Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
626 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been reading a lot of forum posts about different sprayers that people have purchase or home brewed. I am getting to a point where I really need something bigger than a hand/back type sprayer. I have a single acre with much of it being ditches that are extremely difficult to mow (weedeater is about the only method). I also have a lot of fence line around my property and frankly I could weedeat the property daily for two hours a night and have to come back and start over again. I need the ability to apply a total herbicide easier and more economically than currently.

I've been looking at several products, the majority of the 3-pt sprayers at my tractor dealers are way over priced for my budget. I can get a rig from Tractor Supply or Northern Tool for much cheaper.

TSC: They have a 3-pt unit that uses a PTO pump (not included) for $800. The Silver Series pumps which are NI rated and last the longest will run about another $300. They also have a 12V spray rig made by Fimco (terrible reviews of this product online) mainly with the tanks cracking dropping expensive product on the ground where it does not belong.

Northern Tool: They have one that is 12V and nothing else.

I kind of like the idea of getting one that is skid based and building a Carry All for it, having a tree gun could be useful, but a lot of added cost.

I would like to keep it multi-purpose; fertilizer, herbicide, pesticide, or possibly even just water hauling. I keep leaning towards the PTO pump but am I over thinking all of this?

Help! :flag_of_truce:

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
I have a FIMCO sprayer that is somewhere around 15 gallons and has a hand wand for the sprayer. It is 12v powered. I strap it to the back of my ATV and hook it to a spare battery strapped to the back rack on the ATV. I used to use it when I lived in Texas for my fence line etc. I had about 1 acre there and it was perfect. The pumps on the FEMCO sprayer's kind of suck but you can get decent life out of them if you thoroughly clean the sprayer out of any of the product and make sure have just pure water going through it before you put it up. The wands also like to gum up if you do not keep them clean. I keep a spare pump just in case. They were pretty cheap, can't remember if it was TSC or Northern where I bought the pump but it wasn't a lot of money compared to a whole new sprayer. If you have the ability I would use a ATV for spraying vs a tractor. A lot more maneuverable and easier to rig up. I would not spend $800 for a 3pt sprayer for a 1 acre lot. Not sure you will ever feel like you would get your money's worth out of it.

I mix up a double dose of Ground Kill and it kept my fence line clean for a good six months.

·
Premium Member
626 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I do not own an ATV, I have desires to use it on larger properties than a single acre though too. The idea of being able to pump water would be nice but not sure it is the most economical method.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
I do not own an ATV, I have desires to use it on larger properties than a single acre though too. The idea of being able to pump water would be nice but not sure it is the most economical method.

Well if you are using it for a bigger property it changes the equation. Remember water is roughly 8lbs a gallon so you will be limited with how much you can carry with the tractor since you have a 1 series, not sure how much capacity you really want. You may want a tow behind since you can tow much more than you can carry but only if the terrain you operate on allows towing. I just know anyway you go, you end up with some money invested in a piece of equipment you generally do not use but once or twice a year.

Reactions: clarktr38

·
Premium Member
626 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It would definitely be a 3pt. Towable is not going to work for the terrain. I am just concerned that the 12V isn't going to give me the capability. But perhaps it would be better. Cost wise anyways.

·
Super Moderator
8,202 Posts
I just purchased the Fimco 60 Gallon 3PH mounted boomless unit with the PTO pump. It's a pretty rugged unit and the poly tank is a much heavier gauge than their smaller sprayers. I also wanted to avoid the electric pump. It has a spray wand with about 25' of hose. Just mounted it today and sprayed ~3 acres in an hour. So far, so good. It was $849 at Tractor Supply. Got another $100 off for the yard unit. No freight and no sales tax so I feel I bought it right.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Reactions: jhays and 5304

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
12 volt pumps are not the best at least not the ones from Northern or TSC. You can try Surplus Center.com, McMaster Carr or maybe Grainger to see if they have higher quality ones. I would keep a couple of spares so if you have one go down on you in the field you at least have a quick fix available. If you don't do a PTO pump then probably a gas powered pump would give you what you need but then you run up quite a bit in cost and have another engine to maintain.

·
Registered
5,887 Posts
What's the downside?

One way to look at it is what's the downside of each option?

If you go electric and it's not powerful enough, you are not out much. The cost difference between a three point sprayer with electric pump and just the tank really isn't a lot on some of the sites. If you don't get it clean and it craps out, it's a minimal loss.

If you go PTO, it's a lot more bucks and may in fact be over kill. We used to run 24-30' booms at up to 30 gallons/acre with a PTO pump. The pump would handle more but even with large nurse tanks, there's a point of diminishing returns when spraying large volumes. One thing the roller pump will give you is higher volume at any set pressure. If you have fruit trees and want to use a wand, that might be useful but for fence lines and ordinary purposes it may be overkill.

