Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an electric gate at the entrance to my property. I use a garage door type opener as well as the built in one on the visor of my truck. What I really need is one that can use a network connection with an App on my phone.

What I want to do.

Someone comes to the gate
Pushes a button and it rings my phone
A camera shows who it is and I can talk to them
Open the gate with my phone and then shut it.

Is this even possible with just one device? I don't want some really expensive device just something that works. I hate having to drive all that way to open the gate. I figure I could use the electrical for a network. I know there are devices that do that and have gotten better over the years..

·
Registered
97 Posts
Not especially simple but it is easy and costs a few $$$. I've done it with several devices around by house and garage. I even have my tractor block heater hoked to one wemo switch and programmed for hours on that go with my operating hours.
This requires power and access to your wireless network where ever you put the wemo device.

Watch the video

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
I have an electric gate at the entrance to my property. I use a garage door type opener as well as the built in one on the visor of my truck. What I really need is one that can use a network connection with an App on my phone.

What I want to do.

Someone comes to the gate
Pushes a button and it rings my phone
A camera shows who it is and I can talk to them
Open the gate with my phone and then shut it.

Is this even possible with just one device? I don't want some really expensive device just something that works. I hate having to drive all that way to open the gate. I figure I could use the electrical for a network. I know there are devices that do that and have gotten better over the years..
What is the distance we are talking about? Wireless camera with WeMo will work if you are in range of your router. If it is just a matter of a few hundred feet, a transmitter will work or booster.

·
Registered
22,652 Posts
Gn

Just thinking out loud here.....

How about a keypad - one where the code can easily be changed and have multiple codes.

My way of thinking - you have a sign posted at the gate that in order to gain access they have to call a phone number (your cell phone). Once you verify who it is (a delivery or contractor that you are expecting) you give them a temporary code to open the gate.

I've thought about how to do this myself. My situation is a little different in that we are home 99% of the time and would like to have a gate on our driveway - which you can not see from the house. If UPS or other delivery comes, how would I know they are there and be able to open the gate remotely from the house. The sign and phone number thing won't work for me as there is no cell service here.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just thinking out loud here.....

How about a keypad - one where the code can easily be changed and have multiple codes.

My way of thinking - you have a sign posted at the gate that in order to gain access they have to call a phone number (your cell phone). Once you verify who it is (a delivery or contractor that you are expecting) you give them a temporary code to open the gate.

I've thought about how to do this myself. My situation is a little different in that we are home 99% of the time and would like to have a gate on our driveway - which you can not see from the house. If UPS or other delivery comes, how would I know they are there and be able to open the gate remotely from the house. The sign and phone number thing won't work for me as there is no cell service here.
The one that was there when I bought the house is from 1985 and installed by the original owner. It has a keypad that you can change the codes on. That system has since been deprecated. Also you need a landline of which I discarded years ago to do any programming or to use. A new upgraded system still needs a landline and are extremely expensive with or without the camera.

My thinking now might be the Wemo Maker and a Ring Doorbell. I have power at my gate (700+ feet from house and cannot be seen from the house) so I was thinking one of the network devices you connect to your electrical system. just not sure how good the video would be or how the Ring Doorbell would work.

·
Registered
22,652 Posts
The one that was there when I bought the house is from 1985 and installed by the original owner. It has a keypad that you can change the codes on. That system has since been deprecated. Also you need a landline of which I discarded years ago to do any programming or to use. A new upgraded system still needs a landline and are extremely expensive with or without the camera.

My thinking now might be the Wemo Maker and a Ring Doorbell. I have power at my gate (700+ feet from house and cannot be seen from the house) so I was thinking one of the network devices you connect to your electrical system. just not sure how good the video would be or how the Ring Doorbell would work.
I'm not up on network devices like that. But my thinking is if they are capable of using an ethernet connection. Regular WiFi wouldn't make the 700' I don't think, but if you could run a cable from it to your router.....

I'm not afraid to run ethernet cables if I have to being I have a 1000' roll along with ends and the tool out in the barn.

But these new devices might very well be WiFi only.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm not up on network devices like that. But my thinking is if they are capable of using an ethernet connection. Regular WiFi wouldn't make the 700' I don't think, but if you could run a cable from it to your router.....

I'm not afraid to run ethernet cables if I have to being I have a 1000' roll along with ends and the tool out in the barn.

But these new devices might very well be WiFi only.
Coaltrain, 1000' would exceed the distance limitation (100 meter including the patch cables at both ends) of an ethernet cable. You would have to have ethernet extenders every 200'-25-' to keep a strong signal.

I am going to try and run my ethernet network over my electrical wiring using something like this. It may take me a few weeks to get it going but I will let you know if it works.

https://www.amazon.com/NETGEAR-XAVB101-Powerline-Ethernet-Adapter/dp/B001AGM2VI

One end connects into a network box that is hardwired at the house then plugged into a nearby electrical outlet. Out at the gate another device is plugged into the electrical outlet and a network cable from their to Ring and Wemo devices. May need a hub with 4 network outlets there. I will draw something out later for you.

Do you have power at your gate?

·
Registered
22,652 Posts
Coaltrain, 1000' would exceed the distance limitation (100 meter including the patch cables at both ends) of an ethernet cable. You would have to have ethernet extenders every 200'-25-' to keep a strong signal.

I am going to try and run my ethernet network over my electrical wiring using something like this. It may take me a few weeks to get it going but I will let you know if it works.

https://www.amazon.com/NETGEAR-XAVB101-Powerline-Ethernet-Adapter/dp/B001AGM2VI

One end connects into a network box that is hardwired at the house then plugged into a nearby electrical outlet. Out at the gate another device is plugged into the electrical outlet and a network cable from their to Ring and Wemo devices. May need a hub with 4 network outlets there. I will draw something out later for you.

Do you have power at your gate?
Sounds like a good plan going forward.

One thing I was wondering is about the device you want to use at the gate. Would it be something that is WiFi only or will it work over an ethernet cable?

I don't have a gate yet. The first problem I have is my driveway at the road is 8' deep solid rock (fill) that was used to make the driveway less steep as it approaches the road. I haven't yet figured out an affordable way to sink posts. But I have been thinking about what the next step would be for something like you are talking about. And no - no power there - but my barn is only 250' away from where the gate would be. And up until 9 months ago we always had a 200# Mastiff driveway alarm.

I didn't mean to derail your thread - I hope some of the guys who make suggestions above can help you out more. I am pretty behind the times when it comes to all this electronic gadget stuff.

P1330218.jpg

P1330222.jpg

·
Registered
97 Posts
There are network devices that will do 2 - 5 miles over a single or two pair phone cable. Ethernet extenders they are referred to. Basically a residential version of DSL (like the phone company uses. I have info on them, if interested. Also, if you can get line of sight between an elevated location at the house (or where ever you casn get network to) and the gate (maybe on a pole) you can install a reletively inexpensive wireless bridge (two access points in bridge mode) that will extend your ethernet network to the gate. It is how I am getting my local network to my garage. I have had mixed results with the network over electrical wiring, not dependable in my experience.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Sounds like a good plan going forward.

One thing I was wondering is about the device you want to use at the gate. Would it be something that is WiFi only or will it work over an ethernet cable?

I don't have a gate yet. The first problem I have is my driveway at the road is 8' deep solid rock (fill) that was used to make the driveway less steep as it approaches the road. I haven't yet figured out an affordable way to sink posts. But I have been thinking about what the next step would be for something like you are talking about. And no - no power there - but my barn is only 250' away from where the gate would be. And up until 9 months ago we always had a 200# Mastiff driveway alarm.

I didn't mean to derail your thread - I hope some of the guys who make suggestions above can help you out more. I am pretty behind the times when it comes to all this electronic gadget stuff.

View attachment 340241

View attachment 340249
I am gonna ponder this for a while. I work at a Tech Company so I will ask the smart kids what to do.

I love Mastiff's. Great friends. Great for large properties not suburbia. Just don't like the poop. Way too large :laugh::laugh:

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
There are network devices that will do 2 - 5 miles over a single or two pair phone cable. Ethernet extenders they are referred to. Basically a residential version of DSL (like the phone company uses. I have info on them, if interested. Also, if you can get line of sight between an elevated location at the house (or where ever you casn get network to) and the gate (maybe on a pole) you can install a reletively inexpensive wireless bridge (two access points in bridge mode) that will extend your ethernet network to the gate. It is how I am getting my local network to my garage. I have had mixed results with the network over electrical wiring, not dependable in my experience.
You can also use fiber with fiber to copper converters at both ends.

As far as coaltrains post issues could you excavate two areas on either side of the driveway and pour concrete pads. Talk to a gate company and see what they would do.

·
Registered
22,652 Posts
You can also use fiber with fiber to copper converters at both ends.

As far as coaltrains post issues could you excavate two areas on either side of the driveway and pour concrete pads. Talk to a gate company and see what they would do.
That would be an option I guess but would take a backhoe or excavator to dig down in the rock. Pouring post bases like you are saying would work fine. But all of this is beyond my ability to afford right now.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I am thinking this might work. Need to gather the parts and see what happens. Sorry if it's upside down or sideways.

Attachments

·
Registered
167 Posts
I am thinking this might work. Need to gather the parts and see what happens. Sorry if it's upside down or sideways.
If it doesn't work just buy two nano loco m2s from Ubiquiti and make a P2P Wireless connection.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

1 - 14 of 14 Posts