Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's a little "something" I fooled around with in my head before putting it to the test.
Items needed:
a. One (1) medium sized Eggplant, 10" long.
b. One (1) egg.
c. One half cup of 2% milk.
d. Two (2) cups of Progresso Italian breadcrumbs.
e. One small jar of any brand Pizza Sauce (or substitute spaghetti sauce).
f. One handful of Mozzerella cheese.
g. Large cookie/baking pan.
h. Pam (or other brand) spray-on oil.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Wash eggplant, slice into 1/4" thick slices (I leave the skin on to keep the vitamin content).
Dip eggplant into milk and egg mixture (just like you make scrambled eggs).
Dip egg and milk covered eggplant slice in breadcrumbs, both sides.
Arrange them on the sprayed cookie/baking pan.
After the pan is as full as it will hold, spoon pizza sauce onto top side of breaded eggplant.
Cover top of eggplant and sauce with generous helping of Mozzerella cheese.
Place into pre-heated oven @ 350* for 30 minutes or until cheese is uniformly golden.
It was pretty good to me, and, I imagine it would taste better with salt and pepper added, but I'm being careful on my salt intake.
On a scale of 1-10, I guess I would have to honestly weigh-in at a 7-7.5 (probably higher with salt though, lol).

·
GTT's Pilot in Command (PIC)
8,558 Posts
The next time I have a reason to stop at the store, I'll pick up an eggplant! I have homemade sauce in the freezer, and I think, everything else on hand too! :fed:

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The next time I have a reason to stop at the store, I'll pick up an eggplant! I have homemade sauce in the freezer, and I think, everything else on hand too! :fed:
Normally, I would slice them the same way, batter & bread them, and fry in a skillet.
Lately though, for health reasons, been baking a lot of what I would normally fry/deep-fry.
It took me over a year and a half to lose almost 55 pounds, and just trying to maintain that win with a healthier diet.

·
GTT's Pilot in Command (PIC)
8,558 Posts
I like fried eggplant too.

Congrats on the weight loss!!!! :good2: Not an easy thing to do, if you love food. I love to cook, AND eat!! I am lucky that I do not have any dietary restrictions for health reasons, but I do get on the scales regularly, as well as note if jeans get snug. Easier to lose 3 pounds than 30!!

·
Registered
2,750 Posts
Here's a little "something" I fooled around with in my head before putting it to the test.
Items needed:
a. One (1) medium sized Eggplant, 10" long.
b. One (1) egg.
c. One half cup of 2% milk.
d. Two (2) cups of Progresso Italian breadcrumbs.
e. One small jar of any brand Pizza Sauce (or substitute spaghetti sauce).
f. One handful of Mozzerella cheese.
g. Large cookie/baking pan.
h. Pam (or other brand) spray-on oil.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Wash eggplant, slice into 1/4" thick slices (I leave the skin on to keep the vitamin content).
Dip eggplant into milk and egg mixture (just like you make scrambled eggs).
Dip egg and milk covered eggplant slice in breadcrumbs, both sides.
Arrange them on the sprayed cookie/baking pan.
After the pan is as full as it will hold, spoon pizza sauce onto top side of breaded eggplant.
Cover top of eggplant and sauce with generous helping of Mozzerella cheese.
Place into pre-heated oven @ 350* for 30 minutes or until cheese is uniformly golden.
It was pretty good to me, and, I imagine it would taste better with salt and pepper added, but I'm being careful on my salt intake.
On a scale of 1-10, I guess I would have to honestly weigh-in at a 7-7.5 (probably higher with salt though, lol).
Pics or it didn't happen. :laugh:

·
Administrator
20,363 Posts
Bill, you've been officially placed into the GTT cookbook with your recipe.:thumbup1gif:

One of these days I should try eggplant....

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Bill, you've been officially placed into the GTT cookbook with your recipe.:thumbup1gif:

One of these days I should try eggplant....
Eggplant has a LOT of ways it can be prepared.
One of my other favorite ways is to peel the skin off, dice into cubes, put into a covered pot with diced tomatoes and a splash of vinegar and a few tablespoons of sugar. Heat on low-med till the "crunch" is almost gone, and it's ready to serve with some baked chicken breasts and wild rice.
If you haven't figured it out by now, we love to eat here in the South, lol.

·
Premium Member
4,637 Posts
I like fried eggplant too.

Congrats on the weight loss!!!! :good2: Not an easy thing to do, if you love food. I love to cook, AND eat!! I am lucky that I do not have any dietary restrictions for health reasons, but I do get on the scales regularly, as well as note if jeans get snug. Easier to lose 3 pounds than 30!!
I too love eggplant; however, Sharn Jean has an aversion to cooking it (I like it battered and fried). I'm sending her this recipe, it's right down her alley!

·
Registered
770 Posts
Eggplant has a LOT of ways it can be prepared.
One of my other favorite ways is to peel the skin off, dice into cubes, put into a covered pot with diced tomatoes and a splash of vinegar and a few tablespoons of sugar. Heat on low-med till the "crunch" is almost gone, and it's ready to serve with some baked chicken breasts and wild rice.
If you haven't figured it out by now, we love to eat here in the South, lol.
Try a light drizzle of GOOD basalmic, to replace the Vinegar AND sugar, and a good shave of grated Parm on the same, and it would be nearly the same as I whip up here quite often.

Good folks like good food, and aren't afraid of putting in a little work to create it...wherever they are.;)

I have noticed Southern Folks, like their food almost as much as Rural Midwestern folks do.:lol:
Y'all just don't have the excuse of being snowbound all winter, to blame for gaining a few pounds.:laugh:

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
AND, ya'll folks up in Michigan and those parts also have two of the best eatin' fish ever to cross a mans lips, walleye, and smelts. HOO'BOY they are fine eatin' !!! :thumbup1gif:

·
Registered
770 Posts
AND, ya'll folks up in Michigan and those parts also have two of the best eatin' fish ever to cross a mans lips, walleye, and smelts. HOO'BOY they are fine eatin' !!! :thumbup1gif:
Come on up, and lemme introduce ya to Steelhead, and Proper King Salmon.:lol:

Smelt is nice and all, but picking over the fillet of a 15lb oversized Rainbow trout, is a whole 'nother planet of fish.:fed:

Holler if ya get into this neck of the woods!

·
Premium Member
4,637 Posts
Hoo Boy...ditto on the Walleye! I'll trade my share of grits for a fresh Walleye any day of the week! Good seafood is hard to come by in this neck of the woods; I did get sorta caught up on fresh fish and oysters back in September when we spent a week in Myrtle Beach.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts