Green Tractor Talk banner
21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
another permanent repair is to find a threaded elbow with a tapered thread and tap out the housing to fit the threaded elbow, but that would require buying a threaded elbow of the correct size and the correct tapered pipe tap & drill. Then you need to clean out the threaded hole of all metal chips. Thats just the old machinist in me. I would go with JB weld as Kenny suggested.

Reactions: 56FordGuy

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
I'm curious, would you apply JB Weld to the female part of the hose connection (press fit end) and insert it into the filter housing or just apply it on the outside where the two parts come together?

·
Administrator
22,616 Posts
If it were me, I'd apply it to the outside of the male fitting, assemble, and clean up/smooth up the excess. This way no extra product gets inside the housing and blocks anything.:good2:

·
Administrator
23,188 Posts
I'm curious, would you apply JB Weld to the female part of the hose connection (press fit end) and insert it into the filter housing or just apply it on the outside where the two parts come together?
Here is how I would do it:
1) disassemble, then clean with acetone.
2) lightly rough up the hole (female side) with sandpaper or Emory cloth around the hole- NOT up and down in the hole.
3) if the male part fits snugly in the the hole, then just do the sandpaper or Emory cloth deal again around the part.
If it fits loosely, then here is a trick I learned: Lay the part on a hard surface like a steel workbench, then place a semi-rough file on top of it, apply pressure and "roll" it, this will create a sort of knurling on the part and actually raise material to get you a tighter fit by a few thou.
4) if you are ready to assemble, clean once more with acetone-don't touch the parts with bare hands after that. Figure out a way to clamp now so you don't have to do it when you have wet glue/JBW.
5) mix the JBW 50/50 and stir well, then smear onto the MALE part (I like to use Popsicle sticks for mixing and applying)
6) press the male part into the hole and clamp, the using the rounded edge of the Popsicle stick create a fillet or rounded mound of the JBW that was squeezed out around the joint.
7) let dry in a warm area.

You don't want to put the JBW in the female side as it will be pushed deeper into the part and cause more problems.

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
Here is how I would do it:
1) disassemble, then clean with acetone.
2) lightly rough up the hole (female side) with sandpaper or Emory cloth around the hole- NOT up and down in the hole.
3) if the male part fits snugly in the the hole, then just do the sandpaper or Emory cloth deal again around the part.
If it fits loosely, then here is a trick I learned: Lay the part on a hard surface like a steel workbench, then place a semi-rough file on top of it, apply pressure and "roll" it, this will create a sort of knurling on the part and actually raise material to get you a tighter fit by a few thou.
4) if you are ready to assemble, clean once more with acetone-don't touch the parts with bare hands after that. Figure out a way to clamp now so you don't have to do it when you have wet glue/JBW.
5) mix the JBW 50/50 and stir well, then smear onto the MALE part (I like to use Popsicle sticks for mixing and applying)
6) press the male part into the hole and clamp, the using the rounded edge of the Popsicle stick create a fillet or rounded mound of the JBW that was squeezed out around the joint.
7) let dry in a warm area.

You don't want to put the JBW in the female side as it will be pushed deeper into the part and cause more problems.
Kenny, this is real helpful info for any of these type of things. I appreciate it and hope to put it some place in order to remember it for when that day comes along and I have to do something like this.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
I just received the new replacement filter assembly. Unfortunately, the inlet elbow points down instead of up like the original part. The original orientation of the elbow makes sense given the position of the upstream fuel pump outlet. I don't know if the new part is an anomoly or the elbow is supposed be that way. Hopefully somebody with an 855 can shed some light on their fuel filter assembly.

21 - 26 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.