Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
747 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think I know the ansewer but I'll ask anyway. Has anyone used an electric actuator(ram) to turn a snow plow? I'm looking at a used snow plow for my truck but its manual turn. I'd like to upgrade it but the cost of hydraulics is pretty high. Actuators can be had for under $100 for a 330# unit but for a 2000# unit they go up to $500(these are Canadian prices). I"m guessing a 330# unit would turn the plow if I lifted it but not sure if it would hold it there.....

·
Administrator
18,466 Posts
Besides being slow, it would not hold up to the weight of the tractor pushing. Snow can get pretty heavy...

Reactions: keane

·
Registered
498 Posts
Kenny's probably right though there are exceptions and they are usually expensive.

The actuators have two ratings, static and operating. I have some that have are 500 Lb. rated with a 2200 Lb. static rating.
This means they can hold one ton, but can push/pull with 500 Lbs. of force(unlike hydraulics it is the same force both ways for actuators as there isn't a rod taking up piston space).

So if you went with something like this you could work it... but you'd have to lift the blade, move it, put it down, then push.

This by itself would be time consuming not to mention that the actuators move at rates substantially lower that most hydraulic cylinders.

Not worth the price as far as I can tell

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
38,054 Posts
I agree with both replies.

·
Premium Member
1,922 Posts
Besides being slow, it would not hold up to the weight of the tractor pushing. Snow can get pretty heavy...
It depends On the actuator The County Highway department where I am does Use electric actuators to angle there side Plows That said I hear the actuators get replaced about every other Year:bigthumb:

Reactions: Fozsey and Gizmo2

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
I did it on a garden tractor. 48 inch blade, 4 inch stroke and ill have to check the numbers when I'm home tomorrow but I think its 2200 static and 1500 active. It is not as fast as hydraulics, no question. The longer the blade, the more force applied to the actuator. A 7 foot blade would generate considerable force. My actuator is overkill for my 345 but probably wouldn't be on a pickup sized plow. It is a top shelf Warner and it wasn't cheap.

Here is the actuator. It's actually 6 inch, not 4.

Attachments

Reactions: Gizmo2

·
Registered
747 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the replies. I had not considered the speed.

Fozsey do you have to lift the plow to turn it or can it move while on the ground with a load of snow on it? How wide is your plow?

I'll proably let this one go. I'd like to get a plo9w for doing my driving, originally I was going to put it on the Polaris Ranger or maybe the JD2720 but at over $1000 for all the parts for either putting one on the truck started to seem feasible. Then I'd be in a heated cab at could potentially drive over to neighbors and help them out or even make some side money. Having to get out to turn the plow would be a pain though. I'd rather it be on the Ranger then.

Reactions: Gizmo2

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Thanks for the replies. I had not considered the speed.

Fozsey do you have to lift the plow to turn it or can it move while on the ground with a load of snow on it? How wide is your plow?

I'll proably let this one go. I'd like to get a plo9w for doing my driving, originally I was going to put it on the Polaris Ranger or maybe the JD2720 but at over $1000 for all the parts for either putting one on the truck started to seem feasible. Then I'd be in a heated cab at could potentially drive over to neighbors and help them out or even make some side money. Having to get out to turn the plow would be a pain though. I'd rather it be on the Ranger then.
No problems turning into a pile of snow but its 48 inches wide.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts