Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Premium Member
17,080 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's something different.

EGO has a 200cc (equivalent) vertical shaft battery powered motor that is an exact replacement for a similarly configured vertical shaft gasoline engine in outdoor power equipment. Rumor is they will be providing this to OEM manufacturers to install in place of a gasoline B&S, Honda, etc. Neat idea.

Shoulder Sleeve Sports gear Automotive tire Gesture

·
Registered
415 Posts
Cool! Nice to see a new option for an old gas motor machine that won’t chooch anymore.

·
Registered
3,320 Posts
Hopefully they are working on a drop in replacement for a 25hp yammer diesel

·
Registered
805 Posts
I was just thinking this is a great replacement for the old dying log splitter. However, the splitter engine runs all the time - like when I’m wrestling 30” logs into place. The strength of my ego saw is that when I’m not cutting, it doesn’t use power. I hope there is a way to put a switch in place so that the engine fires up when I need it and shuts off when I need it. That’ll provide a massive battery saving and make this a viable solution

·
Registered
2020 1025R
833 Posts
I have several EGO 56V tools and have been pretty happy with them (leaf blower, weedeater, and a small chainsaw). It's nice being able to do yard work without having to wear hearing protection and the larger batteries give pretty long run times.

Best,

·
Registered
552 Posts
it wasn't all that long ago that battery power tools were crap. now you can do just about anything a corded tool can do.
Personally I haven't used a corded tool in years, except my table saw, yes my compound mitre saw is battery powered.
If I wasn't getting so cheap in my old age I would own a battery table saw too. Do not even use the compressor very often either. Cordless nailers, staplers........etc.
Now all my shop equipment is a different story.

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
it wasn't all that long ago that battery power tools were crap. now you can do just about anything a corded tool can do.
Personally I haven't used a corded tool in years...
In some cases I think the battery powered tools are actually better than their pneumatic counterparts. For example, the diameter and length of air hose, and the quick-coupler connectors all work to decrease the CFM/airflow that get to the tool. Pull the trigger on the battery powered impact wrench and it's 100% all the time (as long as the battery is charged).

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
I hope they do a horizontal shaft motor too, I have a mini bike that could use one.

Reactions: mark02tj

·
Registered
5,036 Posts
Doc....Who doesn't want a battery powered generator.?

While Cordless, hoseless is nice......I have a need for the "Big" guns...so I'll run my air compressor.

·
Registered
2020 1025R
833 Posts
Doc....Who doesn't want a battery powered generator.?

While Cordless, hoseless is nice......I have a need for the "Big" guns...so I'll run my air compressor.
I have a little of both. When I'm working in the garage I tend to use the air tools since the compressor is right there. When I'm outside, I'll switch to the battery operated tools.

Best,

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
Sort of off topic but I was for whatever reason thinking about the Dr. Jarvik battery powered 70cc artificial heart. I read where 1350 people have it.
Robert Jarvik is married to that pretty lady with the 228 I.Q. Marilyn Vos Savant.
That heart has been around 40 years...so batteries have their place!

Sent from my SM-S205DL using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
4,787 Posts

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
This is neat, but that's essentially the equivalent of a 5hp vertical engine on a push mower that will run for about an hour on 1 1/2 quarts of gas (don't hold me to those numbers).
How many lbs of batteries would be required to do that amount of work?

1 - 20 of 46 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.