at is helping other people spend money.:laugh:
I saw this posted in other thread as well and thought how nice it would be for that unfrozen gravel driveway to stay put as well.

·
Registered
21,138 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
One thing this site and it's members are good at is helping other people spend money.:laugh:
I saw this posted in other thread as well and thought how nice it would be for that unfrozen gravel driveway to stay put as well.
On the other side of the coin I've been introduced to some very smart people who have made some great innovations for our machines. Chris at Artilian, Heavy Hitch, Kenny D, etc. coming up with great ideas and bringing them to market for us.

·
Premium Member
1,786 Posts
I used my rear boxblade today to scrape down some of the build-up that occurs when people drive on the driveway before I've had the chance to plow. With the rubber edge on my blade, it doesn't like to really bite into the pavement so I end up with some frozen, packed down stripes.

A couple passes with the boxblade and it was stripped clean enough that the next cold, but sunny day should dry it up.

·
Registered
523 Posts

Original thread:

Here is the Edge Tamer:

It may work on gravel real good?:unknown: Front fel and rear blade/york rake?:unknown:

·
Registered
2,742 Posts
On the other side of the coin I've been introduced to some very smart people who have made some great innovations for our machines. Chris at Artilian, Heavy Hitch, Kenny D, etc. coming up with great ideas and bringing them to market for us.
Don't get me wrong.
It's all good. I love when someone links to something I didn't know that was available.
Wether I buy it or dream of buying it.

·
Premium Member
10,676 Posts
Don't get me wrong.
It's all good. I love when someone links to something I didn't know that was available.
Wether I buy it or dream of buying it.
Right! There's been all sorts of items that I didn't realize I needed until someone posted a link to it. :good2:

·
Administrator
17,059 Posts
I've looked at them also...even talked with one of the owners since he is sort-of local to me. Seems like a great niche' product that I might buy for next year to try. A few reviews on GTT, OTT and TBN I've read are all very favorable.

·
Registered
21,138 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I've looked at them also...even talked with one of the owners since he is sort-of local to me. Seems like a great niche' product that I might buy for next year to try. A few reviews on GTT, OTT and TBN I've read are all very favorable.
That's good to know.

The only reason I hesitate not to buy a pair now (could really test them out within a month or so) is spending the money. Used to be I would just get something like this but my hobby/tractor fund doesn't get replenished now a days. Also, I kind of got my heart set on a snow pusher for next year and to do that I have to be vigilant in saving up for it.

My problem is I have a "want list" of tractor goodies that seems to grow - but the Edge Tamer has gone to the top of the list quickly.

Even with a snow pusher the Edge Tamer on the bucket still might be the way to go plowing early and late season on a thawed driveway. Hopefully I'll end up with both!

·
Registered
2,742 Posts
I was reading the FAQs and it pointed out a good point for me. I have a long nearly 1/4 gravel driveway that i try to keep crowned as much as possible.
It mentioned using 3 shoes for heavy crowns which is a good idea.

I have so many ideas for next year snow removal that all cost money.:laugh:
I really like the Artillian set up with angle 54" plow on loader arms. Naturally that is gonna cost the most too.
The snow pusher is another option and a great one. But in long stretches through the woods i would need a bunch of areas to push it off the road.
Cleared fine with bucket this year. Takes a long time naturally.
Those shoes would help alot and be the cheapest mod.

Decisions, decisions.

·
Registered
21,138 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I was reading the FAQs and it pointed out a good point for me. I have a long nearly 1/4 gravel driveway that i try to keep crowned as much as possible.
It mentioned using 3 shoes for heavy crowns which is a good idea.

I have so many ideas for next year snow removal that all cost money.:laugh:
I really like the Artillian set up with angle 54" plow on loader arms. Naturally that is gonna cost the most too.
The snow pusher is another option and a great one. But in long stretches through the woods i would need a bunch of areas to push it off the road.
Cleared fine with bucket this year. Takes a long time naturally.
Those shoes would help alot and be the cheapest mod.

Decisions, decisions.
Same here - I've been evaluating all the different scenarios this winter.

I was very fortunate in obtaining a set of Artillian forks in December. That fact made me naturally gravitate to the 54 plow setup. But after hours of thinking about it and paying attention to how I actually plow my place a regular plow just doesn't make much sense. Since I've been using my bucket for years now I have a system where I do all straight pushes anyway and it works out great. I keep the intersection of my driveway pushed way back so there is plenty of room to turn around. Also this helps if the snow pack on the driveway proper turns to ice (as it always does if it warms up and rains like it is going to do today) - I can cheat off the edges of the driveway to gets some traction.