Other issues with the PTO pumps are getting the set screws tight on the shaft and the fact there is a fair amount of weight hanging on the PTO shaft. I'm not sure how well the PTO bearings would stand up to a roller pump hanging on over a long term with smaller tractors. Someone on the site with experience might know. You will want a pretty good pressure regulator with a roller pump. It's really easy to bump the throttle up and get lots more pressure than you expected. The electric pumps pretty much have a fixed flow/pressure so once you set the regulator it stays until you change fluids/nozzles etc.

Treefarmer

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have 2 acres and use a 15 gal ATV sprayer on a carry all for my 1023E. I put a 2.1 gpm pump on last year a just made a 8' boom with 5 nozzles yesterday. It works good for my place, I looked at the 3 pt setups and they are out of my price range for what I need. The pump is a Fimco and has lasted 2 seasons. You can build something like this as money allows.

Attachments

·
Registered
222 Posts
I got this when I bought my 1025R, very good quality, the no drip tips are nice. my neighbor has a cheaper unit and when he turns his pump off the nozzles drip, my unit drips very, very little. I also like the fact that it is mounted to my 3pt hitch.

here is a link to the company that builds them for John Deere.

Superior Tech - Sprayers - 45 Gal. Standard Electric 3-Pt. Hitch Model

Attachments

Reactions: Doug

·
Super Moderator
8,202 Posts
Another thing I should have mentioned earlier is that I went with the "boomless" design due to many trees and some light posts on my property. I wanted to avoid the possibility of hooking and damaging the boom. The boomless nozzles disperse ~15' wide pattern at ~ 100 PSI and is tucked in pretty well to avoid obstacles and for tight spots on the outskirts of the property.

Reactions: OldmanX

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
I just purchased the Fimco 60 Gallon 3PH mounted boomless unit with the PTO pump. It's a pretty rugged unit and the poly tank is a much heavier gauge than their smaller sprayers. I also wanted to avoid the electric pump. It has a spray wand with about 25' of hose. Just mounted it today and sprayed ~3 acres in an hour. So far, so good. It was $849 at Tractor Supply. Got another $100 off for the yard unit. No freight and no sales tax so I feel I bought it right.

Nice set up. Will it work on a 1 series without maxing out the 3 pt hitch?

Reactions: Superglidesport

·
Super Moderator
8,202 Posts
Nice set up. Will it work on a 1 series without maxing out the 3 pt hitch?
Not sure what the 3PH capacity is on the 1 Series.

Figure the sprayer weighs about 200 lbs. Add 60 gallons x 8 lbs. / gallon = 480 lbs. Will the 1 Series 3PH lift 680 lbs .....?

·
Premium Member
626 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

So did yours come with the PTO pump or did you have to purchase separately? Was it a NI Series if it did or was it the cast iron?

·
Premium Member
745 Posts
Here's a thread of a 40 gallon Fimco model (LG-40-3PT-12v) that works very well. I picked one up a few weeks ago and have tweaked the nozzle configuration to provide additional spraying flexibility. Since I'm only spraying lawn grass (2 acres) and a road ditch, the 4 nozzles are easy to navigate through trees, and the hand sprayer will reach out 25-30', @ 60psi. Plenty of power for small scale spraying.

I'm not worried at all about the 12V pump, as long as it's winterized correctly, it should last a long time.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I agree with 69 project. I have a electric 15 gal atv fimco sprayer that worked well for me AS LONG AS YOU CLEAN IT VERY WELL when done. I just upgraded to a Firmco 60 Gallon 3 Point pto with a 12 ft boom. Only used it a few times so far so I can just give my initial impressions. The 3 point connection is made as cheap as possible. Would much rather see "real" hitch pins not the weld on round rods. The plastic valves and fittings are also pretty weak for a tractor mounted sprayer. Mine came with a nice roller pump but didn't include the torque arm required for proper operation. All in all it is a good sprayer and so far dose a good job but at $1000 I was expecting a little better built piece of equipment.

·
GTT Vendor
12 Posts
We utilize the 12V NorthStar pumps on our 26 Gallon Boom & Wand Sprayer and believe it or not have only had to replace 2 pumps in the last 7 years and both of those were DOA. The pumps are rated for 2.2 GPM and in our own use have definitely not found a lack of capacity. For the cost I'd take my chances on electric any day plus you get a 2 year warranty on the pump itself.

·
Super Moderator
8,202 Posts
So did yours come with the PTO pump or did you have to purchase separately? Was it a NI Series if it did or was it the cast iron?

It included the standard cast iron pump. Should be ok for my needs as I don't plan on using Round-up or anything else with glyphosphate in it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
246 Posts
Fimco supposedly updated the container from its previous design. Update was in (2015) I think. After reading about the update I purchased one (last week). Am actually going to spray tonight for the first time. Where the bolts connect the container to the frame looks good to me but I could see how there could be issues if it was drove really fast through a bumpy field. I could see it also working without the frame bolts which would completely eliminate the issue. If it breaks on me I will return it and get the new larger model with PTO roller pump or make the smaller container stay connected without the bolts.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts