Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had several Black and Decker "Hedge Hog" models.. they just dont hold up. They still work, but they do not cut very well. I need to stay with electric...
Anyone have a real nice one that works good and easy to get replacement parts??
THANKS!

·
Chief Stick-picker-upper
11,510 Posts
I've got a B&D also. Haven't had any problems, but don't use it very much. Not many scrubs around the house. When I replace it, I'm going with the Stihl electric HSE 52. A friend of mine has a landscaping business. He uses Stihl gas & electric. Told me they hold up well.

That's all I've got to offer. :dunno:

·
Registered
338 Posts
I've had several Black and Decker "Hedge Hog" models.. they just dont hold up. They still work, but they do not cut very well. I need to stay with electric...
Anyone have a real nice one that works good and easy to get replacement parts??
THANKS!
I just researched these and bought a Dewalt 40v. Looked at ECHO and Stihl and they were in the $450 range with a battery and charger. Wanted to stay away from the $125 B & D.

The Dewalt was $300 including battery and charger. The blades on the Dewalt can be sharpened and replaced.

Dewalt is great about having replacement parts available.

Phil

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
I just researched these and bought a Dewalt 40v. Looked at ECHO and Stihl and they were in the $450 range with a battery and charger. Wanted to stay away from the $125 B & D.

The Dewalt was $300 including battery and charger. The blades on the Dewalt can be sharpened and replaced.

Dewalt is great about having replacement parts available.

Phil
I may be wrong about this, but DeWalt is just another name brand of B&D. In other words, You should research who actually makes DeWalt. About a month ago I was in either Lowes or Home Depot. I turned over the box of a 3/8 drill & on the bottom of the box was the logo for BOSCH, B&D, DeWalt, & two or three others. I put the drill down in disgust because I did not know who was making what. It's all the same Chinese ripoff crap. Just comes down to what stupid color you like & how much your willing to pay. I doubt that spending, lets say $200. for a DeWalt drill which is not any better than the $75. black & orange B&D makes any sense. Ever notice how all these parts look alike except for the case cover, the box....& the so called "user bull rating". Just my own .02 0n the subject. I hate rip offs & the Chinese are the grand masters of deception.

·
Registered
338 Posts
I may be wrong about this, but DeWalt is just another name brand of B&D. In other words, You should research who actually makes DeWalt. About a month ago I was in either Lowes or Home Depot. I turned over the box of a 3/8 drill & on the bottom of the box was the logo for BOSCH, B&D, DeWalt, & two or three others. I put the drill down in disgust because I did not know who was making what. It's all the same Chinese ripoff crap. Just comes down to what stupid color you like & how much your willing to pay. I doubt that spending, lets say $200. for a DeWalt drill which is not any better than the $75. black & orange B&D makes any sense. Ever notice how all these parts look alike except for the case cover, the box....& the so called "user bull rating". Just my own .02 0n the subject. I hate rip offs & the Chinese are the grand masters of deception.
So....What is your recommendation for an electric hedge trimmer?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I looked at the DeWalt units on Amazon. Nothing but rave reviews! One review said DeWalt gave a
rebate for a free extra battery. Now if I could get that deal....I'm sold!
Thanks for the input!

Reactions: BigJim55

·
Registered
3,554 Posts
I don't see so good so I buy all nice bright yellow DeWalt these days!:laugh: Dark corners, in the weeds under the workbench... Yellow is good no matter who makes it. BUT, I'd never replace my corded 1/2" Milwaukee 2 speed variable hammer/drill. Anything that can twist MY arm like that one is good stuff!:laugh:

B&D "HedgeHog" crapped out early for me. Trigger set first trigger next. I simplified and went Stihl Kombi and found I get far less arm weary doing my trimming even though the Kombi/trimmer is "2 handed", it just balances better and has an adjustable angle head. Way less reaching. I guess there's an electric equivalent out there...?

Reactions: BigJim55

·
Premium Member
6,593 Posts
Cordless

I went with the Stihl cordless model. I really like not having a cord to cut. It is a bit on the heavy side with a battery but for the few times a year I use it, it isn't a problem. Good luck on your decision.

hsa66.png

Reactions: HydroHarold

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
So....What is your recommendation for an electric hedge trimmer?
I had an old craftsman I inherited from my dad. But when it burned out I did get a B&D Hedge Hog, but its at least ten years old or older. It cut Juniper branches 3/4" thick. I still have it & it still works but I no longer have any high maintenance plants around the house. I doubt that the B&D of today is anywhere near the quality of the old one. But personally, if I had a steady use for it & a lot of trim work, I would opt for a Sthil or a Husqvarna if they make one. I doubt there are any electric trimmers that can stand up to heavy duty use. There all average home owner junk, underpowered, junk steel for blades & made for throw away. And battery trimmers just plain stink in my opinion.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well I went with the 40V DeWalt! My local Lowe's store had them for $299.00 and a rebate for a free battery. That was enough to trigger the sale!
I've used them for about an hour the first time last week. I can say I was very impressed! They cut very well and there are no issues with the power!
I'm sold! I would recommend these to anyone that needs a heavy duty hedge trimmer. Thanks for all the input guys!

·
Premium Member
6,041 Posts
I don't see so good so I buy all nice bright yellow DeWalt these days!:laugh: Dark corners, in the weeds under the workbench... Yellow is good no matter who makes it.
I understand, but that's exactly why I don't buy DeWalt, wife don't need to know every new tool I buy & she won't notice the gray Porter Cable nearly as easy as the yellow DeWalt! :laugh:

·
Premium Member
3,964 Posts
I understand, but that's exactly why I don't buy DeWalt, wife don't need to know every new tool I buy & she won't notice the gray Porter Cable nearly as easy as the yellow DeWalt! :laugh:
Not sure about DeWalt's yard line but the vast majority of their power tools come in the same nondescript black case. This is like tool camo when it comes to the wife.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 12 of 12 Posts