Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The elbow at the inlet side of the fuel filter assembly came out on my 855. The male end of the elbow that goes into the filter assembly has some marking around the circumference of it indicating an attachment of some sort, maybe a press fit gasket that holds it into place. Is there any way to fix this short of replacing the filter assembly? I suspect the elbows are a part of it.

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
Here is the filter assembly and a PDF of it as well.

Text Diagram Auto part Line art

Attachments

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the parts breakdown but I already saw that. Again, I suspect the elbow (diagram shows a straight through hose fitting) is press-fit into the filter housing and is therefore not repairable. Having determined that I wonder why it broke loose in the beginning.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So the fitting between 2 and 8 broke? We need more info. What was it made of?
No, the hose connection on the inlet side of the filter assembly came out of the housing. The diagram above shows a straight through hose fitting while mine is an elbow, which again is pressed into the housing. Item 8 in the diagram is for the entire assembly; housing, filter, etc.

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
So what you are saying is that the hose connection is 90* instead of straight and that it just disconnected from the housing. I have outlined what I believe you are speaking about.

Nature Land lot Biome Grassland Tree

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So what you are saying is that the hose connection is 90* instead of straight and that it just disconnected from the housing. I have outlined what I believe you are speaking about.

View attachment 14973
Yes, exactly. Update - I pressed the fitting back into the housing with a pair of Channel locks and it has held in place after an hour of running the engine. I don't anticipate this being a permanent fix and will probably have to order a new housing unless you guys can offer an alternate solution.

·
Administrator
23,206 Posts
How about a Loctite product? I am think Green #290 or Red #272 might work if the parts are clean and there is a tight fit.

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
Kenny's Idea sounds good to me and you don't have to go and spend a lot of money for a quick fix.

·
Administrator
23,206 Posts
Reactions: dieselshadow

·
Registered
5,410 Posts
My enthusiasm for the Loctite approach cooled a bit after finding how much it cost. It almost equals the cost of a new part and that includes a new filter.
At least we are all smarter than we were.... That's what this forum is all about: getting smarter, one thread at a time.:thumbup1gif:

How much is a new part?

·
Administrator
23,206 Posts
My enthusiasm for the Loctite approach cooled a bit after finding how much it cost. It almost equals the cost of a new part and that includes a new filter.
Thats kind of what I figured, and why I suggested the Red #272, its available in small quantities and readily available.

·
Administrator
23,206 Posts
I had another thought, JB Weld would work as well.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
At least we are all smarter than we were.... That's what this forum is all about: getting smarter, one thread at a time.:thumbup1gif:

How much is a new part?
Yes indeed. It's fortunate to have a forum like this to reach out for fresh ideas.

The new filter assembly complete with filter, bowl, gasket, etc. is about $45, which includes shipping.

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
If you decide to go that way and you have not already gotten a price from Greenfarmparts.com I would highly recommend that you do so. They already have a discounted price and then you can get an extra 5%. Jeff is the guy to deal with.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
This has nothing to do with repairs but I think a better design for the hose connection would be a threaded connection into the fuel filter base unit instead of a press fit. There's quite a bit of vibration from the engine and with the attached hose differential movement is concentrated at the hose connection. Seems to me a simple press fit is bound to fail in time.

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
46,403 Posts
I have seen carburetors for other power equipment with pressed in fuel line adapters very similar to this. I will say "if it fell out it was not installed correctly in the first place".

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I have seen carburetors for other power equipment with pressed in fuel line adapters very similar to this. I will say "if it fell out it was not installed correctly in the first place".
I agree but I still think a better or more durable design is a threaded connection. No doubt though that the press fit is less expensive to manufacture.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.