Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Ok, not an extensive review, but this chainsaw is a real workhorse. Wanting to get away from most 2-cycle equipment, I got this small saw (the biggest of Stihl’s battery saws) to replace my Stihl MS 250. I had reviewed several YouTube videos including one comparing it directly with the MS 250.

it comes with a 16 inch bar and Stihl’s Pico-series chain. It is great as a limbing saw, and I can report that it did very well cutting down alders and hemlocks up to 12 inches in diameter. When it came time to cut the larger trees into rounds I went to the shop to pick up my Stihl 261 — but I was out of fuel. Plugged in my extra Stihl battery and it made quick work of the trees. I flailed most branches and saved the bigger pieces for the chipper.

It isn’t cheap — saw ($409), batteries ([email protected]) and charger ($159) added up, but I also have a Stihl battery trimmer with the same batteries. Recharge takes about 1/2 hour, and the batteries are good for about 30-35 minutes of actual cutting. As I mentioned in another post, this model is hard to find due to a combination of demand and pandemic supply problems. Very pleased with this saw, and I got good $$ for my MS 250.

Here is a link to the saw on Stihl’s web site followed by a few pics of results: https://www.stihlusa.com/products/chain-saws/battery-saws/msa220cb/

Plant Plant community Tree Natural landscape Terrestrial plant
Plant Plant community Tree Natural landscape Bedrock
Plant Tire Wheel Tree Land lot

·
Registered
244 Posts
I have an MSA 120 which is the 12" version. It's a little workhorse. I cut up these trees with it last summer .
Tire Wheel Plant Automotive tire Vehicle

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
I have an MSA 120 which is the 12" version. It's a little workhorse. I cut up these trees with it last summer .
View attachment 804617
Looks like you had a bunch of hemlocks (edit: sorry, cottonwoods!) that fell over. Good opportunity for firewood and lumber.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Looks like you had a bunch of hemlocks that fell over. Good opportunity for firewood and lumber.
Those were cottonwoods. In any event my woodburning days are over.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Nice review but way too expensive for what it is. The only battery saw that remotely has my interest is the dewalt pole saw and only due to how infrequently it would be used.

Reactions: Treefarmer

·
Premium Member
13,024 Posts
I have the Echo 58V chain saw and am very happy with it. Like with any other chain / pole saw, its important to keep flipping the saw bar when you sharpen the chain or switch chains. It equalizes the wear on the bar and it also keeps the bar oil flowing more consistently. I use the same batteries for the 58v power head, which is also the string trimmer, pole saw, hedge trimmer and on and on.

For those who don't heat with wood or cut wood often, the electric QUALITY saws are a good investment, because it saves on the 2 stroke fuel related issues. Plus, you can grab the saw, snap in the battery and squeeze the trigger and cut. wood. For the home owner, this is a great tool and I would suggest all of the quality battery tools before spending the money to purchase their 2 stroke equivalents.

It's nice to not have to wear hearing protection, but still use all of the other safety equipment because the battery saws are just as dangerous. Also, the battery saw chain speed reaches cutting speed faster than the gas powered saws.

The 4ah batteries have plenty of power for the saw and all 58v tools. I have two 2ah and two 4ah batteries and I would only purchase the 4ah batteries in the future. The hand held blower and the saws chew up the 2ah batteries quickly. The 4ah batteries last longer and seem to charge just as quickly.

Like other platforms, the same batteries also run the lawn mower Echo offers. For a homeowner getting started in lawn care, the battery platform is where I would focus, as it has the power and durability to perform the tasks, without the hassles of ethanol fuel.

Just avoid any platform which requires multiple different batteries and chargers based upon the specific tool. It does make sense to be able to the batteries across the tool platform. You also want a battery with a strong warranty as the batteries are expensive and should you have issues, its nice to have the full 5 year battery warranty Echo provides.

The well built battery tools are balanced well and a pleasure to operate. The maintenance is very minimal, keep the tools clean and the chains sharp and the bar oil filled.

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
Part of the enjoyment of using a chain saw is the visceral 2-cycle engine ripping sound, and blipping the throttle like a Moto Guzzi at a stoplight. How do all the neighbors know that you're working when the saw is an electric? :)

·
Premium Member
3,284 Posts
I have had the Milwaukee M18 saw and been happy with it. i also have two Sthil saws. u use the Milwaukee saw more than the sthils but my sons love the power of the farm bass with the 20 blade.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have the Echo 58V chain saw and am very happy with it. Like with any other chain / pole saw, its important to keep flipping the saw bar when you sharpen the chain or switch chains. It equalizes the wear on the bar and it also keeps the bar oil flowing more consistently. I use the same batteries for the 58v power head, which is also the string trimmer, pole saw, hedge trimmer and on and on.

The well built battery tools are balanced well and a pleasure to operate. The maintenance is very minimal, keep the tools clean and the chains sharp and the bar oil filled.
SullyBear -- agree with your comments, especially about keeping bar oil filled and flipping bar after each sharpening (both are essentials regardless of "fuel"). My biggest challenge so far is remembering to add bar oil, since I've always added gas and oil at the same time. My approach is to refill after every use.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts