Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Vendor
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On our website, we have the following recommendations for the size and count of your Edge Tamers:

Tractor to 18-24 hp: two 3″ units
Tractor to 24-30 hp: two 4″ units
Tractor to 30-38 hp: three 4″ units
Skid steers with single cutting edges: four 4″ units

But those are really rules of thumb. We based it on the size/weight of the tractor rather than the width of the bucket, because you could have a 5' or 6' bucket on all sorts of different weights of tractors and run them in all sorts of conditions (flat stone, big crown, asphalt, etc). This thread is for current owners to post the number & size of Edge Tamers you have, what tractor and width of bucket you use them on, and what conditions you use them in. That way members can help each other make a call on what is best suited for their situation.

Thanks!

·
Vendor
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I'll start. I have a Kubota BX (yes, it's the wrong color I know, we also have a JD) with a 48" bucket. The driveway is 750', mostly gravel, except on one part where it is severely broken up pavement (old abandoned road). I use three of the 3" Edge Tamers, mostly to protect the middle of the bucket from jamming into the uneven edges of broken asphalt. Otherwise, I would be fine with two. Here's a few driveway pictures.

Driveway1.jpg Driveway2.jpg

·
Administrator
17,059 Posts
Well, two for me worked perfectly on my 54" bucket:
IMG_3811.jpg

Sorry, not many pictures again-it was just to nasty out to take the phone/camera...I'll try today. The two Tamers allowed the bucket to glide across the driveway and more so the grass where I was trying to keep clear for the new puppy, absolutely no gouging or tearing up the turf like would have happened if I'd used the bucket without them. I will remove them later today and scrape the (paved) driveway clean, but these would really excel for anyone with a gravel or stone driveway.

·
Registered
21,139 Posts
Nice! I have a set (3) that I am dying to try but no snow this year. I had them installed and ready to go but had to remove them to scrape some ice last week.

I have a crowned gravel drive (part of which is grass in the center with 2 wheel tracks) so I went with the 3rd center one. Plus I plow a few long paths across the lawn for access to the wood shed, pavilion, and deck (and also a poop zone area for old Bentley).

I like this idea of how quickly/easily they are to install and remove.

·
Administrator
17,059 Posts
Update, with pics:yahoo:

Neighbor up the street called and needed help, they had done NOTHING since the storm started! They have a gravel drive that wasn't even marked so I had to guess at it, plus the path I made to the house through the grass I know was 50' away from the sidewalk but whatever I did what I could do. The Tamers again did a great job of keeping the bucket from tearing up the drive or grass. See pics attached:

Attachments

·
Administrator
20,280 Posts
Great work Kenny! :bigthumb:

·
Super Moderator
7,871 Posts
Update, with pics:yahoo:

Neighbor up the street called and needed help, they had done NOTHING since the storm started! They have a gravel drive that wasn't even marked so I had to guess at it, plus the path I made to the house through the grass I know was 50' away from the sidewalk but whatever I did what I could do. The Tamers again did a great job of keeping the bucket from tearing up the drive or grass. See pics attached:
Kennyd, That was very "Neighborly!" of you! :good2:

·
Registered
2,742 Posts
Looks great Kenny.
I think i might get a set of those as well.
I have to use bucket to bust back the side berms in snows this deep along the narrow part of drive through the trees.
I would wind up mangling the 54" Artillian plow set up because of the angle i have to attack it at..

·
Super Moderator
7,871 Posts
Question...
Will these go over a Expanded tooth bar? Or in between the points at least?
These will not fit on my 61" HD bucket with JD tooth bar in place due to the thick crossbar that the shanks are welded to. The Expanded tooth bar may be a different story through. That being said only two bolts removes the tooth bar.

·
Administrator
17,059 Posts
I don't think they will fit over any toothbar Joe.

·
Vendor
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
They likely will not. Two notes though:

1.) There is a template on the FAQ of R2 Manufacturing's website: FAQ | R2 Manufacturing, look under "I have a large bucket, will they fit?". If you follow the instructions, you'll have a definitive yes or no.

2.) If they don't fit, for next season we plan on introducing a set that fits over double bolt-on edges and tooth bars. This is one of our most common requests, but we've been too busy this season to make them!

I don't think they will fit over any toothbar Joe.

·
Registered
2,742 Posts
They likely will not. Two notes though:

1.) There is a template on the FAQ of R2 Manufacturing's website: FAQ | R2 Manufacturing, look under "I have a large bucket, will they fit?". If you follow the instructions, you'll have a definitive yes or no.

2.) If they don't fit, for next season we plan on introducing a set that fits over double bolt-on edges and tooth bars. This is one of our most common requests, but we've been too busy this season to make them!
I like that answer.
:thumbup1gif:

·
Registered
2,742 Posts
Printed out that pattern.
Have to dig my bucket out of snow this week to check if it will fit over BXpanded toothy bar.
But I will gladly be a guinea pig for your new longer tooth bar model when you get one welded up.
To me, it's too much hassle to remove tooth bar all the time. Easier to bolt and unbolt a modified Edge Tamer.:good2:

·
Registered
21,139 Posts
Printed out that pattern.
Have to dig my bucket out of snow this week to check if it will fit over BXpanded toothy bar.
But I will gladly be a guinea pig for your new longer tooth bar model when you get one welded up.
To me, it's too much hassle to remove tooth bar all the time. Easier to bolt and unbolt a modified Edge Tamer.:good2:
What I am doing is leave my tooth bar on for the warmer months, then in late fall when I switch over to winter mode, I remove the tooth bar and install the Edge Tamers (even though I haven't had to plow any snow yet). 10 minute change over at the most in fall and spring.

Also I need my straight cutting edge sometimes in winter - like last week when I had to scrape some semi-frozen slush from the ice packed driveway (with Edge Tamers removed).

·
Registered
137 Posts
View attachment 120177

Sorry, not many pictures again-it was just to nasty out to take the phone/camera...I'll try today. The two Tamers allowed the bucket to glide across the driveway and more so the grass where I was trying to keep clear for the new puppy, absolutely no gouging or tearing up the turf like would have happened if I'd used the bucket without them. I will remove them later today and scrape the (paved) driveway clean, but these would really excel for anyone with a gravel or stone driveway.
Are your tamers 3 or 4" Kenny

·
Administrator
17,059 Posts

·
Official "Groovie" Dude
5,663 Posts
Thanks for the pictures Kenny.👍 Quite a lot of snow to move and you're a good man helping out your neighbor.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts