Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
719 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I think it is time to consider an electric dog fence. I am interested in any experiences or suggestions you all have.

The dog is small (approximately 8 lbs) so I am looking at the systems with the collars designed for smaller dogs. The perimeter I intend to protect is around 900'. It looks like all of the kits come with 500' and I will have to add to that. We are on a wooded lot and much of that path is against the tree line. I do not plan to bury that part. I do have an area that will have to run across an open grassy area and I definitely want to bury. I did not measure but guess it is around 120'. Does anyone have any secrets for burying that run? I was thinking of Kenny's solution for buried wire https://picasaweb.google.com/113966569709555812037/Wire#. In this case, though, I only want to be a couple inches below the surface. Is there any other methods you all have done?

Kenny- did you buy that subsoiler locally or is that something you made? I don't have the means to fabricate much at my place.

I also need to cross a base coat asphalt drive (12' wide). I have a friend who just left the wire on top and has been driving on it for over a year now. Thoughts?

The other question is brand. Do any of you have a small dog pet fence? If so, please share you experience with the product.

As always, I look forward to reading your thoughts.

Lee

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
38,043 Posts
We have been using the now called PetSafe system forever, 15+ years (safe side here). Started with about 4 acres fenced in, most of which the wire lay right on the ground or on a stone wall. All drive through areas we put in 1/2" black plastic and ran the wire in it. Foot traffic and lawn mower areas we just lifted the sod back with a shovel, very easy and no after cleanup.

I tossed the wire that came with the unit and used 14g THHN. I have never changed any of it.

We now have 3 dogs and all have collars and only about 1.5 acres fenced in. 2 Miniature Schnauzers and 1 Pomeranian.
We have had to change out the controller a couple of times and the company is OUTSTANDING to deal with.

·
Premium Member
1,626 Posts
PetSafe has a cool video on how they buried their lines. They used a gas powered edger for dirt and then a skill saw with a concrete blade to go across a driveway. Pretty cool.

·
Registered
719 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
PetSafe has a cool video on how they buried their lines. They used a gas powered edger for dirt and then a skill saw with a concrete blade to go across a driveway. Pretty cool.

I will have to go look for that. I can't hear video here at work. Wait, did I just admit to surfing the web at work?

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
38,043 Posts
I will have to go look for that. I can't hear video here at work. Wait, did I just admit to surfing the web at work?
Kennyd is that you?:lol::lol:

·
Registered
719 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Keith,
Where is your controller located? I am considering putting mine in the shed but wondering if there is any consequence to having it exposed to extreme temperatures? I am happy to hear you have had good luck with it.

Lee

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
38,043 Posts
Keith,
Where is your controller located? I am considering putting mine in the shed but wondering if there is any consequence to having it exposed to extreme temperatures? I am happy to hear you have had good luck with it.

Lee
Ours is mounted in the basement. I think it has been hit twice by lightning, the company replaced them.

·
Registered
719 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
They are recommending a surge protector now. Saying that a lightning hit several hundred feet away can back feet into the controller. The "little dog" set may even include that surge protector now. I really think that the shed location would be my easiest place, but I wondering if having the unit inside the house would extend its life.

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
38,043 Posts
They are recommending a surge protector now. Saying that a lightning hit several hundred feet away can back feet into the controller. The "little dog" set may even include that surge protector now. I really think that the shed location would be my easiest place, but I wondering if having the unit inside the house would extend its life.
Probably not.

·
Administrator
18,464 Posts
Lee, I can't help at all with the fence thing...with three kids, my wife and my father living with me I stand firm the we shall have nothing else in the house that eats or poops.

But, You are welcome to use my wire burying thingie if you want. I made it all myself, and have not used it since those pictures where taken. I will help you make something different if you want as well. You are still supposed to get up here for some hooks!

·
Registered
719 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Lee, I can't help at all with the fence thing...with three kids, my wife and my father living with me I stand firm the we shall have nothing else in the house that eats or poops.

But, You are welcome to use my wire burying thingie if you want. I made it all myself, and have not used it since those pictures where taken. I will help you make something different if you want as well. You are still supposed to get up here for some hooks!
I hear you on the full house deal. Thanks so much for the offer. I have not bought anything yet. Looking at the videos it looks like I might want to look for an edger to make the buried runs of wire. On the other hand, your attachment is proven to work. And, as you point out I still want a set of those hooks. My list of wants keeps getting longer, available time and money keeps going down!

Lee

·
Premium Member
8,022 Posts
My neighbor uses a wireless system for his 3 or 4 dogs and it works as long as the batteries in the collars aren't dead. I think he said it has a 90' radius; but maybe there are units with greater range.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I put together my own 'kit' via eBay. I used middle buster, removed the plow head and bolted a piece of angle iron in its place to 'trench' in the wire. Definitely get the lighting protection unless you want to buy another unit after the first storm. For crossing asphalt i used a a skil saw with a concrete cutting blade, made quick work of it. Just lay the wire in the cut then cover it with asphalt sealant. I would strongly encourage the use of bigger gauge wire then the 20ga that comes with most kits( that is unless you want to be constantly tracking down breaks)

·
Registered
256 Posts
I've had one going on seven years now. Company called Dogwatch sold it and installed it. He used a heavy duty lawn edger to bury the cable and a diamond tipped circular saw to cut across pavement.
To say the fence works great would be an understatement. We have a small Jack Russell terrier and after only 2 days of training she was contained. Now she doesn't associate the correction with the collar so she doesn't even need to wear it. She just knows that the fence line is "the bad place"and steers clear of it. She could be chasing a squirrel (her favorite) and when she gets close to the line she puts the brakes on.

Sent from the john using Tapatalk

·
Registered
389 Posts
The electric fence thing for dog containment is what it is. It won't stop some other dog or wild animal from coming in. I realize the first post started out with small dog but there are some locations I know of that pedestrians and bicyclists are terrorized by what one would think is an attack dog in attack mode with nothing or no one visible to deter the attack. It is my understanding the proper way is to install the perimeter and flag it during the learning process. It could well be unfair to the animal to use a radius type of device. I guess they are getting more advanced with warnings and then an actual stimulation. One of the advantages of the biggest name in the industry which I can't recall is that they include training as part of the package.

·
Registered
719 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The electric fence thing for dog containment is what it is. It won't stop some other dog or wild animal from coming in. I realize the first post started out with small dog but there are some locations I know of that pedestrians and bicyclists are terrorized by what one would think is an attack dog in attack mode with nothing or no one visible to deter the attack. It is my understanding the proper way is to install the perimeter and flag it during the learning process. It could well be unfair to the animal to use a radius type of device. I guess they are getting more advanced with warnings and then an actual stimulation. One of the advantages of the biggest name in the industry which I can't recall is that they include training as part of the package.
All of those issues have plagued us with electric fences. We had "medium" dogs before (around 50 lbs each). We did the wireless fence and did not feel it worked well for us. Part of the issue is the 90 ft radius. On a multi acre lot, that is really restrictive to the dogs. I also felt like it had a limited warning window.

I am prepared to run around 1000 ft of wire to allow the dog to use most of the yard that we use. From what I read, the wired fence allows a wider buffer for the controlled space. I appreciate all of the feedback I have received and am still thinking of moving forward with this effort. Given the size of the system, I am sure I don't want to pay the price for an installed system. My only remaining dilema is which collar. It seems that size and battery life/cost are the 2 variables on this decision. I am seeing battery costs of upwards towards $120 per year. That is a tough pill to swallow. Yes, i am cheap!

Thanks again,

Lee

·
Registered
40 Posts
I am seeing battery costs of upwards towards $120 per year. That is a tough pill to swallow. Yes, i am cheap!
I went with a innotek sd-2100. The collar is rechargeable through inductive charging right on the transmitter unit. I think I have charged the collar 3 times in a year and half. The collar itself isn't huge but it still may be a bit bulky for a smaller dog.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Two acres installed cost around $1000. The salesman installed it the same day of the sales call. As I recall it didn't matter how big the yard was, the money is in the transmitter and collar.
2 batteries per year casts around $15.

Sent from the john using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 20 Posts