Green Tractor Talk banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Guys, here are some pics I took of my setup including Edge Tamer. Lot's of peace of mind with them on there. Obviously a snow pusher is superior, but I think they are apples to oranges as one is $80 vs $1,000. The Edge Tamer skids very nicely over anything. I have about 15ft of belgium block striping at the end of my driveway apron. This was NOT good for my bucket edge. So the Edge Tamers are clutch even for just this portion.

As you can see in one picture, I can fit my finger under the edge of the blade. So perhaps between .5in and .75in gap there. The rear blade takes care of the rest, however. After practicing with this setup and I happy with the capabilities and money spent. I only did last winter and most of this one to realize I cannot plow with a naked bucket edge for even one more day. I cringe just thinking about it.

Attachments

·
Registered
21,144 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Guys, here are some pics I took of my setup including Edge Tamer. Lot's of peace of mind with them on there. Obviously a snow pusher is superior, but I think they are apples to oranges as one is $80 vs $1,000. The Edge Tamer skids very nicely over anything. I have about 15ft of belgium block striping at the end of my driveway apron. This was NOT good for my bucket edge. So the Edge Tamers are clutch even for just this portion.

As you can see in one picture, I can fit my finger under the edge of the blade. So perhaps between .5in and .75in gap there. The rear blade takes care of the rest, however. After practicing with this setup and I happy with the capabilities and money spent. I only did last winter and most of this one to realize I cannot plow with a naked bucket edge for even one more day. I cringe just thinking about it.
Thanks for your real world input and pics!

I am not really trying to compare the Edge Tamer and snow pusher - like you say they are two totally different things. For myself, I am just trying to justify one over the other although it may have sounded like I was trying to make a comparison. Even if I had a pusher I could see the Edge Tamer coming in handy when my driveway is soft. The pusher is going to push gravel along with the snow when it is soft.

Yeah - having both would be great!

·
Registered
2,743 Posts

I forgot to ask.
Do you have the 3" skids on your tractor?
Thanks.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Ok, you folks convinced me - Edge Tamers it is, and far cheaper than a snow pusher, especially as snow is a 'once in a while' thing around here. The other factor is that I have about 200 yards of steep gravel drive to worry about - I can't be chewing it up with a bucket front edge
Now I just gotta convince Tractor Girl... but I think the $80 vs $1000 price tag will go a long way to doing that! :laugh:

·
Registered
21,144 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Ok, you folks convinced me - Edge Tamers it is, and far cheaper than a snow pusher, especially as snow is a 'once in a while' thing around here. The other factor is that I have about 200 yards of steep gravel drive to worry about - I can't be chewing it up with a bucket front edge
Now I just gotta convince Tractor Girl... but I think the $80 vs $1000 price tag will go a long way to doing that! :laugh:
Here's some help. This is what my bucket edge looks like now. But mind you, this is after 7 winters on 150 yards of gravel driveway while keeping the bucket pretty much level (not with the edge pointed down). Figure about 70 times removing snow on my driveway. Actually not that bad for all that use, but this is the last winter using the bucket for snow removal. My cutting edge is still plenty usable but I don't want to wear it down any more.

P1330117_2.jpg

I think the Edge Tamer is a perfect solution for you for occasional use - as you say - much better than $1k+ for something you might use 2-3 hours per season.

·
Registered
4,891 Posts
These appear to be great in many ways for the occasional :snow: fall. We don't usually get :snow: and if we do it last from a few hours to a day or two. Not sure I need these, but if I don't, and with the wife :pray: for snow, it will snow for sure this year!! :laugh::laugh:

·
Registered
144 Posts
Ordered mine today!

Ordered two, 3-inch edge tamers with the edge extender bars as well. We are expecting our first real snow next week and I want to be prepared... yeah - I know, no real sympathy from the New England crowd here! :empathy3:
The edge tamers should help me keep the drive clean and clear paths I need around the property as well - hopefully without tearing up the turf. If they work as well as the video says they do - I'll let you know!

I will also be using the edge extenders quite a bit, as we have a quantity of dead trees that need to be cut and cleared, and these looked like just the tool for the job - and at $10 each, a whole lot cheaper than palette forks. The whole order with shipping came to $116 - a lot less than a $1000+ snow blade. Tractor Girl is the "Mistress of the Household Purse" - and she approved the purchase... mostly 'cause she knows how I am about toys :laugh: and this purchase seemed to have a high cost/benefit ratio.

Photos coming in a few days when they arrive! :usa

·
Registered
572 Posts
Thanks for the reminder

pcabe5,
Thanks for the reminder I just ordered three myself. Also asked the web gnomes to put some extenders in the box too :)

Snow.jpg

I did this by hand for the first two years we lived here, then I got a walk behind snow blower. I spent three days digging our way out last year. I also tossed some rocks through the glass on my storm door not paying attention to the chute. :banghead:. The knees cant take it any more, hence the 1025R. Eventually, I'll get a front blower, for now the edge tamer is going to get the job done.

Thanks again for reminding me. You saved me. If not for your post, it may have been too late. :snow::dunno:

21 - 34 of 34 Posts