Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Guys,

I use one of those yellow, plastic diesel cans to refuel my 1026R. Unfortunately, no matter what I do, the fuel just slowly gurgles into the tank about half as fast as I'd like it to. Meanwhile, I'm supporting the heavy can over the tractor's fuel port. So here's what I did: I used a very small phillips screw driver to punch a vent hole into the diesel can midway betwee the 2 handles. There is actually a square, flat spot that seems to be crying out "VENT ME HERE" at that location. Then I used a slightly larger phillips screwdriver to make the hole a little bigger. I then took one of those commonly-owned, plastic drywall fasteners (the kind that you push into the drywall and its 3 arms spread out behind the drywall as you screw in a screw) and pushed it into my hole, seating the large end of the fastener against the outside of the can. My fastener actually matched the yellow of the can perfectly! This allows air into the can as the diesel fuel escapes thereby doubling the flow of the fuel into my tractor's tank. I found that a 1/2" long roofing nail works very well as a vent seal when done filling the tank.

While filling my tank, I also noticed that I can watch the float controlled fuel guage move toward full. Wow. What I thought was a rinky-dink fuel guage suddenly seemed more valuable. It works without the tractor running unlike those modern electronic guages that are dash-mounted. It's much easier to monitor the filling of the tank via the guage rather than trying to see into the fill port with the diesel can in the way.

One final note. I was mowing the lawn yesterday and I drove close into some fir trees on my right side to cut the grass under the branches. Unknown to me, one of those branches moved the fuel shut off valve on the glass fuel filter to OFF. Well, the tractor didn't stop immediately. Instead, it waited until I was driving on the other side of the fir trees so that the left side of my tractor was against the branches. That's when it stopped (In Aviation we call this "fuel starvation" as opposed to "fuel depletion".) So there I was, on a steep hill, jammed up close to the trees, curvey edging to my left and a dead engine. I tried restarting and it would start and then stop within 2 seconds. Well, I put the range selector in Neutral and slowly let the tractor drift back down the hill toward the lake stopping it when I reached a level area.

I was half sure the hill had something to do with it since I'd been mowing for 20 minutes and this was the first point at which I had to climb a hill. I thought the problem seemed like fuel starvation but I had 3/8ths of a tank of fuel. Then I thought it might be a plugged fuel cap vent because I had been using the MMM to blow a lot of clippings across the street in the front yard prior to moving to the back yard. So I looked at the cap vent but it looked fine. Eventually, I discovered the closed fuel valve but it took a while because the tractor had stopped running when the right side of the tractor was totally clear of the tree branches. I should have checked it more closely the first time I looked at that valve. Live and learn.

Reactions: Carvel Loafer

Registered
Adamski:

Do you use a No-Spill brand can? I searched and studied and finally decided on a No-Spill. It really works quite well, but a faster refuel is always better. I have read the thread here on different fueling systems, but the five gallon can is the best for me.

Thanks,
Don

Registered
There is a link to a video in the last fuel container thread (I'll have to search for it) where the guy uses a wheel valve stem with the insides removed as a vent. Your idea seems to be working though.

I have no idea if this matters, but Brian and a few others always post about not using galvanized fuel containers for diesel. The only reason I mention this is because roofing nails are galvanized. I have no idea if using a galvanized nail as your vent cap is a good idea or not. Hopefully someone with knowledge in these matters reads this and replies.

Registered
Discussion Starter #5
There is a link to a video in the last fuel container thread (I'll have to search for it) where the guy uses a wheel valve stem with the insides removed as a vent. Your idea seems to be working though.
Andy,

I remember seeing that Utube video but my drywall fastener conversion is much easier (and cheaper).

I have no idea if using a galvanized nail as your vent cap is a good idea or not. Hopefully someone with knowledge in these matters reads this and replies.
My roofing nail is alluminum so no problem there.

Premium Member
The older cans have a built in vent. Just a little screw cap that really helps out, unfortunately they've been outlawed for one reason or another that I'm not fully sure about. They do make electric pumps that move your fuel without you lifting the tank.

See here:
Green Tractor Talk Store - Battery Operated Liquid Transfer Siphon Pump - Home and Garden Garage

And it is very good to here that you got it back started. Sometimes those diesels need some priming after they run dry.

Registered
Discussion Starter #7
... And it is very good to here that you got it back started. Sometimes those diesels need some priming after they run dry.
Martian,

According to the Owner's Manual, the fuel system is self-priming. Even with the fuel line empty, the tractor started almost as quick as it normally would ... once I opened the shut off valve.

Registered
Discussion Starter #8
Do you use a No-Spill brand can? I searched and studied and finally decided on a No-Spill. It really works quite well, but a faster refuel is always better. I have read the thread here on different fueling systems, but the five gallon can is the best for me.
Don,

My diesel can is a BLITZ or something like that. I bought it at one of the big box places so it's a very common can. After watching the Utube video again, I decided to pull out (remove) the button safety off the nozzle the way that guy did. It appears the button would prevent the valve from opening if the can tipped over. I always tie my can so it cannot tip when hauling it so I don't see any real need for the button. Now I can just push down the lever to make the fuel flow.

Like you, I find using a 5 gal can works well for me too ... and now it works even better.

Reactions: DRobinson

Premium Member
Martian,

According to the Owner's Manual, the fuel system is self-priming. Even with the fuel line empty, the tractor started almost as quick as it normally would ... once I opened the shut off valve.
That's good to know! I'll have to (re)check my manuals because I'm always scared to death to run out of diesel. Grandpa ran out of diesel as a kid and I got to help him get it back going. Not incredibly difficult, but much rather be doing something else.

Administrator
Still a good habit to not run out of diesel fuel. :thumbup1gif:

Premium Member
Still a good habit to not run out of diesel fuel. :thumbup1gif:
I'll still try to avoid it, but I rarely operate diesel equipment that's under 1/4 tank. Might let that leash go a little farther if indeed it's self priming. I don't like running ANYTHING out of fuel though.
:hijacked: Sorry, :focus:

Premium Member
The pumps might be self prinming, but its not fun sitting there cranking the engine for a long time. I highly doubt he "ran it out of fuel" by turning off the fuel valve. I have to assume the injection pump could not pump any fuel as it could not draw and it ran out of pumping action lowering pressure in the injectors shutting down the motor. Once the fuel was turned on, the pump had fuel without any air in the lines.

Some engines need to have the injector lines cracked open to get the air out. Injection pumps are lubricated by diesel, no diesel, no lube, or if you get air in the line, less lube.

I use motocross cans to fill my tanks, but I am looking at some cans like this with a trigger to control flow to make things easier.
Green Tractor Talk Store - Justrite AccuFlow 7250130 Type II Galvanized Steel Safety Can with 1" Flexible Spout, 5 Gallons Capacity, Red

Registered
Fueling my 1026r

I am not to patient when holding up a five gallon can full of diesel fuel, so I just took the lid off the can, got a funnel with a big hole in the bottom, and dumped it in. I am so sick of these safety gurus telling everyone how to make everything. I have a five gallon gasoline can which will empty fairly rapidly, but I didn't want to use it for diesel fuel for fear of getting the wrong fuel in the tank. What was the matter with making a fuel can with a vent?

Premium Member
The pumps might be self prinming, but its not fun sitting there cranking the engine for a long time. I highly doubt he "ran it out of fuel" by turning off the fuel valve. I have to assume the injection pump could not pump any fuel as it could not draw and it ran out of pumping action lowering pressure in the injectors shutting down the motor. Once the fuel was turned on, the pump had fuel without any air in the lines.

Some engines need to have the injector lines cracked open to get the air out. Injection pumps are lubricated by diesel, no diesel, no lube, or if you get air in the line, less lube.

I use motocross cans to fill my tanks, but I am looking at some cans like this with a trigger to control flow to make things easier.
Green Tractor Talk Store - Justrite AccuFlow 7250130 Type II Galvanized Steel Safety Can with 1" Flexible Spout, 5 Gallons Capacity, Red
That's what I was thinking, didn't remember the whole process, but I know do remember it wasn't fun.

That can looks really nice. I have one gas and one diesel can that have a trigger, but they are very cheap and love to leak (all plastic). I need to get some good cans of all kinds (gas, diesel and kerosene) as I've always just bought what's readily available (and cheap).

I am not to patient when holding up a five gallon can full of diesel fuel, so I just took the lid off the can, got a funnel with a big hole in the bottom, and dumped it in. I am so sick of these safety gurus telling everyone how to make everything. I have a five gallon gasoline can which will empty fairly rapidly, but I didn't want to use it for diesel fuel for fear of getting the wrong fuel in the tank. What was the matter with making a fuel can with a vent?
Done that too, ended up with half the tank on my tractor when I missed the funnel

:wgtt:

Administrator

Couldn't have said it better myself Brian. :good2:

Registered
Siphon pump works well for me

After a couple of shoulder surgeries, and another one on the horizon, lifting a full 5-gallon can of diesel fuel and pouring is out of the question. I use a battery-operated siphon pump until the can is about half full and it works really well; very easy to avoid spilling because of the see-thru hose. After the can is below the easy siphon level, I can handle pouring the rest without much difficulty. I painted the top yellow so I don't mix it up with the one I use for gasoline in my X310.

Registered
You can thank our government, in particular the EPA for our inefficient vent free fuel cans. At the risk of sounding political, everyone of us must contact our federally elected officials and voice your disappointment in the direction they have taken. Regardless of your party affiliation, your elected officials must be reminded that they work for you. They believe that you are a only tax payer, not a customer. Folks, demand better from your elected officials. Tell them you will not stand idly by while their "Instant Experts" tell you your fuel can does not need to be vented. This is basic physics and they do not understand.

You can call them, email them or write them a letter, but please voice your dissatisfaction with their behavior.

I will get off my soap box.

Thank you

Registered
Blitz fuel can fix works!

I finally did the fix from this youtube video. The results are a complete 180. Works great, it pours like there's no tomorrow. Even the gas station owner where I get my diesel was loving the idea. If you're still bumming about your blitz can, do this fix you won't regret it!

Reactions: Kennyd
1 - 18 of 18 Posts