I really have my heart set on a pusher since I do most all straight pushes anyway. But the finances might dictate that I skid that. The Edge Tamer would be a very good alternative for me. The only thing that I can't get past is leaving 1/2" of snow when the driveway is frozen. As dieselshadow suggested above, I could just use them when the driveway is soft. But one of the main reasons I am looking at the Edge Tamer is to save my cutting edge. After 7 winters now my cutting edge is showing some wear. I don't want to think about the cost of replacing it as it is not a removable edge. So if I would use the Edge Tamer when the driveway is soft, then just plain bucket the rest of the season, I am still wearing my cutting edge.

And even if I did manage to swing a pusher, I might still want to use the Edge Tamer on the bucket when the driveway is soft.

Tough decisions like you say.......

This is half my driveway and intersection:

P1330078.JPG

P1330080.JPG

·
Registered
2,742 Posts

I was very fortunate in obtaining a set of Artillian forks in December. That fact made me naturally gravitate to the 54 plow setup. But after hours of thinking about it and paying attention to how I actually plow my place a regular plow just doesn't make much sense. Since I've been using my bucket for years now I have a system where I do all straight pushes anyway and it works out great. I keep the intersection of my driveway pushed way back so there is plenty of room to turn around. Also this helps if the snow pack on the driveway proper turns to ice (as it always does if it warms up and rains like it is going to do today) - I can cheat off the edges of the driveway to gets some traction.

I really have my heart set on a pusher since I do most all straight pushes anyway. But the finances might dictate that I skid that. The Edge Tamer would be a very good alternative for me. The only thing that I can't get past is leaving 1/2" of snow when the driveway is frozen. As dieselshadow suggested above, I could just use them when the driveway is soft. But one of the main reasons I am looking at the Edge Tamer is to save my cutting edge. After 7 winters now my cutting edge is showing some wear. I don't want to think about the cost of replacing it as it is not a removable edge. So if I would use the Edge Tamer when the driveway is soft, then just plain bucket the rest of the season, I am still wearing my cutting edge.

And even if I did manage to swing a pusher, I might still want to use the Edge Tamer on the bucket when the driveway is soft.

Yes, you will flip your lid when you get a pusher.
No more stopping to dump the bucket at the end of a push. Just boom up and the snow load falls out the bottom.
Nice and quick and you're back in reverse.

The little layer of snow concerns me a little too. As much as i'd hate to get an ice layer built up, i think i hate gouging my gravel up and dumping it on the grass and in the woods even more.

·
Super Moderator
7,869 Posts

This is half my driveway and intersection:
Coaltrain,

By the looks of things you've mastered the art of plowing with a bucket! I think the Edge Tamers are a good idea and may reduce scraping. I also believe they will definitely leave a thin base which will most likely ice over. You mentioned the possibility of upgrading to a snow pusher. Would you go wider than your current bucket?

Frank

·
Administrator
17,059 Posts

·
Registered
21,138 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Coaltrain,

By the looks of things you've mastered the art of plowing with a bucket! I think the Edge Tamers are a good idea and may reduce scraping. I also believe they will definitely leave a thin base which will most likely ice over. You mentioned the possibility of upgrading to a snow pusher. Would you go wider than your current bucket?

Frank
One of the problems I have this time of year is the snow pack. It's not really a problem until it warms up like today. You can see in my pics that even with using the plain bucket it still leaves some snow pack.

The snow pusher comes in 2 sizes with the Deere quick attach - 6' & 7' - I would definitely get the 6'.

Yeah - like I said earlier - I have the straight pushing with the bucket down to a science. A snow pusher would just be a cherry on top! Even taking my time I do what you see in the pics plus the driveway to the house and trails in about 1 hour 20 minutes. I have all the time in the world and enjoy doing it so I'm not looking to increase my speed. That's what' happened when I had my 757 zero turn - didn't take long enough to mow!

One of my main concerns and why I was looking at the Edge Tamer is my bucket edge - just took a quick shot. This is of course after 7 years use:

P1330117.JPG

P1330117_2.jpg

1 - 20 of 34 Posts